taco2go

Explorer
Beach combing:
629420565_TZY7c-L.jpg

40 doing 40:
629396269_jxHCQ-L.jpg

Crisp Point:
629483117_xXACp-L.jpg

I wanted to share some pictures of the totally spectacular sunset we were offered on Saturday just off the campsite.
Did anyone mention how beautiful the UP is? - Pictures don't do it justice.
WARNING- sensory overload, proceed with caution:

629555676_i4ekJ-L.jpg

629576417_74xg4-L.jpg

629584545_mdonm-L.jpg

629521939_ehkhD-L.jpg

629492902_WJbvV-L.jpg

629475285_vJW88-L.jpg

Like most, I like to play around with composition and try to create what my mind's eye is seeing. Sometimes the light and dynamic range is so overwhelming that I get a bit like a mad painter trying to capture it all- out comes the tripod and the graduated filters, and I keep clicking- like at the unbelievable sunset we had at 2 Hearted. Hopefully some of them 'turn out'. On the more stylized landscape pictures I have used multiple exposures - hence the HDR-ish look. Have to be careful though, as sometimes I think they have this 'cartoonish' look. I played around with a bleached look (heavy contrast) using Nikon's color Efx on a couple of road shots.
I'm always learning, and this trip definitely delivered plenty of material. :smiley_drive:

Silver dude

Xplorer
The event was spectacular!! Definitely hands down the the best wheeling trip I have ever been on period. The past week made all of the modifications and time I invested in my rig really shine. The fantastic group of people, really made the event what it was. Big thanks to Kristian and Jason for your fantastic route planning and guidance. I racked up just over a 1000 miles last week.

I have a few pics...

One of the twisty roads on the way up.
DSC09319.jpg

On the way to high rocks.
DSC09326-1.jpg

At high rocks
DSC09332-1.jpg

DSC09336-1.jpg

DSC09345.jpg

DSC09355.jpg

DSC09378.jpg

DSC09377.jpg

Out at Gay beach.
DSC09387.jpg

DSC09399.jpg

josie_24

Like most, I like to play around with composition and try to create what my mind's eye is seeing. Sometimes the light and dynamic range is so overwhelming that I get a bit like a mad painter trying to capture it all- out comes the tripod and the graduated filters, and I keep clicking- like at the unbelievable sunset we had at 2 Hearted. Hopefully some of them 'turn out'. On the more stylized landscape pictures I have used multiple exposures - hence the HDR-ish look. Have to be careful though, as sometimes I think they have this 'cartoonish' look. I played around with a bleached look (heavy contrast) using Nikon's color Efx on a couple of road shots.
I'm always learning, and this trip definitely delivered plenty of material. :smiley_drive:

Thanks Joash for sharing your info!! I thought it looked like there were a couple of exposures. I was going to ask you about filters too--you have some great effects going with those!!

taco2go

Explorer
Nice photos Silverdude- I esp like the one from the interior of the Nissan. It sure got wet and windy.

The videos are awesome. Kristian and Jason- you guys did a terrific job- that was a LOT of planning; I think you both deserve a lifetime subscription to the OJ. (If the publishers are reading)

Thanks Josie- sorry I don't have a lot of technical information. I don't really have a system as yet. My workflow varies and I can PM you a step by step on what I did. I do not use any color filters- just graduated Neutral density filters - I think I used a 2 stop hard step for all the sunset pics. Prefer that to spending lots of time on the computer.

Pad

Adventurer
Awesome trip! We got back into town Mon.@5:30, just in time to be reminded
what 6 lanes of traffic looks like, saw more cars in a second than we saw all week.
Saw lots of troopers out, luckily most where already writing tickets, got lots of double takes but no pursuits.
Really spectacular photos! We will post some later this week + video.
Hope everyone made it home breakdown free.

Again great group of people and HUGE thanks to Jason & Kristian!!!!
Pad & Beth

Rattler

Thornton Melon's Kid
A few more.

Mark & Jaime's camp at Huron Bay
SDC12385-1.jpg

Ian getting up the muddy climb
SDC12518-1.jpg

Pad looks like he is running the Camel Trophy
SDC12520-1.jpg

Kristian going primetime!
SDC12555.jpg

Tim hitting a waterhole
SDC12637.jpg

Dave doing the same
SDC12638.jpg

A rough & cold Superior knocking at the Miner's Castle
SDC12640.jpg

Kristian heading down the ExPo-built path
SDC12672.jpg

Had I known my camera was going to be a POS, I would have picked up a different one. My 8 yo Mavica would have done a better job than this Samsung we picked up. Last year's pics came out so much better with the old camera. I think I see another investment coming.

off.track

Adventurer
wow.. great pictures everybody. looks like everyone had a great time.. there's nothing better then some sand and surf and love. congrats to the love birdies. :D

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
Joash, wow, those sunset shots are insane! Rarely do I ever feel photos can capture the feeling of a good sunset but congrats, I think that's about as close as you can get to it without hearing the crashing waves and feeling the sand blowing over your feet.

Ben, where did you end up going? I never saw you once we got to Grand Marais. Did we loose you or did you venture off?

Keep the pictures coming guys! I'm uploading shots from the second half right now. Jenn is editing the 150+ clips that she shot with the HD cam.

bluedog

Adventurer
All these are in the link I posted earlier but I know I like to see pictures in the thread, so here are a few more.

UPOverland2009098.jpg

UPOverland2009095.jpg

UPOverland2009096.jpg

UPOverland2009094.jpg

Moody

Needs to get out more
Excellent Guys (and Gals)!

This just made my meeting much more enjoyable...:victory:

cocco78

Adventurer
I'll post a few of my favorites from my album...

The start of the trip!
up_expedition029.jpg

up_expedition069.jpg

up_expedition071.jpg

up_expedition081.jpg

And the night I "made bacon"
up_expedition084.jpg

up_expedition096.jpg

up_expedition127.jpg

Pine tree in the African Savanna??!!
up_expedition144.jpg

up_expedition204.jpg