Tundra Shake?

huntoon

Adventurer
16520604665.281803756.IM1.MAIN.565x421_A.562x421.jpg

Hello World.

I was talking to a dealer selling a Tundra (2000, 175K Miles, 4x4, Reg Cab, Auto) and he told me that "the truck vibrates at around 55-60 mph because of the off-road tires (31" normal looking ATs)." I asked him whether the vibration went away past 60 and he said he never took it past 60.

Now, I have driven brand spanking new Tundys and have experienced the freeway cement interval vibration at 60 but then you go to 70 and it smooths out. I think I have read a thread on it here before on how Tundras wheelbase is just such that this would happen.

Is this a similar story?

The only other info I have on the truck at the moment is that it has 2 previous owners (apparently a father then son for electric company) and the O2 sensor was replaced by this dealer. everything else is peachy (of course). I haven't driven it yet because it is far away, but it is essentially the exact truck I want and at a smoking deal. I have owned many toyotas with similar or higher mileage and am not worried about that aspect.

Ideas? Thank you!
JON

iigs

Observer
It could also be brake rotors. You might try coasting to a stop with the lightest brake force to do the job and see if you can feel it lurching forward as the rotors spin.

My Toyota manufactured car (Lexus GS400) has this problem and I've given up trying to get it to go away. One stop from [redacted] to zero on worn in but otherwise perfect rotors and pads will do it for me.

D

Deleted member 9101

I have a 2002 on street tires and it vibrates between about 68-73 MPH if I remember correctly. No matter how the tires are rotated or balanced it has it.

I solved it by doing either 65 or 75...********

01tundra

Explorer
I bought my truck new in 2001 with about 15 miles on it and it shook from the minute I drove it off the lot once it got to about 65 MPH, and continued to do so no matter what the dealer tried. It actually rides smoother on the interstate now with 1-ton axles, beadlock wheels, and 40" tires than it did when it was stock.........go figure :rolleyes:.

huntoon

Adventurer
Thanks

Thanks for the replies. I will post an update after test-driving it.
Also, i was reading on Tundra Solutions and found that many many people experience this shake. The solutions tended to be replacing some part in the rear driveline. Some were the axels, some were the diffs , and some were other things.

Thanks,
JON

jim65wagon

See, I honestly don't remember mine shaking when it was new until I put the steel wheels on. With the BFG ATs it was annoying at 50-55. The Coopers are smoother at speed and it still has a mild shake to it, but I always chalked it up to my not quite round wheels...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears