TUNE M1 CAMPERS ONLY : Post your TUNE Camper build here or a link to your build thread to inspire others!

Dave in AZ

Just making a thread here similar to those for other truck pop up campers, for folks to post their builds. I have gotten a ton of ideas and enjoyment from build threads for Ovrlnd, Project M, Topo, etc. The Tune M1 is a new in 2022 shell with full popup, characterized by flared vertical sides which give it more interior space than other brands, as of 2023.

Looking forward to anyone's builds or ideas, while I await my install!

Dave in AZ

These look great. I'm curious to hear peoples feedback as well.
It looks great, and owners are very satisfied. I saw one, very good build quality and design.

There are a couple good build posts on the facebook Tune Owners group, but so far none cross posted here. I had a very hard time finding info or posts on them, so wanted there to be a consolidated place here for when some owners find this site. If nothing else, I will post my tweaks in January;)

bikelanta

Adventurer
Just swapped out our Super Pacific X1 for a Tune M1 this week. The space difference is significant. Looking forward to revising our buildout. I'll update my build thread at some point soon, but here's a photo of it on the truck.

IMG_2563.jpeg

Dave in AZ

Made a video showing removable tent and side rail insulation, and installing it for first time. Pretty fast.

I used the closed cell foam double foil 5mm duct insulation, same as
[SIZE=4]@dstefan[/SIZE] I think.

So it's my first public video, Not great skilz but hopefully good content for you all! So, hoping I get a few likes but totally forgot to ask for all that "smash that like button!" Stuff lol!

I have a video on dc wiring and fuseblock setup, one on installing a Vevor diesel heater in the truck bed, one on correct power setuo to avoid errors for diesel heater, one on my Pecron power station setup for the Tune. Still need to edit them then will post

Mules

It's looking great. Keep the videos and ideas coming. We need entertainment!!

ITTOG

Made a video showing removable tent and side rail insulation, and installing it for first time. Pretty fast.

I used the closed cell foam double foil 5mm duct insulation, same as
[SIZE=4]@dstefan[/SIZE] I think.

So it's my first public video, Not great skilz but hopefully good content for you all! So, hoping I get a few likes but totally forgot to ask for all that "smash that like button!" Stuff lol!

I have a video on dc wiring and fuseblock setup, one on installing a Vevor diesel heater in the truck bed, one on correct power setuo to avoid errors for diesel heater, one on my Pecron power station setup for the Tune. Still need to edit them then will post

Have you used it since installing the insulation? If yes, do you think it helped retain heat? I am using 2" foam for my hard sides but plan to make a "blanket" to put over my Sunbrella for the popup. I was planning to use something like what you used for the "blanket".

pxl_20231227_212628911-jpg.813355

Last edited:

Dave in AZ

-=p

Have you used it since installing the insulation? If yes, do you think it helped retain heat? I am using 2" foam for my hard sides but plan to make a "blanket" to put over my Sunbrella for the popup. I was planning to use something like what you used for the "blanket".

No, haven't used it insulated.
I did use it in NM 2 weels ago when it was cold, ininsulated. Probably 33f outside. I ran diesel heater on 2 all night, stayed 55 or so at a guess? Had dc blanket in sleeping bag, super toasty!

That cold snap in Jan, it was 30 to 34 in Phoenix for a week overnight, so I started insulating... now it is 75 to 78 here today, so not as critical lol.

Mules

-=p

@ITTOG, your camper is better insulated than a Yeti cooler! Hell, it's so well insulated that you won't need any heating or cooling in it when you're done!

ITTOG

@ITTOG, your camper is better insulated than a Yeti cooler! Hell, it's so well insulated that you won't need any heating or cooling in it when you're done!
Well, except for the fabric. I am really hoping the insulation will be a fully functional thermal break.

Dave in AZ

There are a ton of folks with amazing inside builds and tweaks, way better than me. So many places to post though, so few have found this site. Because of this, I'm going to post a few of my build videos, hope it will get a few folks here who have better work, to show their stuff!

But for now, here are some things I have seen others do at the FB owners group:
1. Rear door conversion to Alucab barn style, bit ALSO whole thing can lift up gull wing style. Great fabricator named Chris. He also has a neat magnetic diesel heater exhaust lockup, interior benches and carpeting, and a front spoiler.

2. Full interior buildouts, the 1st Tune customer Pete. He has a classy cabinet system and interior sink and induction stove, great work.
4. Full 5 person sleep setup, with bunkbeds in pickup bed area for kids. Mike. He posted a nice 8020 parts list and cut list even!
5. Patrick at @takethetruck has a blog and some amazing posts. He has a bench/pullout setup that is my current favorite design and I will probably copy it.

Dave in AZ

So, here are my current tweaks. Haven't started my interior buildout yet. Have posted most of this elsewhere, just copying here to hopefully attract more Tune Owners and builders ;)
------
20240219_085609.jpg
20240219_085609-jpg.5700839

This is a thread to centralize my tweaks work on 2021 Tacoma OffRoad 6ft bed, with a Tune M1 popup Camper. Hard to find right spot for bed prep for camper, and various electrical, so just gonna centralise here. Figure it will be more helpful for other popup canopy or wedge camper folks to see all the mods in one place.

I have a 98 Tacoma 4x4 OffRoad that I drove more, so only 11k miles on my Oct 21 Tacoma. So all is in great shape.

Pickup Bed Preparation
First, before having the Tune camper installed in Jan24, I did the following preparations to the pickup bed:
1. Removed bed rail caps on sides, to seal up all the 20 holes underneath. These are plastic and just popoff with a screwdriver. I placed a strip of 2" aluminum tape down over all the holes, whole length. Then I ran a bead of sikaflex on both sides of plastic rail cap. Then reinstalled, pressing the locking tabs down thru the aluminum tape, and tapping with rubber mallet.
2. Removed bed front rail cap, ran bead of sikaflex on fiberglass bed top amd the rail cap, reinstalled. All water running down the cab face of a camper shell would just run right in there, without this. There is no seal at all, it really needs it here.
3. Plugged top corners where side amd cab bedrails meet, with butyl tape. Two half inch by 1 inch gaps there.
4. Installed Rok Blok tailgate bed seal, and also the side tailgate seal from same company, ESI.
5. Installed bed stiffeners from Total Chaos. Pretty expensive, other companies make for $40 and would work, but the TC ones don't blick slide out drawers as much.
6. Installed Pop And Lock tailgate keyfob locking mechanism. Big help getting into camper amd locking or unlocking at night!

Here is a video I made showing so.e of the prep.

Drilling Holes in fiberglass bed for Diesel Heater
I did this before camper install too, figured it was easier to blow out any fiberglass dust then. I decided to i stall heater inside bed, the way it was engineered by Eberspacher to be installed and as directed in their 98 page install manual. But mostly done incorrectly by Chinese diesel heater purchasers. I positioned it against front cab wall, passenger side. There is a nice open area near muffler that lets you drill through and have your diesel exhaust go right out near car muffler. I drilled two 1.5" holes using a hole saw. Bed is solid, but easy to drill through. I then wrapped the intake and exhaust tubes with fiberglass motorcycle muffler wrap, to deal with any heat near pickup bed, and taped it all on with aluminum tape for gas water heater exhaust ducting. Then I sealed the tubes through the holes with same tape, so no airflow possible. This pisition has worked well. Only issue is the diesel heater tank has terrible lid seal, and leaked when sloshing about. So I will be moving the diesel tank outside, under the car between gas tank and muffler. Or maybe in gap between fender and fiberglass bed. Here is a video I made showing heatee install.

DC Fuseblock for 12v Camper Electrical
The best practice for electrical for a truck canopy camper, is to run 12v DC power to a fuseblock, then supply all your loads from the fuseblock, with correctly sized wires running to each one depending on watts and amps used. This lets you have a fuse for each load, correctly sized to protect the wire to the load as you're supposed to. You can also size fuse smaller to orotect whatever the load is too, so long as the wire is sized to allow the max current that device will pull, and the fuse is 125% of that. Especially in a mobile setup, a truck camper, you will get lits of wire movement and chafing, asn also wire connection movement, which both lead to shorts or hot connections. Which lead to fires and your car burning down. So a properly planned out fuseblock is key.

Before my install, I bought a BlueSea dc fuseblock with 12 fused connections, and the proper size ATO blade fuses, and correct gauge wires, for all my expected loads. Then I crimped connectors to wires, and had everything ready so I could screw it in place on rails when camper was installed, and hook up the lights, maxxair fan, diesel heater, heating blanket socket, and USB ports for phones and laptops in bed or pickup bed.
Here is a video of my dc fuseblock preparations.

I will add more on the camper install, power station setup to power everything, insulating the camper, charging power station from the Tacoma truckbed inverter, 400W Anytime install, etc. As well as some camping use!

Last edited:

Dave in AZ

More stuff:

Heating and Insulation

I looked at hundreds of threads and builds on insulating a canopy camper, as well as info from professional aircraft designers, van builders, and insulation engineers. Based on Boeing insulation philosophy, I went with "There WILL be condensation and vapor barrier penetration in mobile setups," and so went with airgapped foil coated closed cell polyurethane. I looked at the pink board or blue board, reflectix, polyiso, etc. The best insulation that had zero water pickup was a 5mm closed cell flexible polyurethane foam, double sided foil wrapped. This is used for wrapping du ts, both air-conditioning and heat. In Arizona, it is critical to keep the heat out during half the year, and the #1 method is a reflective foil installed with an airgap inside camper. This stuff is massively beter than reflectix.

Here are some videos I made showing how to insulate popup tent, as well as the camper aluminum walls and rails. These rails are a huge heat bridge, so important to insulate.

Insulating front and read of Tune M1 tent, folding mechanism etc.

Insulating tent sides

Finishing up insulation, including the aluminum camper body and rails. All removable, velcro.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior