Tundra vs 5.9 Cummins - Help!

Clutch

<---Pass
Imagine that :)

Also imagine a response about how diesels are hard to justify, being countered by little more than RESALE value of all things :********:

I buy my trucks to drive.

From a purely financial point of view, buying a truck only to sell it simply doesnt stack up.

In order to get even remotely close to a return on your investment, you pretty much need to drive it till it quits.

:D

Even though I am self employed, I am still a working class stiff. There will always be some sort of compromise with vehicles...there are certain things I need and want...but also the bottom line comes into play. I keep my vehicles for a loooong damn time. I want one that has a relatively low cost of ownership. Out of warranty diesel ain't it....

...now if I traded in when the warranty is up, yeah I would give a diesel a go. But trading in all the time doesn't seem too cost effective to me...nor time effective either, I fricken hate dealers with a passion. having to do that process every 3 years sounds awful to me.

Last edited:

p nut

butter
Hey, Dalko -- until you actually buy a diesel and run it 350k miles, ain't interested in what you've got to say! :D
-
I do hope emission tech gets better/more reliable with diesels, though. I know that's been a sore spot for diesel fans. Some of who, unfortunately, take matters into their own hands. Which does even more harm than diesels already do.
-
Future is electruc, though. Instant torque, good service life (and continually improving). They just need to figure out that battery thing.
-
Edit: Just looked up this B50 rating. Means 50% of engines may potentially reach the rated mileage (not a guarantee. Based on past stats). So, half of Cummins will reach 350k miles before a major overhaul. If that's correct, I'm not too impressed...

Last edited:

quickfarms

Adventurer
Man, I bet most overloaded trucks have survived ok. But so have most people who don't wear seat belts. :sombrero: Carry insurance. Run bald summer tires. I guess we all have our tolerance for risk. For me, I do trust the ratings (and even feel sometimes they're a bit too generous). And hesitate to be even CLOSE to that number. Same with other things, like towing. My truck is at 7,600lb max towing. You probably won't ever catch me pulling near that. The engine will pull it just fine, like on the Tundra. Suspension, braking, steering, etc. will be affected, though. If I were to get into an accident, and someone were to get hurt or worse--probably couldn't live with myself knowing I was stupid enough to ignore clearly laid out capacities of the truck. I'm not passing judgment on anyone else, but just remember the ratings are there for a reason.
-
Most of these people are (probably) still alive today! :D
6a00d83451b3c669e2014e86ba94f4970d-800wi

2322958485-eb485b56de-o_orig.jpg

overpacked.jpg

africa-1.jpg

overloaded-truck.jpg

Three of the vehicles are toyotas, one is a ford and I don't recognize the station wagon

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Buying a vehicle isn't an investment.

This is where you got lost.

Of course it is an investment. It is a depreciating asset, for sure, but it is also an investment.

And being a depreciating asset, operating costs are even more important.

So is spending LESS, on the initial purchase. Like spending that 20% more for a diesel, that has higher operating costs. ;)

Paddy

Adventurer
My oil change in the diesel cost 180$ in parts alone. Chew on that for a minute.

Doesn't include air filter either, which is 85$ btw. Fuel filters? I have 2. Coolant takes 30 gallons of distilled water to change, plus I think 8 gallons of coolant.

We could do this all day but let's just boil it down to this. Diesel isn't just a fuel it's a disease. If you can avoid it, do so. If you can't, don't expect it to pay you back. It won't.

Clutch

<---Pass
Future is electruc, though. Instant torque, good service life (and continually improving). They just need to figure out that battery thing.
-

They already have, just think of never having to refuel in your lifetime...of course there are some draw backs. :D

LINK

yota_mota

I've been driving a 2004 gmc 2500 gasser for about 8 months now after "upgrading" from a '98 1500 and all I noticed is that the stoutness of the truck is pretty obvious and it seems like it can handle almost any load thrown at it. However, and it is a huge however, the power coming from the 6.0 is SERIOUSLY lacking! My towing capacity is 7600 (on paper) and I have a 5400lbs 5th wheel that it struggles to pull. The motor only has 115k on the clock but it acts like 315k when towing because both the coolant and trans temps start climbing fast. The gas mileage isn't great but it isn't terrible either at 14-15 highway with a 4" lift and 35" tires. I would love to do a 6bt swap but apparently guys want a fortune for ctd engines nowadays and I can't have my truck down for too long to do the swap. What I do plan on doing is going from 3.73 to 4.10 gearing because my truck sees very little freeway time and is definitely not a commuter vehicle. And as far as the engine goes, I'm planning on throwing a cam, some cnc heads on it with a tune and some long tubes in order to get the torque number up. So my point is, you can take a heavy duty gasser, save money on the purchase price and maintenance, and add your own little touches to make it perfect. In my opinion, there isn't a single vehicle that comes from the factory that's perfectly suited to your needs unless you're willing to have $800 a month payment or flat out spend 50-60k. Just remember that getting a diesel version of any truck adds $7k-10k to the purchase price straight out the gate.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dalko43

Explorer
Hey, Dalko -- until you actually buy a diesel and run it 350k miles, ain't interested in what you've got to say! :D

And until you and Clutch can provide better feedback on diesel ownership than 'my friends don't drive diesels anymore' I think people on here should take whatever you two say with a pound of salt.

I do hope emission tech gets better/more reliable with diesels, though. I know that's been a sore spot for diesel fans. Some of who, unfortunately, take matters into their own hands. Which does even more harm than diesels already do.

Again, this demonstrates to me that your understanding of the topic is only surface deep. The modern emissions systems, while not infallible, are much more reliable nowadays. You talk about how it's a sore spot for diesel fans, and yet I wonder if you even have enough of an understanding on the topic to explain what the potential failure points are and why. The vague criticisms you throw out lead me to believe that you are simply reading other forum posts to develop your opinion on the matter. The 2007 era diesel emission system is not exactly the same as the emissions systems currently being used; I encourage you to read up on the systems and the changes (arguably improvements) that have been made.

People have been saying that for almost 20 years now and yet it hasn't happened, primarily for the reason you noted (in bold). Personally I think hybrid technology (both gasoline and diesel) as well as Hydrogen fuel cell have much better prospects because the battery capacity is such a shortcoming for EV's.

Edit: Just looked up this B50 rating. Means 50% of engines may potentially reach the rated mileage (not a guarantee. Based on past stats). So, half of Cummins will reach 350k miles before a major overhaul. If that's correct, I'm not too impressed...

1) Most gasoline engines aren't rated to that 350k life. Heck, most manufacturers don't even indicate what the engine life is on their gasoline engine because they don't want it advertised to the public. So you snicker at 350k, but the fact that Cummins and other diesel makers are actually willing to put that stamp on their products should tell you something about their confidence in the engine's longevity.
2) the B50 life is the estimated mileage at which 50% of the engines will need major repairs, not necessarily overhauls. So even an engine that needs work at that point has the potential of living beyond that point.
3) Plenty of diesel engines, even the modern ones, last well beyond that 350k mark. Turbo Diesel Register, among other sites, tracks quite a few examples of engines lasting 500k and well beyond.
4) There is a reason why diesel engine trucks (at least those that were made well) fetch such a premium on the used market. Again, go compare a used 2006 5.9l Ram Cummins to a 2006 Ram Hemi of comparable mileage; the Cummins fetches a higher price because people expect the Cummins to last much longer (the truck itself may not be so lucky). Go look at all the imported diesel LandCruisers on LandCruiser Direct (http://www.landcruisersdirect.com/). Do you think anyone would be paying those kinds of prices for gasoline rigs of comparable age and mileage?
5) It's funny that you accused diesel owners of relying on rhetoric to prove their point about diesel's longevity, which was in and of itself a rhetorical statement. Meanwhile I provide you engine life ratings, which up until this point, you haven't even heard of.

Last edited:

p nut

butter
Breathe. Enjoy life. :D One thing I like about this Domestic forum is the light atmosphere. Campfire at midnight type of chat. Unfortunately, you seem way too uptight for that. Sorry, putting you on the ignore list. Have a good one. :)

Clutch

<---Pass
And until you and Clutch can provide better feedback on diesel ownership than 'my friends don't drive diesels anymore' I think people on here should take whatever you two say with a pound of salt.

Dayum! That is generous! I wouldn't take what I say with a grain of salt! :D I can do a lot with a WHOLE pound, thanks mang!

You act like I have no experience with diesels, all of our earth moving equipment was diesel. Our construction business was started in the late 60's. I grew up around and operated heavy equipment for a living. Hell, my fine feathered friend, we used to have our own fuel pumps at our shop, bought gas and diesel by the thousands of gallons.

Diesel used to cheap to own and operate, that is no longer the case. Not sure why you are trying to convince us otherwise. The more you have to spend with both the initial purchase and to maintain the less profit you net. Which equals ¡No Bueno! in my ledger. :D Have watched the cost of doing business explode over the years, there is a reason I am cheap SOB....the bottom line, the bottom line!

I dunno, you're just regurgitating what you read on the inter-google-machine, until you get some real world experience, well then....

Last edited:

UHAULER

Explorer
I've been driving a 2004 gmc 2500 gasser for about 8 months now after "upgrading" from a '98 1500 and all I noticed is that the stoutness of the truck is pretty obvious and it seems like it can handle almost any load thrown at it. However, and it is a huge however, the power coming from the 6.0 is SERIOUSLY lacking! My towing capacity is 7600 (on paper) and I have a 5400lbs 5th wheel that it struggles to pull. The motor only has 115k on the clock but it acts like 315k when towing because both the coolant and trans temps start climbing fast. The gas mileage isn't great but it isn't terrible either at 14-15 highway with a 4" lift and 35" tires. I would love to do a 6bt swap but apparently guys want a fortune for ctd engines nowadays and I can't have my truck down for too long to do the swap. What I do plan on doing is going from 3.73 to 4.10 gearing because my truck sees very little freeway time and is definitely not a commuter vehicle. And as far as the engine goes, I'm planning on throwing a cam, some cnc heads on it with a tune and some long tubes in order to get the torque number up. So my point is, you can take a heavy duty gasser, save money on the purchase price and maintenance, and add your own little touches to make it perfect. In my opinion, there isn't a single vehicle that comes from the factory that's perfectly suited to your needs unless you're willing to have $800 a month payment or flat out spend 50-60k. Just remember that getting a diesel version of any truck adds $7k-10k to the purchase price straight out the gate.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You might want to consider lower gearing than 4.10 with a gas engine and 35" tires. I had an 02 f350 diesel with 3.73. going to a 33" tire I could feel a difference . Most Ford 7.3 owners run 4.10-4.30 when going to 35's

eaneumann

Adventurer
I have a 2012 Toyota Tundra crew max with tow package. I feel that it has plenty of power, but I would like to regear for my 35" tires. If I didn't live at high elevation, I wouldn't even consider that. I'm at max payload 90% of the time. I also haul a three horse stock trailer frequently. I do all of my own mechanical work.

I couldn't justify the cost of diesel. Yes I'd like to own one. Between upfront cost, registration, fuel (maybe a wash with better mileage?), fuel availability in other countries, insurance, maintenance/major repairs (hopefully with good maintenance, no major repairs needed.)

I did have an oil leak on my 5.7 on the sides of the motor. It's apparently a very common problem. It was covered under warranty, but about a $2k repair. Once fixed, you're good for life. It's very easy to spot in the wheel wells if it has it. Haven't had a single issue with the truck other than that. I now have 90k on it. It gets used hard. It's a very comfortable truck. The short bed is stupid. Check for any corrosion under the truck, Toyotas don't have the best track record there. I have a customer that has 430k on his 5.7 Tundra with only regular maintenance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dalko43

Explorer

It's funny how two different people can draw two very different conclusions from the same study. Autoblog did an article on that very same University of Michigan study and concluded that total cost of ownership was lower for diesel vehicles over the longrun, primarily due to fuel savings and higher resale values: https://www.autoblog.com/2015/07/17/diesel-gas-total-cost-ownership/

The article you quoted was analyzing things from the fleet owner's perspective, which is likely a bit different from a private/individual owner.

This is where you got lost.

Of course it is an investment. It is a depreciating asset, for sure, but it is also an investment.

The common definition of an investment is: an expenditure of resources (usually cash) with the expectation of future returns or profits. Seeing as how no one actually makes money through buying a regular car (obviously there are exceptions such as rare or very old vehicles), I'd argue that in the traditional sense a car purchase is not an investment. But if you want to forget semantics and pretend that buying a car is an investment, even you seem to realize that it isn't a good investment, as it is losing value the moment you "invest."

And being a depreciating asset, operating costs are even more important.

So is spending LESS, on the initial purchase. Like spending that 20% more for a diesel, that has higher operating costs. ;)

Operating costs are important, and I'm even willing to acknowledge that certain maintenance costs will be higher for a diesel vs a gasoline rig. However, I think you and others on here owe it to yourselves to actually calculate the those costs rather than throw out vague guesstimates. The issue is when it comes time to sell your depreciating asset (the vehicle), what will be the difference between the two in the money recouped from the sale? And what will be the difference in total fuel costs?

I've seen what both engine types will return in real life and the math I've done shows a distinct fuel savings advantage for the diesel in most driving situations that I encounter (to the tune of ~$1k-$1.4k a year). I suppose YMMV depending on driving habits, towing, modifications, traffic, ect. Do you suppose that the additional diesel maintenance costs per year will come anywhere close to negating that fuel savings? Based on what I've seen and figured, they don't.

As for resale values, I regularly see 10+ year old diesel Ram 2500's fetching a $6k-$7k premium (sometimes higher) over comparable gasoline trucks, and mind you the difference in original MSRP's between the two wasn't as great back then as it is nowadays. I guess time will tell if the newer 6.7l Cummins and 6.7l Powerstroke will have similar premiums 10 years from now. Also keep in mind, that the advertised MSRP and factory pricing for diesel trucks, or any truck, isn't the same as what the product actually sells for on the market. There are normally dealer incentives and negotiated pricing for those trucks. Just because Ram or Chevy advertises the diesel engine as a $8k-$9k option doesn't necessarily mean that there will be an $8k-$9k sale price gap between new diesel and gasoline trucks.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eclipse179