Tundra work truck package

olypenjeeper

Anyone seen one of these in person? A craigslist add appeared with a 2011 tundra, vinyl seats and rubber floor, no chrome, with a 4.6

I though it looked pretty utilitarian and would make a nice expo platform. Still has some comforts like cruise and power windows, but otherwise pretty basic. Just trying to hear some thoughts and opinions. I love my T100, but a recent 8 hour road trip to Spokane with a toddler in the back and two dogs out back sort of sucked!

Clutch

<---Pass
I have test driven one, it had the 5.7 in it. I liked it...actually I loved it. Don't believe the 4.6 gets that much better fuel mileage than the 5.7. maybe 2-3 mpg better

I don't have kids, thought a long bed regular cab with a Flip Pac would be pretty killer.

2012-Toyota-Tundra-Regular-Cab-Long-Bed-Color-Silver-Sky-Metallic.jpeg

Really like the space behind the seats feature on the RC over other full size trucks. My dog and gear bags would fit well back there.

07_Tundra_Regular-Cab_17.jpg

Last edited:

FullTankHank

Adventurer
Imo, the 4.6 is a great motor if two conditions are met for you. The first being that you don't see yourself ever towing anything really heavy, and the second that you can get it at a substantial markdown over a 5.7L. If they are within a couple thousand of each other, just get the 5.7L.

In my case, I didn't plan on carrying anything more than a FWC eagle or ATC bobcat in the bed. I was able to get the 4.6 SR5 for MUCH less than any comparable 5.7's in the area after some negotiating, and with only 7K miles and Certification on it, compared to grade 5.7's with 60-70K+ miles on them for more money.

So if you can find a great deal and it works for you, I say go for it and use the money save on mods and trips. Been working great for my wife and I.

:coffeedrink:

olypenjeeper

Cool, thanks for the tips. I was looking at the double cab model. My father in law has the big 5.7 in a dc limited edition, and he loves it. He does pull a 21' boat and travel trailer too. Claims good mpg around 18 highway, he drives pretty slow also. It's almost too pretty though, I'd be terrified to take it off road and get it scratched up. I wonder if there's any advantage having the 4.6 over the 5.7 for working in the engine bay? That's one thing I do love about the t100, TONS of room to work in there.

RangeBrover

Explorer
I think a double cab would be the way to go. Having that extra in cabin storage is going to come in handy and it'll be nice for that one time a year you have to haul passengers. The regular cabs are nice but I wouldn't want to shove my dog back there or anything.

That being said my neighbor has a 5.7 regular cab short bed and that truck is a rocket. Given the option between the 2 motors I'd go 5.7, I've got one in my Land Cruiser and it pulls trailers while climbing hills effortlessly.

Clutch

<---Pass
I think a double cab would be the way to go. Having that extra in cabin storage is going to come in handy and it'll be nice for that one time a year you have to haul passengers. The regular cabs are nice but I wouldn't want to shove my dog back there or anything.

My dog is maybe 45 lbs. she rides in the extra cab portion of my Taco no problem, which the RC Tundra has roughly the same depth, plus it is a little wider.

We have a SUV too, so when we have to carry people, which we never do...that option is there. Actually the rear seats stay folded down 99.9% of the time.

I keep on mulling over a RC 8' bed Tundra with a Flip Pac, with the interior built out like a FWC, be a nice camp rig for two people and a medium sized dog.

Mrknowitall

Adventurer
I wonder if there's any advantage having the 4.6 over the 5.7 for working in the engine bay? That's one thing I do love about the t100, TONS of room to work in there.

My V6 Tundra was the same way- nice and roomy under the hood. The 4.6 and 5.7 are in the same engine family, and externally basically the same. Some of the auxiliary stuff might be bigger though, like the radiator.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78