UJOR Build Thread

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
So a rig with open diffs is really a 2x2, or a 1x1. :)

Another rig arrived last night, from NJ. It's a fresh build that needs some fine tuning. He regrets not sending it here in the 1st place, but we all make mistakes :D

420279_371849272834307_170935869592316_1386842_103518550_n.jpg

And we started tearing down H3Van today. I only planned on pulling the bumper/accy's, but when the brake line broke & left a nice puddle on the ground for us to clean up after lunch I decided to go ahead & rip the front end out. Looks like we're ahead of schedule now!

423938_372022826150285_170935869592316_1387419_841292611_n.jpg

Next step is a LOT of plasma cutting

brettf

Adventurer
Fair enough, but I was thinking in order to make room for a ************ UJOR badge :)

BTW - got the replacement kit in the mail Chris - thanks.

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
The worst hack jobs I come across have been modified Q vans. Some scary stuff. This van started life as a Quigley, and someone decided to lift it. I don't know the exact history, but nobody has been able to get it right. This is usually the 1st sign of what we're dealing with... the stacked blocks!

421084_372506219435279_170935869592316_1388818_1339725838_n.jpg

One of these days I'll put together a gallery of the scary pics i have!

Not sure of the exact #, but I've had at least 5-7 vans over the years that swapped the Q suspension to mine. Some just wanted more lift, some had epic DW problems that couldn't be cured. All of them are better now, no issues.

scoutkid

Van Builder
The worst hack jobs I come across have been modified Q vans. Some scary stuff. This van started life as a Quigley, and someone decided to lift it. I don't know the exact history, but nobody has been able to get it right. This is usually the 1st sign of what we're dealing with... the stacked blocks!

View attachment 89343

Not sure of the exact #, but I've had at least 5-7 vans over the years that swapped the Q suspension to mine. Some just wanted more lift, some had epic DW problems that couldn't be cured. All of them are better now, no issues.

Thank the lord for Ujoint - it keeps EVERYONE on the road safer when you fix um!

ben2go

Adventurer

View attachment 89343

That will def make for some ****ty steering control on the highway.

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
So...... Here is the 1st peek at the V4 rendering!!!!! It's been killing me not to share this, but I can't wait any longer. As you know, I've been building V4 for a few months, and I've teamed up with Marc @ XPCamper to start building turn key rigs. I feel this is the most versatile ExPo platform I can come up with. A flat bed 4x4 van with a bad *** camper! If you're not familiar with the XP camper, check them out. www.xpcamper.com

This rendering is pretty accurate. V4 will have a 6" lift on 37/12.50/17 tires, with a BUNCH of goodies to make x-country trips a breeze on & off road. How about almost 90 gallons of fuel capacity? The XP is so efficient, you can stay off the grid as long as you like (not that I have the time to do this!) but we can dream right?

There's plenty more to come, so I'll update as things unravel. I created a page on my site just for V4 http://www.ujointoffroad.com/ujorv4.html and I have more rendering shots soon. Let me know what you think!

418157_372598839426017_170935869592316_1389111_915096562_n.jpg

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
Holy crap that's flippin' awesome! The only page I view in the van section... and it never fails to disappoint, amaze, etc.

Outstanding concept Chris.

bknudtsen

Expedition Leader

View attachment 89343

Is that an airbag bracket kit bolted to the frame and the top of the leaf springs that is then bolted on top of stacked blocks that are bolted to the axle? Must ride nice!

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Holy crap that's flippin' awesome! The only page I view in the van section... and it never fails to disappoint, amaze, etc.

Outstanding concept Chris.

Thanks! Just trying to do things that I'd like to see.

This thread is like AM/PM: "TOO MUCH GOOD STUFF!"

Is that possible?!?!? :)

Is that an airbag bracket kit bolted to the frame and the top of the leaf springs that is then bolted on top of stacked blocks that are bolted to the axle? Must ride nice!

Yes yes yes yes

Will you be able to enter the camper from the cab?

No, this is the only negative that Marc & I can think of. This rig won't have it, but we've talked about it for the future.

DEFENDERBEAM

strategic command
a pass-thru is a very crucial item to have in a build like this.

IMO.

Assuming the rear box is planned to more or less stay on the rig.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle