twowhlrcr's 2000 4Runner

twowhlrcr

Well, just before the purchase of my "new to me" 2000 4Runner 2 weeks ago, I was surfing this site to get info on the truck I wanted....I found a beauty....a 2000 4WD 4Runner with only 60,000 miles on it (snow birds from IL, spent winters here in AZ).

The 1st pic is the day I brought it home.

The 2nd is after removing the running boards, mudflaps and fender trim.

The 3rd.....Oh the 3rd, was taken tonight after I was hit by a Dodge Ram that ran a red light (Just Fantastic).

So Monday the 20th I go get the estimate for the (of course...ladie's) insurance. I am going to my buddy who run's a bodyshop here in town.

My buildup questions is: Obviously I have an oppurtunity to make a few mods to the vehicle. What should I be looking at trying to upgrade or change on the vehicle as I go through this process. Just looking to see where you guys would start.

Thanks.

Attachments

• 4Runner forum1.JPG
    4Runner forum1.JPG
    42.6 KB · Views: 36
  • 4runner forum 2.JPG
    4runner forum 2.JPG
    38.2 KB · Views: 30
  • 4runner forum 3.JPG
    4runner forum 3.JPG
    30.5 KB · Views: 64

Applejack

Explorer
I would talk to the body shop to see if they'll swap on a heavy duty front bumper like an ARB instead of a factory one. You may have to pay a little out of pocket for it but not near the full cost of one. the ladies insurance doesn't need to know anything about it.:sombrero:

austintaco

Explorer
Ouch. That's harsh. My first newish Toyota back in 96 was smashed by a 80 year old lady running a stop sign. However, male, female, young, or old, we all make mistakes.

When you work with their adjuster, demand that they use Toyota parts for everything. If they ask why, explain to them that your truck had factory Toyota parts on it before the accident and you want factory parts on their when you get it back.

Obviously, start shopping bumpers now. You should be able to pick up an ARB on one of the forums, craigslist, or from one of the vendors. Beyond that, I don't know what else will be replaced, but when you get the estimate, post back up.

sasaholic

Adventurer
if they frame is tweaked have that fixed, then do all the other work yourself and pocket the labor cost. more money for goodies

Terracoma

Adventurer
When you work with their adjuster, demand that they use Toyota parts for everything. If they ask why, explain to them that your truck had factory Toyota parts on it before the accident and you want factory parts on their when you get it back.

This, for sure. After working as the parts guy at a collision repair shop for a while, definitely demand OEM Toyota parts be specified for the estimate and actually used to complete the repair. The fit and finish on the majority of aftermarket collision repair parts is remarkably terrible: thin material, improper shape/lines, misaligned mounting holes, excessive shipping damage, et cetera...

I would talk to the body shop to see if they'll swap on a heavy duty front bumper like an ARB instead of a factory one. You may have to pay a little out of pocket for it but not near the full cost of one. the ladies insurance doesn't need to know anything about it.

Agreed. Have the at-fault driver's insurance write you a check and tell them that you'll oversee the repairs yourself. Personally, I would go with used Toyota parts (from a recycler) for the sheet metal parts, headlights, and grille, then spend the rest of the payout on upgrades. The cost difference between new and used parts should net you enough leftover for an ARB bull bar, fixed mast AM/FM antenna, and maybe a few other small upgrades.

twowhlrcr

The estimate from the driver at fault's insurance was $4252.00. I'll keep you posted once I get it to my boy's bodyshop.

bomar

Adventurer
The estimate from the driver at fault's insurance was $4252.00. I'll keep you posted once I get it to my boy's bodyshop.

When they total it buy it back from them and then you have cash in the bank and you can do what ever you want with the truck.

The ARB will cost less than a new OEM bumper and all the parts that are needed for the bumper.

twowhlrcr

Well, finally got the check from Allstate for $4300.00. Dropped it off at the bodyshop last night. They are going to do the core support back and I will handle the grill, lights, front bumper etc. I am having the "sport" hood installed instead of the stock one. We had a huge hail storm out here in AZ so the shops are backed up. Probably be about 3-4 weeks. Later.

twowhlrcr

And it's finally home. Time to get the bumper ordered and start bolting on some parts.

Attachments

• $Runner 004 em.JPG
    $Runner 004 em.JPG
    57 KB · Views: 24
  • $Runner 005 em.JPG
    $Runner 005 em.JPG
    54.6 KB · Views: 23
  • $Runner 006 em.JPG
    $Runner 006 em.JPG
    53.7 KB · Views: 28

twowhlrcr

Right now the Shrockworks is at the top of my list. I know it's a long order time but it looks clean. I'll be shopping over the next couple weeks so I'm open to ideas. Thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dgollman