UJOR Build Thread

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Chris,
I've just spent the last 5-6 hours reading through this entire thread. Your dedication to your craft and to your customers is amazing. I'm just starting to plan my "dream machine" but I already know I'm not going anywhere else to get anything I need, from parts to advise and information, you have been the most constant, courteous, and professional businessman I've ever heard about. I look forward to working with you when time, funds, and opportunity provide me the ability to do so.
Travis

Thanks very much! And thanks for reading the whole thread, serious dedication! Please let me know when we can help you out. Thanks

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Snow! Love it, having a lot of fun but work has not stopped. We torn down the 2014 Steel Blue van yesterday, triple man attack!

61376_730845740267990_1698169400_n.jpg

Stopped on my way home for a photo op @ the Blue Ridge Parkway. this is when it really started to come down. 4-5" by the time we went out later.

71467_730901253595772_1033160632_n.jpg

Roads were a mess but traction was good in the fresh powder! We headed out to the only place we knew would be open, The Grove Park Inn. Took V5 and Justin met us in town with MegAmbo.

1620772_730990110253553_731540760_n.jpg

cjken

Explorer
Nice. It's funny. Whenever I see under lighting on Camaros and Mustangs I think it is so lame, but it's awesome on that Ambo!!
We got about a foot of new snow on LI right now.

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
New build is underway! Another 2014 E350 V10 that is getting the WORKS. Stage 2 D60 w/RSC, dual front shocks, OBA, rear skid w/Deka Battery & underfloor storage, fuel tank, Aluminess F&R, winch, Rigids, everything.

923454_731993680153196_1076136759_n.jpg

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Nice. It's funny. Whenever I see under lighting on Camaros and Mustangs I think it is so lame, but it's awesome on that Ambo!!
We got about a foot of new snow on LI right now.

Yes, when there's some height it looks cool!

ZDM

I keep seeing ford vans all over the place now! Damn you Chris, I have to wait to get my property and Quonset house set up before I can get one!!!

QCAuto

Observer
i love them too but may have to resort to home built but serious nice hardware!! i have found a ZF and 97 Dana 60 already, the 99-04 are scarce up here, thinking of superduty for the spring brackets and superduty lift springs, first thoygh the 5 spd convert with t case, ive wanted a 4x4 van since i was a kid. im 42 now and can make my own

Last edited:

Dances with Wolves

aka jk240sx
Great Read!

I read whole thread in a couple of days worth of free time. I currently own a '05 Nissan Titan 4X4 with Offroad & Big tow pkg. My goal was to build a camping rig for excursions downsouth to Moab, canyon lands, Page, AZ. I was going to slowly add to this platform with good parts and when cash allowed, switch everything over to a newer Titan. I bought the truck cash and all parts the same. I have been looking for a used topper. That's kinda when it hit me. I see all kinds of 4X4 vans up here in NE Utah, mainly rigs to carry rafts for green river expos. I was at my local mtb shop, altitude cycles in Vernal UT parked next to a 4x4 E series window van with a 4" lift and the wheels in my head started spinning. "I could build a killer gasser van forwhat this truck has/is/gonna cost". So there you have it.

I grew up in Tampa area of Florida. My best friend Ray worked for UL and his first new vehicle was a '78 E150 black stripper van. (for you kids out there, this was THE era for party vans). I was a carpenter then and we outfitted the van with 4 captains chairs, a bed(most importante) and a killer stereo. We travelled all over in this thing for concerts, road trips (Klingmans Dome). I digress.

I want a gasser (v-10), windows, and shortest wheel base possible (would love to fit an 8' sheet behind second row) and 4" lift. Given that, what years should I be looking at?
My goal is to have a 5 passenger van (4 if I do the Sienna rear seats) and plenty of room behind the second row. This will be a DD.

Thanks! Chris, you do amazing work.

Jerry

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
I keep seeing ford vans all over the place now! Damn you Chris, I have to wait to get my property and Quonset house set up before I can get one!!!

Just doing my job! :D

i love them too but may have to resort to home built but serious nice hardware!! i have found a ZF and 97 Dana 60 already, the 99-04 are scarce up here, thinking of superduty for the spring brackets and superduty lift springs, first thoygh the 5 spd convert with t case, ive wanted a 4x4 van since i was a kid. im 42 now and can make my own

You'll have to fab spring brackets, the 99-04 hangers won't work since the 97 axle has a 36.5" spring pad width and then you have the shackle placement to deal with.... Better off with a 99-04 and our kit, unless you like the pain! :)

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
I read whole thread in a couple of days worth of free time. I currently own a '05 Nissan Titan 4X4 with Offroad & Big tow pkg. My goal was to build a camping rig for excursions downsouth to Moab, canyon lands, Page, AZ. I was going to slowly add to this platform with good parts and when cash allowed, switch everything over to a newer Titan. I bought the truck cash and all parts the same. I have been looking for a used topper. That's kinda when it hit me. I see all kinds of 4X4 vans up here in NE Utah, mainly rigs to carry rafts for green river expos. I was at my local mtb shop, altitude cycles in Vernal UT parked next to a 4x4 E series window van with a 4" lift and the wheels in my head started spinning. "I could build a killer gasser van forwhat this truck has/is/gonna cost". So there you have it.

I grew up in Tampa area of Florida. My best friend Ray worked for UL and his first new vehicle was a '78 E150 black stripper van. (for you kids out there, this was THE era for party vans). I was a carpenter then and we outfitted the van with 4 captains chairs, a bed(most importante) and a killer stereo. We travelled all over in this thing for concerts, road trips (Klingmans Dome). I digress.

I want a gasser (v-10), windows, and shortest wheel base possible (would love to fit an 8' sheet behind second row) and 4" lift. Given that, what years should I be looking at?
My goal is to have a 5 passenger van (4 if I do the Sienna rear seats) and plenty of room behind the second row. This will be a DD.

Thanks! Chris, you do amazing work.

Jerry

Thanks Jerry, hope we can help! Sounds like you need a V10 extended body van. Later the better since they have the 5R110 transmission. Can be converted to 4wd while still in the van, great tranny.

ZDM

Chris,
What engine do you recommend if I'm looking to have the least amount of work(transmission/engine work) done to convert it to a 4x4 and still have a fairly capable urban assault vehicle / off road vehicle? Additionally, what is the "easiest" van yr/make/model to put a 4" lift on and same info for a 6" lift? Basically what vans would be "best" for a 4 inch lift and which for a 6 inch lift?

QCAuto

Observer
like i said i love the kit but i think the shipping to Canada might kill it. can anyone else chime in with what the finally tally was on spring and bracket shipping?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78