TundraBirds Go! Picture Thread for Tundras and T-100s

deeve

Observer
Hey everyone. Great thread! I am looking for a good DD and overland rig to go on off road trips for a week or so at a time. I live in the PacNW, but plan on making trips further inland into eastern Oregon, Idaho, Utah and the southwest. I am going to check out a 2106 Tacoma tomorrow, but I have concerns that the 4door will be too small for me. Im 6'3" and 250lbs. Im afraid the head and shoulder room will be tight and the back seat too small for my 9 year old who is on track to be a big kid. FWIW, if the Tacoma had a height adjustable seat I think it might work for me at least, but they do not offer it.

I think the first Gen Tundra 4 door is a bit bigger in the cabin than even the current Tacoma. The second gen Tundra with the Access Cab would fit everything I think. Even with the smaller rear seat I think there is still a ton of room. The 4 door Tundra is cavernous. I was hoping to get a midsize rig because I like them and always wanted a smaller Toyota pickup, even as a kid.

My two holdbacks on the Tundra (second Gen anyway) is that the mileage is pretty bad compared to the others in its class and that it seems like it would be pretty big on the trails. If it matters, I will not be trail riding it much in the PacNW forests other than fire roads or light exploration. I have ridden my dual sport bike around the west and the trails seem pretty open, but I am curious what you all think of my intended needs and how the Tundra would cope.

Last edited:

AaronK

Explorer
Mileage with the 2UZ in the first gen isn't bad. I got about 17 before I put a shell on it.

Sent from my OnePlus One using Tapatalk.

deeve

Observer
Problem I am finding with the first gen is they are hard to find with lower mileage. Guess that is a good thing. Means they hold up, but then again what Toyota doesn't?

I'm only 5 years late to this post, but oh well. Here's my '01 Tundra. It was almost an impulse buy, but i got it for next to nothing. It has 212,xxx miles, but runs like a dream. Only drawback is that it's 2WD.... I have my Land Rover for wheeling though! The Tundra is completely stock. I intend to remedy that.

Attachments

• IMG_20160207_50896.jpg
    IMG_20160207_50896.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 51

character zero

dangerfoot
Problem I am finding with the first gen is they are hard to find with lower mileage. Guess that is a good thing. Means they hold up, but then again what Toyota doesn't?

I just saw an 05/06 SR5 with TRD in Silver, 65k miles, 4WD listed here for under $16k...PM me for info.

character zero

dangerfoot
View attachment 329100
Craigslist was good to me. Silver was all I found though. Anyone have a blue they want to trade?

Honestly, I've watched the local (TX) camper scene a long time and don't think I've ever seen the darker blue topper pop up - I just think they're really rare.
That being said, I just sold my grey color-matched topper in favor of a white one for several reasons (scored the white one for a song, it is full-featured ARE Z series vs the Snugtop base model)...I actually don't hate the mis-match! Sure, if I could find a top-of-the-line topper in grey, I'd bite but I'm in no rush. Actually came out of the whole transaction with the outlay for shell being $175!

S7HoRWxKbq_BflxKy1MIOG59yTmtTZAGnOr5ZbPz77ZF0UV3TG2d8x-8Jjzc0xkApRkuaV1OGBSf3gP7u51n5XLN52UuovjMZ-wUbcpPClqfmQOOTykUdcaAhZWkaVRB-96iJL4xvubtuRVyB_lV-I8PxsP4yAK69L6ELKz5bmBg0JxWGN2h7saVqXWiZAhzO3U6sNP1m6u9dNjN090yRGr4vTD8vgWF6FH1WrhalQU-ClylsDgAOoJ9moVGILV8ygd1eJOZ06-yhz1LmGAd9whaUzuKaT1cAysUjEG9Z5VJJlv8b6fHF_RqQcbtBiuNPOLibSmh0aQfRBL-dP_dJwphBdo_Bp8fbGpCY3D8fSVqBBkR4X2OUiaOwCa_QR8db_eOsScOdDAJCVqo4ucYaMWskSY8okIh8LeXvIdHNFm820Y5953W8FuhskhCYg2PuZu5mh2W9OL8jw8KaQqdpbPWK-Giz2xVXacX9T2NcPmkHRgK6yXm1p3AaxxppxVKyVUmbTexBz0TgR-wR-pUJ0lTvHSkxDtQeXPPs9oZvnzUaElKnXxE4Ko5ZmpNnKHg=w757-h426-no

P.S: side steps have been removed and sold....

character zero

dangerfoot
CZ, thats looking GOOD! I don't dislike the mismatched topper either

Thanks! The real driver was that the previous owner of the snugtop had taken a jigsaw to the cab-side, and cut out the window to be much larger. This kept it from sealing up at all, really and meant that I could never drop a window in there!
The new ARE Z topper has the same rubber boot/pass through config but I can put a window in later. Also like the pop-out side windows over the sliders as my old sliders didn't slide unless I put about 225# of pressure on them. Add in the carpeted interior, different profile, all glass back window with better locking/release mechanism and my caring about color matching was out the window. I do have to say the snugtop's mounting/bolt system was better than the C-clamp on the ARE, but that is all I miss.

Davidw

Observer
How do the snug tops attach? Ours has the small clamps that stay under the bed rail. We have the dropout window so I'll be putting a boot inbetween as well.

character zero

dangerfoot
My Snugtop had little protuberances along the shell rail that allowed a bolt to drop through and pull up a J-shaped clamp to provide the bite between the bolt head over the rail edge and the J under the tundra rail. This is the best pic I found on a cursory search.
651104_f520.jpg

huntsonora

Explorer
I am looking at purchasing a custom built bed rack for my 2006 DC. It was built for a 1st gen Access Cab but I think it may work. It should fit between the bed rails, the length isn't a huge deal as I can cut it down if I need to but the real question is where the basket extends over the cab of the truck. It basically comes off the headache rack portion and goes over the cab with about 2" of clearance. Does anybody know it the distance from the top of the bed to the roof of the truck is the same on the access cabs and double cabs?

This is a picture of what I am asking about

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eclipse179