Tyres for expedition use on a 1300L

mervifwdc

Adventurer
Hi,

I'm getting ready for a long expedition starting in 2012, and thinking about tyres. I'm quite happy with slow, so I'll go with a small size (i.e. I dont need tall tyres to gear me up). I'm debating between the 12.5x20 (335//80R20) Continental MPT81, or the michelin 12.00 or 365/80R20 XZL

The continental seems to be regarded as quieter on the road, and both seem pretty good when new (or almost new) for both off road grip, and for being puncture resistant.

I'll be running pretty heavy for a 1300L, probably over 7,000KG.

Any comments on these tyres, and should I be concidering a third option?

Merv.

Tennmogger

Explorer
I like the Michelin XL radial tires. I have run 12.5's on several 406 and 404 Unimogs for many years and on my U-1300 (14.5 x 20) for about 3 years. The most wear experience, mileage, has been on the U-1300 having put on 70,000 km in that time. I wore out the original XL's in about 20k km, another "90%" set of XL's lasted about 40k to 45k km, and then I switched to new Continental E-6's for 5k km (hated them), and back to new XL's. The E-6's were bias ply tires, noticeably harder to power, wore quickly, and 'set up' with flat spots when parked for any time. Note though that I have no experience with radial Continentals and have heard good things about the MPT-81's.

A big mistake is to run the Michelin XLs at too high pressure. For example, I only run 30 to 32 psi on the U-1300 now. In my ignorance I made a 5000 mile trip with 50 to 60 psi in a set of 14.5's and they wore quickly and unevenly (but they really rolled easily!!)

As heavy as you run, you might consider the larger 14.5's for their heavier load rating of 7165 pounds (3300 kg) each. A pair of those gives you 14,000 lbs per axle. These are the rating off my tires and new ones might vary.

I run 12.5's on two 404 Unimogs and those have a 4400 lb (2000 kg) rating each, or 8800 lbs per axle.

IMHO, if you are really loading to 7000 kg truck total / 3500 per axle / 1750 kg per tire, the 12.5's (2000 kg) barely give you any extra payload capacity. And that's assuming the front and rear are loaded equally which is usually not the case.

With 12.5's you will have to keep the tire pressure high to achieve the payload rating, and will see heavy wear, probably. Running larger tires at lower pressure works well for me.

Good luck, and btw, I drive slow, too, because I enjoy it more.

Bob

CruiserMog

In my opinion there is no better Mog tire than the XM-47. I ran them on my 416. While the chevron tractor tread may LOOK like it doesn't run well on pavement, it's actually the straightest, smoothest rolling Mog tire I've experienced. They are very well made, balance perfectly, wear well, and overall are a very high quality option.

In western states this is undoubtedly less of a concern, but anywhere mud or organic soil is encountered, you'll quickly be reminded that most 4X4s clear their tires with wheel speed and the associated centrifugal force. Unless you're driving a Hellgeth U10,000 Dresden Breslau champion rig, wheel speed is not an option in a Mog. Therefore the tread pattern of the XM is necessary to shed mud.

I will concede that on slick rock having a larger contact patch would most likely be preferable.

Overall however, I think the XM-47 is the ultimate Mog tire. They ain't cheap though!

grizzlyj

Tea pot tester
What are XM-47s like on cold, wet tarmac?

On my 1300l I had 14.50 MPT 80s which apart from the noise were good.

My 1700 now has 395/85R20 XZLs which I think are better all round and quieter. Split rims make changing them easy, but they are heavy and sometimes don't like staying inflated. Thats probably wheels of varying vintage though.

14.00R20 is the only size I've seen available in Morocco in tyre shops, such as they are. Left overs from some rally or another probably. Using a size you know is widely available where you're heading too has to be a good thing, but I've no idea how you find that out!!!

I think an SBU mog on less than 14.50s looks undertyred. And apart from storage on the vehicle I can't think why bigger tyres would be a bad thing? (Staying within 14.50 for a 1300, or 395s for mine as I think they are the biggest diameter they were respectively designed for?) Thats also assuming you have the HP to turn them when you're as laden as you will be.

A bigger aired down footprint with all that weight may be handy too at some point?

Chas Stricker

Adventurer
I've only used MPT81s (2 sets) and they work well as a compromise for on and off-road. I've had both sets siped and that has helped in the snow and off-road. I agree that for off-road only to some on road that the XM47s are unmatched. For driving down the dirt or paved roads for hours give me the MPT81s. I drive with guys that have the XMs and the XZLs and they seem to do well also. I've never wheeled with them in the ice and snow.
Good Luck,
Chas

762X39

Explorer
I am running a set of MPT 81's and quite like them. As others have stated they are a good compromise between on and off pavement use, are relatively inexpensive and easy to find (in my experience anyway, I was able to order them at my local 4X4 shop).:coffee:

mogwildRW1

Adventurer
I run the Michilin XM-47's on my truck as well. I have 40,000+km on them so far, that includes Mud, dirt, pavement, and 2 Canadian winters.

There is no better tire. Period.

Both my Unimogs had MPT-80's, and the XM-47's, despite the looks, are about 1/2 as loud in the cab, the sound alone was worth the price to me. There unstoppable offroad, the won't plug with mud, they don't throw rocks on gravel roads (my MPT-80's threw a rock up, and forward, and it hit my own windshield!) and there damn good even in the snow. Also, you can air them down lots, I've had mine down to 15psi, and no worries about de-beading a tire.

Both my sets of MPT-80's wore in a weird pattern on the front, typical of large tires, every second lug wore funny. The XM's are wearing wonderfully, a nice even pattern.

My ONLY caution would be on snow, in a side slope situation, in a side slope, the bars act like a smooth flat tire, and the Unimog slides sideways, chains would be your friend in this situation, as with any tire in deep snow or ice anyway.

There expensive, but I wouldn't hesitate to buy another set tomorrow, there the only tires I would run after owning them.

mogwildRW1

Adventurer
It may have rebounded off the ground and up... I remember seeing it fly upwards and thinking... "what the hell was...." fwack! oh...a rock I guess ;)

mervifwdc

Adventurer
Folks, The feedback has been superb! And very much appreciated.

Based on loads of reading I've been doing, and talking with some trucking buddies of mine, I'm thinking towards getting new tyres, rather than ex mil tyres which may have been laying about for ages. I'd use them in a heartbeat if I was just running around my back yard (well, you know what I mean) but I'm looking to do a big run through North, Central and South America, so I want to be as confident that I'll have as few punctures or issues as possible.

Size wise, I think the 365/80 or 14.50 is the one to go for, purely on the load rating / wear issue. I've gone off the smaller ones. I currently have a NA engine (naturally asphyxiated) but hope to resolve that too. Will the 14.50 size still fit in the standard spare wheel location, horizontal just behind the front left hand wheel?

Merv.
So, I'm getting prices from my local tyre places for both continental and michelins. That might be enough to decide it!

Last edited:

mogwildRW1

Adventurer
You can fit a 14.5 in the stock spare location, might have to let the air out to get it in, it will go... ;)

As a point of reference, when I purchased my 405-70 XM-47's (14.5 equivalent) they were $856each, plus mounting.

Tennmogger

Explorer
I also found that a 14.5 will 'fit', but, the fit is so tight on my truck (ex-RW-1 bed) that even with the tire aired down to minimum to hold the bead on, I can barely manage to place the tire in the slot. To test the fit, I had to drive it into place with a 20 lb sledge hammer. Hmmmm, maybe a gallon of K-Y jel. I chose to run a 12.5 spare so I could manage the tire by myself.

No doubt if on a long trip, a 14.5 would be the obvious choice for a spare. Hope one fits your truck.

Bob

grizzlyj

Tea pot tester
Contis in the UK are half or less than the cost of Michelins.

My truck came with 4 XZLs and I wanted two more. Luckily two second hand but unused ones turned up at less than half the new price, are to me like new, and don't look as old as the ones already fitted.

Some tracks we've been on we had a smoother ride driving by the side of it over fist side rocks at maybe 20mph than on the track at about 8-10mph. I can't see any damage, so next time despite the cost, I think I'd stick with Michelins?

:)

mervifwdc

Adventurer
Just to close this off, I went for the conti 365 80 and so far I am pleased. I have almost 6k on them, and all good so fay. I have o leave the spare at about 20psi to get it in, and am concerned about wear on its sidewall.

Quiet on the road, grand in snow and sand.

Hope they wear as good as the Michelin. Time will tell!

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=30.904125,-6.898039

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior