Two off-roaders fined, sentenced to probation for Lake Tahoe damage

spressomon

Expedition Leader
I wonder what the maximum allowable fine is for such an offense? Not knowing the circumstances I tend to agree: If the damage was moderate to severe the fines seem light. The only way we're going to get the renegades to stay on the trail is through their pockets :ylsmoke:. Ditto for the folks that think the backcountry is just another dump.

And I was surprised the offenders didn't have to assist in the field repairs. Maybe the judge is a renegade off-roader...

Thanks for posting J.

Brian McVickers

Administrator
Staff member
Interesting that most of the responses assumed that they were riding ATVs when the article said "4 wheel drive vehicles"

RHINO

Expedition Leader
whats interesting to me is that they were in a designated OHV area, why would it matter if they made a new trail, if they were still IN the OHV boundary, isnt that land set aside for off roading? just a big open play area?

tmac

Adventurer
whats interesting to me is that they were in a designated OHV area, why would it matter if they made a new trail, if they were still IN the OHV boundary, isnt that land set aside for off roading? just a big open play area?

Really?...... Just because it's a OHV area doesn't mean you can go all willy-nilly and make your own "trails". This is a quote from the website below.

"The Angeles National Forest provides 364 miles of designated OHV routes (roads). Because of the many different uses of the Forest and the delicate environment, all OHV travel must be on designated routes and trails or in designated Open Areas."

I doubt they were in a "designated Open Area"

"The men were accused of damaging a nearly 1-acre area by causing deep ruts in the soil, creating new routes and disturbing ground cover"

http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/angeles/recreation/ohv.shtml

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters

There are several common classifications of motorized travel, the ones that we are most likely to encounter.

Cross-Country travel permitted, this would be places like sand dunes, salt flats, dry lake beds, etc. In fact most of southern Utah used to be open to cross-country travel just a few years back.

Limited to existing route. Meaning if there is an existing route, its open to travel.

Limited to designated routes. Meaning if the routes are not marked or on a map, they are to be considered closed.

For example the popular 5 Mile Pass OHV recreation area southwest of Salt Lake City combines cross-country and existing routes in different areas. With a new RMP in the works it will likely go to all existing routes and some areas to designated routes only.

RHINO

Expedition Leader
so do they have areas within OHV areas to just go willy nilly? i think they should,, i think every OHV area should have a place for just plain ol' sillyness.

Last edited:

RR1

Explorer
so do they have areas within OHV areas to just go willy nilly? i think they should,, i think every OHV area should have a place for just plain ol' sillyness.

Dunes.

Of course that still pisses some people off.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39345

Maybe someone should tell this guy to go pound sand...some uptight XXXXX out there.

I firmly reject this as a "contribution" to anything, or anyone, other than the OP's ego. The dunes are a special place, and ought not be a canvas for a visitor's idea of what needs to be memorialized.

I care very little that these tracks will be covered quickly. They just should not be there, And, it embarrases me that it carries this sites name, that I hold in higher regard than this.

Clearly, I do not know where this dune is. If in Colorado, it could be a wilderness area, or perhaps BLM land. In either case, my opinion is unchanged. If it is wilderness, it very well may be illegal.

Dale

Last edited by a moderator:

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters

Depends on the area, we have open cross-country areas within other motorized travel areas here in Utah, but they are getting fewer and further in between.

...Of course that still pisses some people off.
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39345..

I think the posters issue in particular was that dune is not open to motorized traffic?? I'm not familiar with it so I honestly can't say...

Moab and Grand Junction

Not Moab, the new RMP that became law over a year ago now eliminated thousands of acres of legal cross-country travel in favor of nearly the entire Moab BLM district being designated routes only. The days of the wild west in terms of OHV travel are long gone. 6/11 of Utah's BLM districts revised their RMP's in the last 5 years... nearly all eliminated wide scale cross-country travel.

rynosurf

Adventurer
There are some desert areas in so cal where you can pretty much ride wherever you want...if you can make it!

RR1

Explorer
"That Dune" Happens to be in a National Park, which is a whole lot different to a OHV play area.

ooh it is just sand, isn't like it is permanent. A little wind it is gone. Some of you guys are too damn serious. Don't see anyone up in arms over the roads through National parks, those at one time were pristine wild lands.

National Parks were catered towards automobiles when they were first built.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior