Tundra COIL SPRINGS question (OFFROAD package vs. SR5 vs. CREWCAB/CREWMAX vs 2WD/4WD)

nurbs

Hey guys -

I have searched all over the net to find an answer to this, but have not been able to get a straight answer.

About to purchase a 2013 RCSB 4x4 with the SR5 package. Wanted the offroad package but there weren't many of these left with this package and the color I wanted. I also don't want to do any aftermarket suspension/lifts with this and want to stay as OEM as possible.

So figured I would just upgrade the shocks to the OEM BILSTEINS (the ones that comes with the offroad package).

Here are the part numbers for the OEM BILSTEINS for both the front and rear if any of you are interested:

ABSORBER ASSY, SHOCK, FRONT LH
ABSORBER ASSY, SHOCK, FRONT RH
Part Notes: 4WD, W/OFFROAD PACKAGE, W/O CREW MAX
part number: 48510-09R10

ABSORBER ASSY, SHOCK, REAR RH
ABSORBER ASSY, SHOCK, REAR LH
Part Notes: 4WD, W/OFFROAD PACKAGE, W/O CREW MAX
part number: 48530-09N40

The OEM Bilsteins appear to be the same part number for all configurations and trims (someone correct me if I am wrong) on the Tundra with the OFFROAD package or the ROCK WARRIOR package.

However, the COIL SPRINGS are not! My question is - even though the part numbers are not the same, are the springs the same? Or are they different for each configuration? (4WD vs 2WD, SR5 vs TRD OFFROAD, standard cab vs crewcab vs crewmax).

The reason I ask is because there is a DIFFERENT part number for the COIL SPRINGS for each and every configuration and trim. They are also priced differently, so they can't be the same, right?

Here is the part number for the 4WD REG CAB (126 inch wheelbase) OFFROAD package:

SPRING, FRONT COIL, LH
Manufacture notes: MARK 48510-0C030,OFFROAD PACKAGE
48131-0C081

SPRING, FRONT COIL, RH
Manufacture notes: MARK 48510-0C030,OFFROAD PACKAGE
48131-0C071

The crewcab and crewmax have different part numbers for the coil springs, as well as the OFFROAD vs regular springs. My question is - ARE THEY THE SAME SPRINGS? Are they progressive/linear like some forums have been discussing? Are the crewmax springs stiffer than the regular cab coil springs?

I am thinking about just upgrading the shocks and leaving the current coil spring I have in there now (non TRD OFFROAD springs).

Anyone have any ideas? I am also going to cross post this on other forums and see if anyone knows for sure.

Thanks!

Mrknowitall

Adventurer
I probably wouldn't bother with the OEM Bilsteins and go straight to the adjustable 5100's. That way you can use that to level the truck later on, should you change your mind. But to each their own...
Each application will have slightly different spring rates. You can of course order anything that the parts counter has patience for. Have fun.

mike h

Adventurer
Why go thru the trouble to replicate a TRD suspension package when it isn't really that different? I'd strongly suggest looking into a base Old Man Emu or Icon suspension which will make a solid improvement without affecting any driveline or braking issues. Nor will it affect your warranty. The TRD packages are more valuable for skids and smaller wheel sizes - the suspension isn't that much better.

nurbs

Why go thru the trouble to replicate a TRD suspension package when it isn't really that different? I'd strongly suggest looking into a base Old Man Emu or Icon suspension which will make a solid improvement without affecting any driveline or braking issues. Nor will it affect your warranty. The TRD packages are more valuable for skids and smaller wheel sizes - the suspension isn't that much better.

Have you driven the SR5 springs vs the TRD springs? I have, and they both handle very differently.

The only skid plate that comes with the RCSB w/ offroad package is the fuel tank skid plate - and that is a JOKE. It is made of plastic that is very loosely held together by a strap and some screws. You can even wiggle it around when it is attached. I will be adding budbuilts to mine.

This post was simply asking if anyone had any experiences with the varying springs on the different trims and configurations. That is all. Was not asking what aftermarket spring to get or which is better. I posted this question on different Tundra forums hoping to get some info on this, even saying in the original post:

"I also don't want to do any aftermarket suspension/lifts with this and want to stay as OEM as possible"

If no one has any experience with the varying TRD springs that is cool, but I am not looking for any opinions on aftermarket springs/lifts/leveling shocks/kits.

mike h

Adventurer
Sorry, didn''t mean to set you off. I've been shopping for a 2010 or newer Tundra Crew Cab for my next build and yes, I have been test driving several. No, I cannot answer your specific part number question. Wasn't trying to derail your post. Good luck with your build and please update your post if you get an answer on another forum.

nurbs

Finally got it all installed. Got the OEM TRD coil springs (for the 146" wheelbase part number) with OEM Bilsteins. It lifted the front of the truck about 1-2 inches. Love the look, and the ride is great.

So with Toyota's "offroad package", it is not just upgraded shocks as some have mentioned. It also includes a different set of TRD coil springs (two versions, one for the 126 inch wheelbase (reg cab) and one for the 146 wheelbase (crewcab and crewmax).

11699817714_39af23fc25_o.jpg

11700689426_2031b6e789_o.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger