Turning off Door Lights (80 Series)

ssssnake529

Explorer
Is there a way to turn off the door lights on an 80 Series Landcruiser?

I'd like to be able to keep the tail-gate open without the door lights turning on. In other vehicles I've owned, there was a way to turn off the lights. I haven't been able to figure this out on the Landcruiser.

Salue

Adventurer
On the rear hatch, use a screwdriver or similar tool and push that up against the latch that catches the striker on the tailgate. It is closing the mechanism of the hatch so the lights turn off. Just need to remember to grab the hatch handle and 'open' it before shutting it or it won't catch. Hope that makes sense.

Salue

Rubiclone

Observer
cant you just switch the switch on the light itself... i know with mine, i just had all the lights switched to OFF instead of DOOR and even with the tailgate down they dont come on.

Bill Beers

Explorer
I'm assuming you're talking about the lights in the bottom of each door. I popped them open and disconnected each bulb. I still like having the overhead lights.

ssssnake529

Explorer
I'm assuming you're talking about the lights in the bottom of each door. I popped them open and disconnected each bulb. I still like having the overhead lights.

Yes, it's the lights in the bottom of each door. The on/off/door switch works on the overhead light, but not for the door lights.

luk4mud

Explorer
I put led's in the overheads and pulled the bulbs from the doors. I use a Coleman magnetic led in the rear over the tailgate.

Salue

Adventurer
I've got LED's in the doors also but still; it's literally a 5 second job to use a screwdriver to close the latch mechanism on the hatch. It'll take longer to find the screwdriver/tool than to close the latch.

JohnnyS

Explorer
I disconnected the switch at the rear door latch, which only takes a screwdriver and a few minutes. It made a big difference with "light pollution" around camp as I normally leave the tailgate open.

JQ11

Observer
I disconnected the switch at the rear door latch, which only takes a screwdriver and a few minutes. It made a big difference with "light pollution" around camp as I normally leave the tailgate open.

Would love to hear a bit more on how you did this? Can you give a few step-by-steps?

ssssnake529

Explorer

How do you do this? What do I unscrew?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998