UJOR Build Thread

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Yea I love it. I would have held out for a crew cab short bed. Here's a video

Absolutely gorgeous truck! :ylsmoke:

A bit tall for me, but IMO the extended cab + SAS is the best of both worlds.

That owner must be HAPPY :victory:

864x4rv

Observer
I too love that truck. Great job Chris! I have the Crew Cab short bed, SAS model and you are right, they are getting harder to find.

shenrie

^^^ hates cars
got a buddy with a 97 quad cab long box with the 7.3 thats getting ready to sell. hes owned it 16 years. is that a desirable rig to anyone?

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
AlphaVan updates have been slow, working on tedious stuff that takes a lot of time. Today we finished the intercooler piping, oil fill and the PS res, few other little odds & ends. Pressurize the fuel system tomorrow, send the pipes for a bead roll and powder, then we just need to finish the intake before she gets fired.

15541232_1375991442420080_2410367119222456969_n.jpg

Working on V4 here and there, front axle is obviously out and the steering box is leaving for ram assist. Rear upper link x-member is done, axle comes out for final welding tomorrow and then the bed goes back on! The bed has been modified too to make room for the coil overs and upper links (had to remove the aux fuel tank) so I hope to be ordering shocks before the holiday. I can't wait to romp on this thing.

15349594_1376060942413130_8724678465922327895_n.jpg

Last edited:

DzlToy

Explorer
A single quarter inch (1/4") Grade 5 bolt is rated at 3,533.8 pounds in single shear.

A single 3/8" Grade 5 bolt is rated at 7,951.7 pounds in single shear.

Eight 3/8" Grade 5 bolts can support over 63,000 pounds in single shear.

Not really impressive at all, just physics (Think Jaws of Life type of device cutting metal - VERY difficult to do)

A single quarter inch (1/4") Grade 5 bolt is rated at 3,533.8 pounds in single shear.

Not really impressive at all, just physics (Think Jaws of Life type of device cutting metal - VERY difficult to do)

Yeah, the shear strength is there, and I suppose it's physics and not IMPRESSIVE, but it's still pretty cool, and the "jack stands" are cool.

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
8 bolts holding the front of that rig up in single shear is impressive.

i mean, sure, its static, but its still cool.

Yea still doesn't seem "right" to me! We had Alpha on those stands for a while, they held up find but if anyone is under V4 I like a few jack stands under it for some extra insurance.

Thats a lot, more than I thought. These are 1/2" grade 8.

OBS is sweet Chris!

Thanks! It turned out pretty nice, drives great too.

DzlToy

Explorer
ujoint said:
Thats a lot, more than I thought. These are 1/2" grade 8.

Those hold 17,670 pounds each, so one bolt ought to do it :D

Eight will hold 141,360 pounds, so you are good for a van with a bit of a safety factour

:beer:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78