Votes: 6 20.7%
  • Goodyear Wrangler MT/R w/kevlar

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

targa88

Explorer
Another set of tyres to be purchased.
Criteria:
1) Expedition use. On road/offroad split 70/30.
2) Most off-roading: desert sand, loose gravel roads, slick rock. Some snow.
3) Durability: both in terms of tread ware and puncture resistant
4) Ability to purchase/replacement: common size and readily available in small town (not necessarily in the USA)

Current selection (not in any particular order):
1. BFG AT K/O
2. BFG MT T/A KM2
3. Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac
4. Good Wrangler M/TR - Kevlar

rezdiver

Adventurer
do you have a canadian tire near you?
if you are considering the duratracks, look at the goodyear wrangler territory and compare the two. as far as i could tell they were the exact same tire just slightly different tread and a lot cheaper.

mires

Adventurer
It sounds like the BFG All Terrains would be the best fit for you. Many people have had some bad sidewall experiences with the Duratracs in the rocks. Apparently the sidewalls are a bit thinner then the BFG's which makes them more prone to cuts and punctures.

targa88

Explorer
It sounds like the BFG All Terrains would be the best fit for you. Many people have had some bad sidewall experiences with the Duratracs in the rocks. Apparently the sidewalls are a bit thinner then the BFG's which makes them more prone to cuts and punctures.

BTT - 167 views= 17 votes....

Mr. Leary

Glamping Excursionaire
None of the above. Check out Bridgestone Dueller A/T Revos. Incredible life, very tough, great in snow. They do well in everything except soupy mud. Available in standard sizes up to 33". I have run two sets of these, and have been impressed both times.

I have not had a set of any of the tires above except the KM2s.

My KM2s are great for most stuff, but I have not been impressed with durability. There is a lot of chunking and I have had to warranty two tires so far due to sidewall cuts. I am rotating between 6 tires, and I seem to be getting decent tread life out of them. They are very quiet for MTs and handle pretty well on the street. Off road they pretty much hook up to anything. The size I have (255/85/R16) is not conducive to deep mud, but I have not gotten myself really stuck anywhere else.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
F-c ii

I voted for DuraTrac just to pick one from your list though I have never run them myself. I like the tread pattern/void-ratio and the shape of the sipes. A buddy recently put a set of 31x10.50R15 on his '96 Tacoma and we are watching the wear.

For a 'common size' available most places I would suggest you stay with the excellent, versatile, ubiquitous LT265/75R16 size, assuming these tires are for your FJC as you did not say. Another positive of the DuraTacs in this size is they are offered in load-range-C in addition to LR E. Personally I prefer a softer ride on/off-highway and think a LR E tire is overly stiff for most light rigs, my 'heavy' 4Runner included.

As you know, all equipment choices involve compromises and it seems we all want great wear, ruggedness, etc., and not all traits are always available in one product. To throw-out yet another tire I would suggest the ******** Cepek F-C II tread, a current favorite of mine. I'm tracking and testing a few sets of these tires on different rigs and I'm very impressed with the wear potential of these tires, as well as their on-road winter traction. Of course in the 265/75R16 size they only come in a LR E, but since you are a bit focused on ‘durability' that might be good for your application.

None of the above. snip...

Last edited:

CanuckMariner/Nomad

Love having fun 😊 in the 🌞 by the ⛵ and the ⏳
As we spoken before on this topic and in depth, things to consider:

• Availability - find a tire that is easily replaced in Canada or W. USA say at a big chain store (Les Swabb, OK Tire, Big-O, Wal-Mart, Sams, Costco, etc.) Keeps the price down and if a tire is damaged beyond repair, easily replaced and quickly!
  • Application - your 70/30 ratio is off a bit I think, as most people spend at least +90% getting to the trails on the highway and then less than 10% doing the trails, at least that is what I have found. So picking a tire that is good on the highway, sound and durability is important.
I think you will find that the BFGs are quite good for your application and availability as well as pricing. One of the most widely sold and in expensive tires in the class and have an excellent reputation!

BTW: they are quite good in snow! costumed-smiley-007

WMDunkin

Adventurer
I have had great experience with the Firestone Destination AT

fs_destination_at_owl_ci2_l.jpg

I got really good life out of them and they performed well in winter and all road conditions. I did a little off-roading with and they worked well. They exceeded my expectations every time I put them into a place/position that I thought they wouldn't make.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears