Two Zone Club

teotwaki

Excelsior!
So what was the approximate overall time it took to sufficiently cool the Two-Zone?

Well...... I don't have hour by hour measurements to say for sure. In the first hour it dropped 8 degrees then I was away for another 8 hours and it had dropped another 15 degrees somewhere in that 8 hours. The temp probe was touching the bottle so it was not really measuring air temp but it was closer to the bottle's temp.

I am sure that MrBishi's bigger fan cools faster so it is just a matter of how much room to give up for the size of the fan and how often you might be opening the fridge up. Buried in my garage I have some more 12v fans that fit somewhere in between in terms of size.

Another couple of ideas

Have the cooling fan be triggered ON by the main compressor and use a delay timer to keep it running for a while longer. A really easy circuit to build with a 555 timer IC.

In the base of the TwoZone basket have one of those 1/2" high flat trays that has built in fans used to cool the bottom of a laptop computer.

Maybe put some insulating foam in the bottom of the TwoZone basket to trap the cold air that the ducted fan blows in?

Thanks again to MrBishi for such a great idea!

mrbishi

Adventurer
Perhaps with the bigger fan even though its working at a lower RPM it moves a larger volume of air and has a better cooling effect?

I haven't conducted any tests on mine but I know I can fill it up with warm cans of beer/coke etc when I pack my fridge the morning before a trip and when I get to a campsite 2-3 hours later the drinks are really nice and frosty cold :D Then more importantly throughout the trip the contents in the TwoZone stay nice and cold as the Engel.

No worries guys - this is what Expo is all about, sharing ideas!

Last edited:

teotwaki

Excelsior!
Perhaps with the bigger fan even though its working at a lower RPM it moves a larger volume of air and has a better cooling effect?

I haven't conducted any tests on mine but I know I can fill it up with warn cans of beer/coke etc when I pack my fridge the morning before a trip and when I get to a campsite 2-3 hours later the drinks are really nice and frosty cold :D

No worries guys - this is what Expo is all about, sharing ideas!

Agree that more air flow is good! I'll be digging around the garage for the next size fan. I've only spent $5 so far and already had a million dollars worth of fun! :wings:

go4aryd

Adventurer
This is a great idea. For me - I love the temp difference of the Two Zone and my Engle 35. I keep the bottom cold at abt 31 degrees and let the two zone hover around 40-45. I don't run a Two Zone cover, just the Engle transit cover combined with an old army surplus wool blanket over the top of the two-zone, being careful not to block the compressor vents in the back of the Engle. I run baskets in the two zone and one smaller inside the std Engle large basket.

I like this fan idea especially for long trips. Nothing like a square meal to keep the trip a happy one!

Cabrito

I come in Peace
Just joined the club

Well I did it. I decided to go ahead and get one for a couple of reasons.
First reason is that I recently got a MT35 on Craigslist. It's awesome, but a little small for a week long trip. It was alright but on our vacation earlier this month we could have used a little more room.
Second reason is that I am hearing now that TwoZone has been bought out and the prices are going way up.
I figured now was a good time since the folks over at Sierra Expeditions are having a 10% off sale.
I can't wait to get it and try the fan mod from this thread.

Still not sure if I want to get the cover or not.

Great thread!

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
For us in the USA, TwoZone is going to be a thing of the past. TwoZone got some new owners and in the change of ownership raised their prices. The increase in price, makes it almost cheaper to just buy another Engel.:Wow1:

teotwaki

Excelsior!
For us in the USA, TwoZone is going to be a thing of the past. TwoZone got some new owners and in the change of ownership raised their prices. The increase in price, makes it almost cheaper to just buy another Engel.:Wow1:

The silver lining for me is that almost nothing can go wrong with the Two-Zone that I have. I hope that they will still have parts for the model I have in case a hinge pin breaks or a gasket tears.

ThomD

Explorer
Since Wil no longer stocks TwoZone units, does anyone know of a US dealer that has them in stock?

dbreid

Adventurer
Reviving a thread from the (distant) past.

Does anyone know of a way to get a twozone in the US now? Or does anyone have one they'd be willing to sell me?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12