U1300L Camper

CragMog

Here's a better profile picture. I have yet to choose windows. Caravan windows on fire trails won't last long so the cheaper options won't fly. Right now my choice is between KCT or Outbound. Both very expensive, but Mogworthy.

The canvas has now been installed. It is quilted with basalt insulation between the canvas layers. We are hoping for a high level of insulation.

Attachments

• Box on.jpg
    Box on.jpg
    197.4 KB · Views: 114
  • Canvas poptop exterior.jpg
    Canvas poptop exterior.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 115
  • Canvas poptop interior front.jpg
    Canvas poptop interior front.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 111

Sitec

Adventurer
Right now my choice is between KCT or Outbound. Both very expensive, but Mogworthy.

Look up some marine hatch options... Half the money. vetus-maxwell.com and the like... I plan to use two deck hatches for our rear opening windows. :)

grizzlyj

Tea pot tester
When KCT are fully open the pane section blocks the view which seems a bit annoying, but tooooo much money anyhow!

Neil

Observer
As I write this I am looking at two overland vehicles.

One has KCT Windows and you are absolutely right. They completely direct your view.

The other has Outbound from Holland. I don't know much about them but they hinge from the top and open to near 90 degrees, giving full aperture. The look much neater, muck less frame , they sit recessed and I would imagine somewhat cheaper than KCT.

I know which I would have

Neil

Iain_U1250

Explorer
I have the Dometic double skin plastic windows in mine, and made these canvas covers for the closed in tree areas, the work great. Just sail track next to the window, and heavy duty canvas.

Mog Trip 2-00824-2.jpg

Being bigger, meant we always have to push our way through the trees, the branch bars on the front lost a fair bit of paint on the CSR, and the side of the truck was covered in tree sap, but the window were fine.

They fold up small, and takes about 2 minutes to put them on, and they help a lot keeping the heat out as well. Just have to remember to put them on before hearing into the rough stuff.

CragMog

Water ingress testing.......everything checks out with no leaks through the canvass, hatches or gullwing door.

Attachments

• Water ingress testing.jpg
    Water ingress testing.jpg
    198.9 KB · Views: 52

CragMog

That's the kitchen counter tops, SMEV sink and dinette table top, on a Lagun leg, finished. The "if you drop anything you are at risk of never finding it again" flooring has been glued in place. As you can see, my choice is whites and greys with colour in the cushions and bed covers. I'll add some more detailed photos once I'm up at FGS tomorrow. We plan on finishing off what is needed for a shake down run this weekend.

Attachments

• Kitchen tops finished.jpg
    Kitchen tops finished.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 97

CragMog

Shake down test underway - We found a magnificent camping site at Eurimbula NP and decided to stay for one night. So far we've been here for 4 nights with one more to go.

The camper is working very well, both for living and as a place for Wilma and I to work from. The Lagun legged table swings across the bench seat with sufficient space for two laptops. The large front kitchen bench (with toilet closed off) provides ample space for both of us to prepare or cook. Most of the cooking has been outside using the large spare tyre hatch as a table. It's a bit high so next time I'll bring a caravan step along. The inside and outside access to the fridge and main kitchen drawers is working well. I stand on the 2nd step and can easily reach into the fridge.

Having a hot & cold outside shower is surprisingly good. Given there are other folk in the camp site, we keep our swimmers on and navy-shower and then get back in the camper and dry off. No setup or break down required.

I still haven't decided whether I want windows or not. The 6 windows in the canvas work well, but I have noticed that the air doesn't circulate down low. We are running a couple of Sirocco fans to overcome that issue. I'll keep testing.

I had thought that 645 watt of solar panels would be sufficient. That's before finding a really nice spot in the shade. I have a portable solar panel at home, but not sure where I'll store it in the camper. If Santa could oblige with a 24v hydrogen generator that would be the answer.

The VictronConnect bluetooth app works brilliantly. I switch on the inverter and hot water system before driving off and can monitor how it's going from my phone. If I think it's going to impact the batteries too much I switch the inverter off from the phone. The Victron solar controller and 712 gauge also show up on the app. Very handy.

Hats off to FGS for doing a very good job and for the quality finish.

Attachments

• IMG_2961.JPG
    IMG_2961.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 135
  • IMG_2965.JPG
    IMG_2965.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 134
  • IMG_2976.JPG
    IMG_2976.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 120
  • IMG_2980.JPG
    IMG_2980.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 121
  • IMG_2981.JPG
    IMG_2981.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 117
  • IMG_2987.JPG
    IMG_2987.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 119
  • IMG_2988.JPG
    IMG_2988.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 103

CragMog

Hot water is via an Elgena 10l system. The Eberspacher D4 blows hot air through the water cylinder plus there is a 240v element. I was interested to see whether I could use excess solar or excess alternator power while driving to heat water. Before setting off I switch on the Elgena element, but keep the Victron Multiplus inverter switched off. Once I've been travelling for say half an hour I switch on the inverter from the VictronConnect app on my phone. The app shows the power draw and I can see when the 500w element switches off. It takes about an hour to heat the water. That works really well.

While parked up in good sunlight I wait for the batteries to be above 90% and then switch on the element. It takes about 5% of my 150AH (at 24v) batteries to heat the water. Waiting for the battery charge level to be higher means the Victron solar controller limits the power fed to the batteries (float level) so it makes sense to switch the element on while the batteries are in bulk charge mode.

I'm guessing that during winter I won't have enough solar, but then running the Eberspacher to heat the camper should achieve the same outcome. We did test the Eberspacher by setting it to it's max of 32°C (90f), but with an ambient temperature of 29°C (84f) the heat in the cabin was unbearable so didn't run it for long.

Water starts off being quite hot and stays warm enough to shower for at least 30 hours. The Elgena is insulated and it's inside and insulated locker.

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
Hot water is via an Elgena 10l system. The Eberspacher D4 blows hot air through the water cylinder plus there is a 240v element. I was interested to see whether I could use excess solar or excess alternator power while driving to heat water. Before setting off I switch on the Elgena element, but keep the Victron Multiplus inverter switched off. Once I've been travelling for say half an hour I switch on the inverter from the VictronConnect app on my phone. The app shows the power draw and I can see when the 500w element switches off. It takes about an hour to heat the water. That works really well.

While parked up in good sunlight I wait for the batteries to be above 90% and then switch on the element. It takes about 5% of my 150AH (at 24v) batteries to heat the water. Waiting for the battery charge level to be higher means the Victron solar controller limits the power fed to the batteries (float level) so it makes sense to switch the element on while the batteries are in bulk charge mode.

I'm guessing that during winter I won't have enough solar, but then running the Eberspacher to heat the camper should achieve the same outcome. We did test the Eberspacher by setting it to it's max of 32°C (90f), but with an ambient temperature of 29°C (84f) the heat in the cabin was unbearable so didn't run it for long.

Water starts off being quite hot and stays warm enough to shower for at least 30 hours. The Elgena is insulated and it's inside and insulated locker.

The Elgena is a sweet system. We sell tons of them. The 12v version should only take roughly 30 minutes to heat the water. How long does it stay warm? What’s your experience?

CragMog

Victorian - The Elgena with air heated water doesn't have the 24v (my truck is 24v) element option. How long it actually takes mine isn't accurate. I flick on the VictronConnect app and if its still drawing the 490w I ignore it. Once it shows zero I switch off the inverter via the app.
Joe917 - Elgena and SureCal, amongst others, both sell calorifiers that could be hooked into the engine coolant system. I'm very nervous about disturbing the coolant system so chose this option. It is more of an experiment on how effective solar to power to hot water is here in Oz. One thing we have lots of is sunshine. If you need a diesel heater to heat the engine block then using a coolant arrangement that flows both ways would be ideal. Once again........there's all of this sunshine so at worst you wait until midday to start the truck.

nathane

What are the drawer latches you used? They look good. I'm struggling to find really nice, well engineered latches.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle