Tundra Vs. Tacoma

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
I have driven all the new have tons and 3/4 ton pickups as rentals mostly for work. I think the new Tundra is a much better truck than any of the the domestic big three hands down. If you want a full-size, it would be a no brained for me.

As far as towing with the first gen, my access cab did a fair amount of towing and I thought it did a lot better for it's size than i was expecting. Even towing my fully loaded 80 series on a trailer a few times, with a heavy tongue load and big winds it had no problems. You just need to turn the overdrive off as rumor has it, towing with it on prematurely wears the tranny.

Another anecdote. In 2005 I picked up a brand new Silverado 1500 crew cab. I put just shy of 100,000 miles on it. It had an alternator failure at 15,000 miles, the rear main seal began leaking around 50,000, the shocks went limp by 70,000. It was in the shop a lot for little issues here and there. It was reasonably comfortable but it wasn't till a few years later when i picked up my 2000 Tundra that I really began to respect the trucks. Here was a truck with a 135,000 miles on the clock already. I put 165,000 miles on it before selling it a couple of weeks ago. It had a better ride with so little wind and rod noise, that it put the Chevy to shame when it was brand new. The structure was so tight, even off road that it would hardly give a creak or grown. And on top of this, the truck was owned and used by a landscaping company before I picked it up, so you know it had a tough life. It was a great size to be useful but still reasonable to squeeze down trails. Just these past two weeks I got to drive my old Silverado again, it now has 140,000 miles on the clock. The part time 4 wheel drive has something seriously wrong with it, it is leaking oil again, when 4wd is engaged there is a noticeable grind and vibration coming front end, and the windows all are very sluggish to operate. This was a truck that was never really used off road and had a fairly easy life. It really drove the point home on just how god the first gen Tundras are.

My ideal setup would be an acess cab lifted to run 33's with a fwc in the back. I thunk that would be an awesome, long distance runner that could be a weapon on moderate trails still.

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
I haul with my Tundra all the time...construction trailer mostly and our off road pop up. The Tundra tows great..just as well as my old Dodge... and in some ways better. The 4.7 V8 in the latter first gen trucks is more powerful than the early ones and with the tranny makes a great puller. My Tundra doesn't keep searching for gears like the Ram did and the brakes on the Toy are far superior. Even with the stock suspension my heavy loaded work trailer pulled nicely and with the HD Deavers on there now there's no drama in the rear view.

Caduceus

Adventurer
OK, so going back to the original thread, it seems to me that the first Gen Tundra's are very similar in size to the curren 05+ Tacoma's. I have a DC 09 Taco short bed, my first pick-up, and love it. I've driven some F150s and silverado's, as well as ambulances professionally, and this is just so much easier to handle.

I don't know if that time frame on the Tundra is 1st or 2nd gen, but there's a big difference between them, both size and composition. The current Tundra's are much more tow-capable, but I'd be hesitant to take them off anything that's not already a trail or fire road.

jim65wagon

The 2000 to 2006 is the first gen Tundra and the 07+ is the second gen. I've got nearly 160,000 on mine now and would not hesitate to drive it cross country empty, full or towing a trailer.

While I haven't towed anything more than a bass boat in recent years I have hauled Marks cargo trailer, and a car hauler, both of which towed well with no drama. Just turn the overdrive off and don't forget to increase your braking distance.

Off road mine has developed a few groans, but on road it's perfectly quiet, and I dare say better than a lot of the lower mileage vehicles I've ridden in in the last few years.

To the point, if JC is looking for a capable, comfortable, decent on gas, grocery getting family camping machine he really needs to look no further....just long enough to find one for a good price....

An 05-06 with a small lift (up to 2-1/2") a good tire and some timbrens (with Deavers if you like) will last you through many family adventures....

jim65wagon

It's official. Just traded in my 2010 Tacoma for a 2008 Tundra Cremax 5.7

Yes i did the deal on Thanksgiving :)

And to make my Thanksgiving even better it came with a Supercharger :))))

Congratulations! I don't want to hear you complaining about on road traction and the cost of tires!
(but a pic of a long cool highschoolish smoky burnout would not be turned down!)

JCMatthews

Tour Guide
I think you'll be very happy with a DC. Even after we tossed around what was the best way to replace our old Ram and detertmined that a DC Tundra was the best bet for our needs, I was still a little apprehensive about the decision. After all I was an old school solid axle guy and use to heavy duty trucks. But now that we have had our Tundra DC for almost two years we appreciate that truck more and more. Gas mileage is excellent, the drivetrain is the best combo I've ever had in any vehicle and it continues to surprise me how capable it is on the trails. We have two kids, both teenagers, that take up alot of space. While my duaghter is tall for a girl my 13 year old son is pushing 6' and still growing, yet they really appreciate the interior space of the DC after having to squeeze into the old QC Dodge.

