Tundra owners HELP please

Petrolburner

Explorer
I am in the middle of moving from the south east coast of Florida to California for a new job flying cargo for Ameriflight. I am in El Paso Texas now and hope to be in Phoenix tomorrow. I have an inner CV boot on the passenger side that has torn and pretty much disintegrated. I will have a place to work and I have all my tools with me, but I will have a very short period in which to work. Can any body give me any tips or a link to a factory service manual on how to pull the right side axle? Also, is there a better CV boot to use other than a factory Toyota unit? I seem to remember something out of a Porsche is good. If it is something I have to order from the internet and wait a week for then I just can't do it.

I'm borrowing some WiFi from a hotel right now, I will try to find some wi fi later to check in.

Thanks for any help guys.

PS I put new rims and Dyna Beads on and they are freakin awesome. I have Treadwright mud tires and Dyna Beads and love them both.

34407_642494005413_71201345_37008943_4440598_n.jpg

zidaro

Explorer

HMR

Rendezvous Conspiracy
Your easiest option is probably to pick up a remanufactured axle assembly from an auto parts store.
+1. You'll likely get a "core charge" (partial refund) for your old axle assembly. Buy the new part from a big store (Napa, Kragen, etc.) and they should honor the core charge at any of their locations.

PS- Congrats on the new job! Do you know which plane and/or route you'll be flying @ AmFlight?

Petrolburner

Explorer
PS- Congrats on the new job! Do you know which plane and/or route you'll be flying @ AmFlight?

Flying the Chieftain, not even sure of the base yet. Either Oakland or Portland and i'm going to bid SLC asap.

Any ideas on which CV boot I need from kartek? http://www.kartek.com/Product/DriveTrain/CV/Boots/930Boots.html

I'm guessing the 930 Bates style overboot but there are a few others that look ok and I'm not sure of the dimensions.

Borrego60

Rendezvous Conspiracy
Sometimes Youtube has videos on how to do things to your vehicle might give it a look see. I do have a factory manual for the 03 tundra all 3 of them.

Dr. Freud

Did you get everything worked out?

That's too bad that your boot blew out on you. I always feared being in that situation, as I had lift spacers on the front of my Tundra and had to take a couple 1300 mile Minnesota to Colorado trips in it. Fortunately my boots never had any failures, but they did spit the grease out like everyone says they will once you lift the front end.

X3 on just buying a new CV shaft assembly rather than a new boot because of the price....but I guess in the long run will the problem really be fixed?? What suspension setup are you running up front? Differential drop on there?

My effort to say something helpful-
Not sure what the FSM says, but I found it easier to just unbolt the bottom control arm from the spindle, rather than messing around with undoing the ball joints and possibly tearing the boots on those too.

I hope you make it safe and sound, and I like your truck!

Petrolburner

Explorer
I threw the new shaft in without too much trouble. Also found out I had a bad piston in my front caliper, it had seized and wore one of my pads out unevenly, got in to the squealer section and made the most God-awful noise. I couldn't figure it out at the time. Then I realized what it was and put a new caliper and pads on that side. Spun the wheel and it was still making noise, accidentally bent that dust shield in a bit and it was rubbing the rotor. Now it all seems to be ok and I'm driving from phx to Burbank today, hoping to get better mileage now that my brakes aren't dragging.

64301_643338443153_71201345_37030712_4465301_n.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12