Tundra Burned Rubber Smell / Noise

PaintRock

Adventurer
Hi every body,

I’ve been having an intermittent issue with my ‘03 Tundra with the 4.7. It will make a strange grinding noise and I’ll smell burned rubber too. Not necessarily at the same time. I’m guessing the a/c compressor pulley or clutch is going out? I guess I should pull the serpentine belt and see if it’s hard to turn but I’m currently in more of an internet research mood than a get greasy mood. Has anyone else had this problem or have any ideas? The truck is about to hit 175k.

D

Deleted member 9101

Never had that problem when I had my 2002. Easy way to tell is to drive with the A/C off and see if it still happens.

PaintRock

Adventurer
It happens without the a/c. It’s winter here so it hasn’t been on in a while. I’m wondering if the pulley is freezing up even though it’s not on. Like I said, it’s intermittent so it’s hard to diagnose. It could be the power steering pump too I guess, or even the alternator. I replaced the alternator five years ago so that’s a possibility. The gauges stay in nórmal range even when I hear the noise.

PaintRock

Adventurer
Well, mystery solved. The bearing in the tensioner pulley was seizing up. It finally seized completely. The bearing in the pulley was able to be replaced without having to replace the whole tensioner (much less work involved). I wish I had caught it sooner...

D

Deleted member 9101

Well, mystery solved. The bearing in the tensioner pulley was seizing up. It finally seized completely. The bearing in the pulley was able to be replaced without having to replace the whole tensioner (much less work involved). I wish I had caught it sooner...

Ahhh... Glad you found the culprit.

Every time did the timing belt, the tensioner was one of the items I replaced, so I never had that problem with mine.

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
I’ve had an engine noise on my Chevy for about a year. This thread inspired me to change the serpentine belt idler and tensioner. The noise went away and the engine is nice and quiet now.

bkg

Explorer
Never had that problem when I had my 2002. Easy way to tell is to drive with the A/C off and see if it still happens.
that will only tell if the AC clutch is the issue... Could still be the adjuster pulley.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears