UJOR Build Thread

patoz

Expedition Leader
Chris,

I have a 2004 F250 4x4 PU with the automatic transmission, and the Electronic Shift On The Fly (ESOF) 4x4 system. So I'm curious, when you get the rebuilt truck front axles to use with your kits, do some of these axles have this system installed on them? If so, do you install it also if the customer wants it, or do you replace the automatic hubs with the manual ones?

Personally, I like having automatic hubs (mud), but using electric over vacuum switches to engage the hubs and shift the transfer case is pure crap. If I remember correctly, my entire 4WD System can be disabled with the loss of one 10 Amp fuse labeled 'Body security module/4x4 module'.

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Chris,

I have a 2004 F250 4x4 PU with the automatic transmission, and the Electronic Shift On The Fly (ESOF) 4x4 system. So I'm curious, when you get the rebuilt truck front axles to use with your kits, do some of these axles have this system installed on them? If so, do you install it also if the customer wants it, or do you replace the automatic hubs with the manual ones?

Personally, I like having automatic hubs (mud), but using electric over vacuum switches to engage the hubs and shift the transfer case is pure crap. If I remember correctly, my entire 4WD System can be disabled with the loss of one 10 Amp fuse labeled 'Body security module/4x4 module'.

We build all of our axles in house and don't use auto hubs or t-cases. Never have never will!

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Day1 on CABigfoot! Tomorrow is booty day

28698781_1860347773984442_4627760495410734583_o.jpg

patoz

Expedition Leader
We build all of our axles in house and don't use auto hubs or t-cases. Never have never will!

Good to hear!

So, are you saying you convert the T-cases to manual from automatic, or you only use the ones that were manual to start with? I'm wondering how hard it would to be to convert mine, if that is possible. Obviously, I would have to add the lever and cut a hole in the floorboard for it, but can I just remove the vacuum actuator and it's linkage and replace it with the lever? Are there other things that would be affected or need to be changed also? Not asking for a complete tutorial here, just trying to get an idea to see if it would be worth it for a 2004 truck.

I have the option of 'Auto' or 'Lock' on my my hubs when they are working correctly, which they aren't right now. I have always liked having a gearshift on the T-case, so you can feel when it goes in or out of gear, and used to ride around off-road with my hand on the knob just so I could 'feel' it.

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Good to hear!

So, are you saying you convert the T-cases to manual from automatic, or you only use the ones that were manual to start with? I'm wondering how hard it would to be to convert mine, if that is possible. Obviously, I would have to add the lever and cut a hole in the floorboard for it, but can I just remove the vacuum actuator and it's linkage and replace it with the lever? Are there other things that would be affected or need to be changed also? Not asking for a complete tutorial here, just trying to get an idea to see if it would be worth it for a 2004 truck.

I have the option of 'Auto' or 'Lock' on my my hubs when they are working correctly, which they aren't right now. I have always liked having a gearshift on the T-case, so you can feel when it goes in or out of gear, and used to ride around off-road with my hand on the knob just so I could 'feel' it.

Our NV271s get built and spec'd to our needs, I've never converted a truck from auto to manual so I can't say what needs to be done exactly.

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Paint matched the flares to the rocker trim, off to alignment then a few little things to wrap up this beauty.

29216821_1862469317105621_3724647976469011355_n.jpg

Family-van

Maybe this has been asked already but I haven't found it. I have done my U-joint conversion. I love it. It handles awesome. No regrets. Except.... Well maybe just a question. I chose to go the cheaper route and put an overload spring in the rear rather than new leaf springs. Yeah I know I should have went with Chris's Custom leaf springs or Progressive Springs or put a set of airbags on.

My question is this if I took out the overload spring and went with the higher spacer block 4" on the rear axle what would that do to the overall life of the Driveline? It is kind of rough for the family. Just trying to maximize the dollars until I can afford to put airbags on.

As a side note even my wife loves the van. She was pretty skeptical. But it handles great. Even in the Idaho wind.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman