Tundras with campers question

FurthurOnTheFly

Glamping Society
I'm curious to hear from the Tundra owners who ride with a FWC/Coyote/other pop up camper about what modifications, if any, you had to do to the suspension in order to carry these things. What I've been reading about the payload capacity on the Tundras is disappointing to say the least, but we'd like to stay in the Toyota family if possible.

nctacoma

Observer
The payload on my double cab 2008 4x4 is 1600lbs.
I have seen campers on tundras.
I used to have 2 F350's with large truck campers. They both had very large payload capacities, one was a dually and on both I still had to do suspension modifications to feel somewhat comfortable driving them.

I am also curious about pop-up campers on tundras. I will say my tundra can get 18mpg on the highway fully loaded with a pickup shell and a roof box on top of that. I would guess you could get 14-16mpg with a small camper
That is a far cry from the f350 diesels with the camper on it. Unloaded I could get 18 with the srw. The dually got 12 unloaded and they both got 9-10 with the 10-8 camper on it.

OTR

Adventurer
I've got a Northstar TC650 on my Tundra crewmax. I just put on a set of airbags and E-rated tires. The camper fills the bed and requires to have the tailgate down, so it sits behind the axle more than a truck with a 6.5ft bed. I don't have any issues with this much weight in the bed of the truck. The brakes on the newer Tundras are very good and the frame offers a good amount of flex while off the beaten path. The newer Tundra's are very under rated and over built IMO. I also believe Toyota designs the truck to be operated at capacity on a regular basis.

FurthurOnTheFly

Glamping Society
Hmm ya that seems to be the problem...not sure we want to have to deal with going the airbag route. It seems to be the popular choice on the Toyotas, I was just wondering if anyone else went a different route.

FurthurOnTheFly

Glamping Society
Honestly not sure. I personally like the first gens a lot more but who knows what we'd end up with. At this point we are still in research mode and not even sure what direction we will take. A truck with a pop up camper on the back is just one option we are looking at. I think a ram with a diesel would be a great option but Josh just doesn't like them so that leaves the Tundra as our only real option for this kind of route.

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
I personally think the first generation of Tundras are a bit light in the rear leaf spring department. But then I use mine as a work truck when it's not out running in adventure mode. A pair of 600 lbs+ custom Deaver rear leaf springs and a set of Timbren load assists took care of that. They also tightened up the rear handling too. A good deal on a 1st gen Tundra and the purchase of a set of custom springs would leave a good bit of travel funds available over buying a new Tundra or a used 2nd gen for that matter based on what those used Tundras are going for around here.

I was a Dodge man before getting this '06 DC Tundra and looked at several '03 to '06 2500 Rams. Didn't like the Hemi at all and wasn't wanting a diesel, plus we were disappointed at the interior room (there wasn't much of an improvement over my '01 QC Ram) so in the end no Ram for me. On the other hand the engine and drive train in my Tundra is the nicest power train I've ever had in a vehicle.

zidaro

Explorer
I love my Tundra, it does great. I did add a lift, and airbags to get the ride i wanted. E rated tires are mandatory for any load beyond a day at the beach.
From what i have seen, all trucks either run STIFF rear springs or airbags to carry any load- be it a F550 or a Toyota. I carried my camper on a couple trips w/o anything to aid, the springs had a 1/2" from the bumps. You will probably have to add something to your truck to help carry a heavy load especially if you are traveling off the highways- no matter what vehicle you choose, but definitely with Toyota.

Do some research, there is a big difference between the 1st and 2nd gen Tundras.

Again, love my truck. Big complaint is the lack of distance i am able to travel without stopping at the station for a fill- 26gal tank is silly.

Flagster

Expedition Leader
The payload on my double cab 2008 4x4 is 1600lbs.

Hmmm....that is only 300 more lbs capacity than a 4x4 tacoma (DC)

I was also thinking a 1st or 2nd gen tundra would make a nice platform for a FWC as my Double Cab Tacoma is just too small...but with that number I think you would really have to "travel light"...once you get the camper...2 persons...and fuel/water/food...there would be little left over for anything else...
I would like the ability to bring a motorcycle/canoe/etc...I think maybe a 3/4 ton will be a better bet...
The F250 has a rear e locker? and with 6.2l engine is similar in mileage to a 5.7l tundra from what I have read...

nctacoma

Observer
The 1600lbs payload capacity that I quoted was for my tundra that had an 8 foot bed so it might be different for a standard bed. You would get more capacity with a regular cab if that is an option for you

Most trucks that I have seen use airbags with truck campers, but I have a lot more experience with 1 and 3/4 ton trucks than with the tundra. The tundra is new to me and I am very impressed with it so far.

Flagster

Expedition Leader
not to change the subject matter but what kind of mileage are people getting out of 2007+ tundras...loaded with camper/etc

FurthurOnTheFly

Glamping Society
Interesting, thanks for the comments. Range and gas mileage are two things at the top of our list. A Ford will not be setting foot in our driveway anytime soon, which is why I was looking at the Rams.

Fortunately for us we still have the 4runner, although its needing some work before going on another long adventure; but we still have something to take out on the weekends until we make our decision...if we do. We are both Libras, so this could be going on for MONTHS!

For a while we wanted to do a Tundra or Tacoma with a Flippac, but if we get a truck we want to still be able to use the bed for when we aren't traveling so the pop-ups look like the better option in that category.

OTR

Adventurer
not to change the subject matter but what kind of mileage are people getting out of 2007+ tundras...loaded with camper/etc

13 mpg at around 60 mph on level ground while stock. 11-12 mpg with lift, 34" M/T tires, with Road Armor bumper and winch on the front. 10 mpg in the mountains or while also towing a 12ft enclosed trailer with a few thousand pounds in it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998