As far as lift with 2.5 inches you'll be able to fit 285s with only needing to remove the front factory mudflaps (they'll rub). The DC's front fenderwells are an 1/2" longer the the AC's so no BFH mod on the inner pinchwelds are needed. If your not commited to a set of custom springs (I'm really happy with my Deaver 11 pack springs) the AALs will do fine, though I'd recommend a set of Timbren or Aircell load assists to help with rear sag. When you get your rig please be sure to share the fun with us.

That's our MO. We use or E1 popup as a base camp on extended trips as it makes a good place to crash in inclement weather. On trips down rugged trails we switch to tents to save the pop-up from destruction.

You betcha. I will have a tread for the truck, one for the camper, and we will post our trips. We have talked about having a Lap top so that we can post as we go.

JCMatthews

Tour Guide
As most people say.....the Taco is small. It is the last of the "mini" trucks made by Toyota. I bought my 04 Taco because I wanted a "mini" truck. I can't imagine cramming 3 kids in the back and 2 adults in the front on a regular basis. Not to mention it doesn't take a ton of gear to fill up the short bed which is only 50" or so in the DC.

I also found stock that the Taco handles on pavement like a pig. I hated mine with stock suspension. After upgrading suspension I like it much more.

I know a guy who had a Tundra. He hated it for towing, said he could feel any size trailer behind him. So he upgraded to a brand new Tundra with the bigger engine. He says it is much better for towing.

If it was me; I would only get a Taco if you want a mini truck. If you want full sized truck I would skip Toyota all together and go with one of the big three.

my 2 cents.

I don't want a full size truck. I want a large mini truck. I'd rather have the Taco to replace my Cherokee, but I know that my family won't fit. So the next best thing is a first generation Tundra. It is big enough without being too big. I own a Ford Expedition, drove my Dad's '92 Bronco a lot, and regularly ride with my brother in his Excursion, and know what a full size is like.

JCMatthews

Tour Guide
To the point, if JC is looking for a capable, comfortable, decent on gas, grocery getting family camping machine he really needs to look no further....just long enough to find one for a good price....

An 05-06 with a small lift (up to 2-1/2") a good tire and some timbrens (with Deavers if you like) will last you through many family adventures....

That's the plan!

zidaro

Explorer
It's official. Just traded in my 2010 Tacoma for a 2008 Tundra Cremax 5.7

Yes i did the deal on Thanksgiving :)

And to make my Thanksgiving even better it came with a Supercharger :))))

Welcome to the club.:victory: Your gonna be stoked.

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
I have parked my 06 next to some first gen Tundras in parking lots...and yes, they seem very similar in size. Not sure about interior space or actual bed size though.

1st gen Tundras are wider and have more interior space for sure. Access Cab to Access Cab the Tundra has noteably more space and I would feel much less bad making a friend ride in the back of the Tundra versus the Tacoma for any amount of time. Regarding the bed, again the Tundra can haul more. This comes from travelling with a friend with his '07 Taco and my first gen Tundra trying to fit as much gear as we could between the two trucks, both with caps on them. Also, while the V6 is a strong motor, the 4.7 makes things just a bit easier with a full load. Now a Tundra double cab is a whole different beast and is wider, longer and taller than an AC plus had a much deeper bed.

RC pilot Jim

Tacoma vs Tundra

Since over 12 months has passed since JC Mathews asked his question, he probably has already made his decision.
Here is my take on it: I have owned a '99 4 cylinder 4x4Taco since it was new. Milege is 20mpg 50/50 driving and 23mpg highway with a 2004 Flip-pac camper. In San Diego, CA gas is $4.21 per gallon. The V6 Taco gets about 15-18 city highway. The Generation one V-8 Tundra probably gets 13-15 city/highway. If you drive 1000 miles a month @ say $4.50 per gallon the difference is about $46.00 per month (1000 miles divided by 13 x $4.50 vs 1000 divided by 15 x $4.50). With the Tundra you get more room, more power, larger payload. and it is the smaller full size truck - one foot longer then the Taco and about one foot wider. I vote for the Tundra.
Personally I am saving my quarters for a 2006 Tundra Access Cab, V-8, 4WD that I plan to put a used or new 4W Hawk camper on for few more creature comforts while exploring the deserts of the south west.:coffee:

JCMatthews

Tour Guide
Well the decision has been made, I am going to buy a '05-'06 DC Tundra. I would prefer these years do thepower increase of 40 hp and the extra gear added to the transmission. Gas here is still under $4.00 a gallon, and I drive one mile to work, so that is not a big deal. We have sold my Jeep Cherokee and our Ford Expedition, and bought a 1999 Saturn that gets 39 miles to the gallon for trips when it's me and the Mrs. We have payed off all debt except for the house, and we are ready to take the plunge. We drove one last week, but the seller had not disclosed that is had had an accident before he bought it and that the body work was shabby to say the least. The mileage was awesome for the price and the front end was fine, but it would need a lot of work to be in the shape I want. I am going to look at an '05 with 39,000 miles tomorrow. I think I can get it for $19,000 plus tax and license.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78