Tyres for FG637

Thylacoleo

My truck currently runs a combination of G101 and SP377 which are essentially highway tyres. I am looking to replace them with AT type tyres. Anticipated use is 80% highway around 15% unsealed roads and <5% mud sand etc. I don't want to go for SS at the moment not least for financial reasons! I'm still working on the truck so i'm not sure yet if i can derate it to 4.5GVM. Any suggestion for suitable tyres? Thanks for your advice. Incidentally I have an ex ADF ambulance the same as Vince666.

vince666

Hi, I'm currently investigating de-rating my ex Army ambo to 4.5t, I'll let you know how I go. Rego on mine as a heavy vehicle is $1100 pa. And I believe at 5500kg GVM I have to stop at open heavy vehicle inspection points, what I don't know is if I'm required to carry and fill out a log book?

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
And I believe at 5500kg GVM I have to stop at open heavy vehicle inspection points
You might want to check on that... as far as I am aware, only vehicles above 8 tonne are required to stop at the heavy vehicle inspection points. Same goes for log books.

blackduck

Explorer
Hi, I'm currently investigating de-rating my ex Army ambo to 4.5t, I'll let you know how I go. Rego on mine as a heavy vehicle is $1100 pa. And I believe at 5500kg GVM I have to stop at open heavy vehicle inspection points, what I don't know is if I'm required to carry and fill out a log book?

hey vince
you got that trailer painted camo yet?
WRT lowering GVM your local mitsi truck dealer should be able to help you, they offer it as an option on new trucks and have the contacts for the paperwork and inspections required
you might also want to check out registering it as a motorhome - not sure about mexico but in qld its cheaper
as far as weigh stations and log books go if your not using the vehicle commercially your normaly pretty right
you might get the odd scaley that wants to weigh you but theyre interested mainly in the heavy transport industry
anyway while its in camo theyll think its army and wont touch you

Thespoon

Observer
Hi all
my vehicle (6t GVM) is registered (in Qld) as a "Truck based Motorhome" for private use. I don't have to drive into Checking Stations and don't have to carry a Log book.
Was once directed by a cop into a Checking Station but was immediately waved through by the DOT Official when he noticed what my vehicle was.
Cheers
Adrian

vince666

Hi all,sorry to get off the original thread re tyres. I haven't been able to find written advice re the status of on road inspections for heavy vehicles, however a call to vicroads suggested that any vehicle of 5500kg or greater is considered a heavy vehicle and must stop at open heavy vehicle inspection points. This may only relate to Victoria?

vince666

Hey Gareth, how's the mods going with your FG, I'm keen on seeing your ideas for an inside fitout, due to work and other commitments mines been on hold, and not likely to get much done this side of Christmas.
Stu, I've decided not to use that tandem trailer for general use, it's just too heavy, I'm looking to get a lighter single axle trailer that can carry 2 bikes, I'm thinking a camo canvas top. Also like to run Canter rims on it if I can find the hubs (I've got 7 new canter rims and tyres) if not Land Cruiser will do.
Thanks

blackduck

Explorer
Stu, I've decided not to use that tandem trailer for general use, it's just too heavy, I'm looking to get a lighter single axle trailer that can carry 2 bikes, I'm thinking a camo canvas top. Also like to run Canter rims on it if I can find the hubs (I've got 7 new canter rims and tyres) if not Land Cruiser will do.
Thanks

Hey Vince
good call re the tandem, if there's one thing experience has taught me - the more space youve got in a trailer, the more junk you'll pack into it
whatever you end up with youve gotta stick with the camo
WRT hubs for the trailer you might be able to rig the hubs off the disk front end of an FE
it may require the custom manufacture of stub axles on an independant suspension setup - but tough as !!!

hub1.jpghub2.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears