Tundra For Expedition??

STAGE 2

Adventurer
kellymoe said:
My current rig is a Land Rover 130 double cab with terrible turning radius and it has been a wonderful rig, wouldn't trade it for the world. I have done lots of tough tight trails in it and it just take a little more work than the short wheelbase trucks but it still gets through.

Yeah, but how wide is you LR. My wife and I sat in a tundra and with my arm reached out I couldn't reach her neck. The tundra is a BIG truck. I wouldn't be surprised if your LR is a foot narrower.

But then again, as others have said, it all depends on what your definition of "expedition" is.

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
I am nowhere near an expert on the subject but I did a bit of research as I was interested in using it in conjunction with Marc's soon-to-come XPCamper

A few personal comments:

-I really like the inside. It feels smaller and sportier (to me) than most full size truck.
-My girlfriend loves the look of it. Huge bonus there.
-Power is amazing.
-Payload is around 1400 lbs I believe. I was a bit disappointed as I was expecting more.
-MPG seems a bit low for me. I am afraid once loaded with gear/camper/etc you’ll be lucky to get 15.
-Does not come with a rear diff lock (like the Tacoma).
-After market products seem expensive and for the moment rather limited. ARB bumper is almost twice the price of a Tundra’s.

This said I really like it and would love to own one.

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
My experiences so far have lead me to a few conclusions with the first gen Tundra. First off, I love the truck. From a styling standpoint I actually dig the subdued looks compared to alot of other trucks that seem over styled in an effort to look tougher. Kind of a pet peeve. Anyway, on the highway the truck is great. Effortless power, decent economy (around 18mpg cruising on the higway so far), great visibility out, and a suprisingly quiet, car-like ride. I've towed my 80 on my trailer in lousy conditions and it did great. The tranny seems to adapt well to holding gears when needed versus hunting.

Offroad, I'm not quite so impressed. The biggest hindrance seems to be traction, as my Tundra is an SR5 and has an open rear diff. Even in 4wd in low traction situations, the truck doesn't seem to get its power down well. Not sure if it is due to the lack of weight over the rear wheels or just the lack of articulation the truck possesses.

Compared to an 80 series, the Tundra, though tight driving, lacks the heavier duty feeling that the Cruiser has. I have no doubts as to the durability of the Tundra as a daily driver and work vehicle as engineered, however as a vehicle that sees heavy offroad use I'd be a bit concerned. As something used for hauling a camper and exploring unimproved dirt roads I think it is in its element. I can't see it as much as a dedicated trail rig thought without alot of mods.

suntinez

Explorer
Pics of my 2007 Tundra doublecab, 4x4, SR5, longbox, 5.7L engine. One with the flippac and BFG AT 285/65/18s added, one before. It's done great offroad so far ... more challenges as the weather warms I hope.

closed1.jpg

newtruck.jpg

suntinez

Explorer
Yeah sometimes it feels like that ... mostly when I'm driving to the outer reaches of a parking lot looking for a spot to squeeze into :) But it's pretty comfy for camping, way more important!

One_LastWord

My project truck is going to be a first generation Tundra regular cab long bed, modified with 4-wheel independent long-travel (stock width) suspension (4x4 obviously). Possibly with a diesel drivetrain. And the rest of the expedition equipment. Basically a narrow lightweight version of a hummer, but with Toyota's ultimate longevity!

Any thoughts?
-NB

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle