UJOR Build Thread

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Looks like it'll be a fun project. I have some 2 and 3 burner Campmate stoves at the shop. New. Interested in a couple?

YES!

And so it begins. :) can't wait for the new build

It will be slow, but I'm excited about it so I hope to get it done as quick as I can!

OOOOh I like, kegs are definitely mandatory too :) ill be watching to see how you keep them un-foamy

True, we're in a major beer town so I feel its my duty to have at least 2 on tap! We'll be running the beer thru some stainless tubing that is coiled thru an ice bin. Hope that works.

Congrats on the twins Chris, extend that to your wife as well. Better start selling some more conversion kits.;-)

Thanks very much and I will!

Oh, he will be. ;)

:thumbup:

You know it!

I like the bed on V4, will the Sherpa be permanently mounted or will it have the jack up legs like a camper?

mgmetalworks

Explorer
... we're in a major beer town so I feel its my duty to have at least 2 on tap! We'll be running the beer thru some stainless tubing that is coiled thru an ice bin. Hope that works.

I built this trailer a while back...
finished7.jpg
finished11.jpg
TV, generator, stereo, custom everything...it is kind of ridiculous but that's what the customer wanted. One of the biggest hassles in the 4 seasons of tailgating it has been through is the keg lines and the tap. Keeping the lines clean is a pain in an application that isn't constantly chilled. Unless you enjoy purging lines quite frequently and cleaning things very thoroughly on a regular basis, my advice would be to use cheap, replaceable tubing and make it very accessible. The idea is awesome... I love the idea of hard lines all nice and neat running through the ice. But you don't want skunky beer and you don't want hassles. I tried to do the purging and cleaning and routine maintenance but it sucked. Now I buy $6 worth of tubing, replace the line and clean the tap handle.
The other issue with kegs in a travelling application is agitation. Yield can be crummy if you don't let it settle for a bit. And let's face it, when it comes to beer, getting the most yield out of the keg is of the utmost importance. :)

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Thanks! Glad you've done it, we've been trying to figure out the best route. i plan to make the entire "keg" section slide out so we can easily swap the kegs and add ice. Clean it out too.

Thanks! Glad you've done it, we've been trying to figure out the best route. i plan to make the entire "keg" section slide out so we can easily swap the kegs and add ice. Clean it out too.

If you have not already, I would see if there are any local home brew clubs in your area and see if they do any showcases (October seems popular and is a ways out). You may get some good tap ideas. http://blog.chron.com/beertx/files/legacy/TBMTaps.JPG

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Found some time to work on the Sherpa, starting to come together!

1912264_747963375222893_1592148479_n.jpg

Kilby rig is wrapping up this week, putting the engine back together now and we just have a few small things to finish up. 6" on 35's

1979708_746953521990545_19718277_n.jpg

Littlehouse

Adventurer
Chris, i'm looking at your builds and it seems like most do the 4WD system, and then the interior. Wouldn't it be better to do interior first so you could tune the suspension?

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Chris, i'm looking at your builds and it seems like most do the 4WD system, and then the interior. Wouldn't it be better to do interior first so you could tune the suspension?

It goes both ways but yes, the majority do suspension 1st. It is better to do the suspension after the interior so we can dial in the spring rates with the actual weight.

mgmetalworks

Explorer
Hey Chris,

Compliments to you and the kit you've developed. I just drove a Ujoint van (RB with 6" lift on 35" BFGs) over 200 miles in one shot. It drove great and the ride was surprisingly plush for an empty van with that much lift.
One of the biggest complaints I have about my Quadvan is that it likes to wander and the steering is a little lazy...despite what Quadvan says, it really could use a tad more positive caster. Your kit is dialed-in in comparison. The steering was crisp and steady and handled the terrible highway ruts between Seattle and Portland with much less effort than my van.
Nice work man! :smiley_drive:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dgollman