TX, NM, AZ, UT (and maybe CA?), aka the bumper run

Dolomiti

Adventurer
My wife and I picked up this gen 2.5 Montero back in July with low miles, but some rust. Was initially surprised as it was a Texas car, but spent time in Iowa.

Anyway, with 110k, it replaced my nearly identical Montero with 260k. I've since completely replaced the front end and cooling system, replaced all the suspension and steering bushings, added OME shocks and Heavy Duty rear springs, threw on some 33x10.5 BFG MTs, built a drawer for the back, installed some Rocky Road super sliders, and installed a $250 ATV ramp roof rack.

We're off on our first road trip with our 5 month old for Thanksgiving week. What initially started as a trip to grab a ARB clone front bumper from a forum member out in PHX, has turned into a mini jaunt to also grab a rear euro bumper cover for my M535i in San Diego and possibly an Eezi-Awn.

We're leaving tomorrow morning. Other than a visit in El Paso and a stop in PHX and the North Rim of the Grand Canyon, our trip is pretty open. Will probably do some stuff in Southern Utah that I've always missed (Zion and Bryce) and maybe Chaco Canyon in NM. Any other suggestions would be cool.

image.jpg

DaJudge

Explorer
Bring warm clothes!
If you are going to Chaco (which I highly recommend) you might want to go to Mesa Verde as well. For beautiful scenery you could drive through Monument Valley and Valley of the Gods in southern Utah.
How much driving do you want to do?

Dolomiti

Adventurer
Bring warm clothes!
If you are going to Chaco (which I highly recommend) you might want to go to Mesa Verde as well. For beautiful scenery you could drive through Monument Valley and Valley of the Gods in southern Utah.
How much driving do you want to do?

Thanks. Monument Valley is great. Any dirt suggestions crossing it? Mesa Verde may already be closed but I'll check. I'm always over there at the wrong time of the year.

Looking forward to tons of pics and a great report. Keep the newborn safe and warm also.

Safe travels.

Thanks! I may need to borrow some of your Jerry cans for the roof ;-)

mph

Expedition Leader
Check out the Vermillion Cliffs and Grand Staircase...Have fun!

My wife and I picked up this gen 2.5 Montero back in July with low miles, but some rust. Was initially surprised as it was a Texas car, but spent time in Iowa.

Anyway, with 110k, it replaced my nearly identical Montero with 260k. I've since completely replaced the front end and cooling system, replaced all the suspension and steering bushings, added OME shocks and Heavy Duty rear springs, threw on some 33x10.5 BFG MTs, built a drawer for the back, installed some Rocky Road super sliders, and installed a $250 ATV ramp roof rack.

We're off on our first road trip with our 5 month old for Thanksgiving week. What initially started as a trip to grab a ARB clone front bumper from a forum member out in PHX, has turned into a mini jaunt to also grab a rear euro bumper cover for my M535i in San Diego and possibly an Eezi-Awn.

We're leaving tomorrow morning. Other than a visit in El Paso and a stop in PHX and the North Rim of the Grand Canyon, our trip is pretty open. Will probably do some stuff in Southern Utah that I've always missed (Zion and Bryce) and maybe Chaco Canyon in NM. Any other suggestions would be cool.

View attachment 257052

DaJudge

Explorer
Mesa Verde is open all year. Only part of it closes. Also, are you aware that everything at the North Rim is closed? You can still drive down there until they get snowed in but there are no services. There is a little dirt drive around Monument Valley and the Valley of the Gods road is dirt. You could drive up Butler Wash along Comb Ridge.

Dolomiti

Adventurer
Mesa Verde is open all year. Only part of it closes. Also, are you aware that everything at the North Rim is closed? You can still drive down there until they get snowed in but there are no services. There is a little dirt drive around Monument Valley and the Valley of the Gods road is dirt. You could drive up Butler Wash along Comb Ridge.

I thought that the road (not services) was open on North Rim until Dec 1. I know it's something I'll have to verify once were out in AZ. Also thought cliff houses were closed at MV this time of year.

Thanks for the other recommendations.

pyrate

Rollin' along
A quick trip through Anza Borrego just east of San Diego or Joshua Tree would be recommended. If you are going as far north as Zion, perhaps consider Death Valley too. And Valley of Fire SP just outside Las Vegas is worth the side trip.

Dolomiti

Adventurer
A quick trip through Anza Borrego just east of San Diego or Joshua Tree would be recommended. If you are going as far north as Zion, perhaps consider Death Valley too. And Valley of Fire SP just outside Las Vegas is worth the side trip.

Thanks!

Dolomiti

Adventurer
with SneakyNinja's help, got the fauxrb installed.

headed to Prescott, Jerome, and Camp Verde. fun begins tomorrow.

image.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears