Ultimate Expedition Compact Camera Discussion

adriatikfan

Observer
Despite some opposition I just bought the Leica D-Lux 3 :wings:

found it for the same used price as a Lumix LX3. I dont think I will miss the lower 1 stop or slightly wider angle, I think the extra telephoto may come in handy.

waiting for delivery now. Hopefully get it before next weekends back country trip to the Lake District :smiley_drive:

G

Do you mind me asking where you got it from as I'm also potentially in the market for a d Lux 3.

Best Wishes
David

Mlachica

TheRAMadaINN on Instagram
So, I finally made a decision - and bought the GF2 LUMIX for my adventure moto and B camera.
I just pulled it out of the box last night, so no sample images, but I will try to post some up soon.

So any thoughts yet? I've been eyeing this camera for a while as an alternative to the 40d/24-70 2.8 combo...

I've got a trip to Africa coming up really soon and need a reason to buy or not to buy!

ywen

Explorer
G-series is an advanced p&s.. it's not more than that... If that satisfies your needs, it's a great camera for you.

ywen

Explorer
You know, that's an amazingly condescending thing to say. What's your point?

I think you've mis-read my comment. No offense was meant

Without specifying your criteria for a camera, I can not comment on the strengths and weakness of said camera in the context of what you need out of it. The only thing I can say is the class of the camera it belongs to, which can hint at its capabilities.

ThomD

Explorer
I think you've mis-read my comment. No offense was meant

Without specifying your criteria for a camera, I can not comment on the strengths and weakness of said camera in the context of what you need out of it. The only thing I can say is the class of the camera it belongs to, which can hint at its capabilities.

My apologies. I misread the post you were responding to, so your remark seemed out of line. Your answer was fair - and I agree with you about only being able to offer limited feedback without about what somebody wants.

Lost Canadian

Expedition Leader
New toy!

i-vHZ23KX-S.jpg
i-FTtbFPj-S.jpg

Have had literally, only about 15 minutes with the camera but I already have a gut feeling this is the best point and shoot/ small package camera I've ever owned. I'll post more impressions soon. In the mean time here are the first, 2 minutes playing, out of camera jpgs I snapped this morning in my backyard before heading off to work.

i-Bq6757D-XL.jpg

i-b4FRVHC-XL.jpg

i-qCM2HvK-XL.jpg

i-5QHWpFg-XL.jpg

i-Qddvr2x-XL.jpg

i-WLxjBQr-XL.jpg

Radiation

i-vHZ23KX-S.jpg
i-FTtbFPj-S.jpg

Have had literally, only about 15 minutes with the camera but I already have a gut feeling this is the best point and shoot/ small package camera I've ever owned. I'll post more impressions soon. In the mean time here are the first, 2 minutes playing, out of camera jpgs I snapped this morning in my backyard before heading off to work.

i-Bq6757D-XL.jpg

i-b4FRVHC-XL.jpg

i-qCM2HvK-XL.jpg

i-5QHWpFg-XL.jpg

i-Qddvr2x-XL.jpg

i-WLxjBQr-XL.jpg

What is the make, model, and price of that camera canadian?

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

Lost Canadian

Expedition Leader
Initial Impressions

I was able to spend the morning playing a little more with the X10 and have formed a few early opinions. First, the X10 is beautifully crafted, has a very tight all metal construction, and the manual zoom lens is both wonderfully smooth and sharp, especially in the 28-85mm range. Without a doubt the X10 is the most well put together and enjoyable point and shoot I've ever held or used. The ergonomics are very nice and the camera feels comfortable in hand, all the buttons are placed right where they should be making for easy on the fly adjustments.

i-qJzDLp8-XL.jpg

i-9hmtCzZ-XL.jpg

i-t584FLd-XL.jpg

i-3zJz23S-XL.jpg

The optical viewfinder is also quite nice, and is 1000 times better than anything else I've seen on the market in the same category. It's large and bright, and zooms with the lens, but unfortunately there is no information displayed in the viewfinder and at the wide end you can see the lens barrel in the bottom right corner. While shooting with the camera earlier today I did find myself using the LCD most of the time, but the viewfinder was nice to have when I had the sun at my back and the LCD screen became hard to see. The viewfinder is good for everything but macro work. Once you get into macro or supermacro, parrallax becomes too great and composing with the viewfinder is useless.

The autofocus is quick and responsive, although I did find that it had trouble nailing focus in macro mode when faced with a red flower, strange I thought. AF was fine in macro in all other situations however.

The menus are OK but not great, you can find what you're looking for but things aren't organized as well as they could be. Nikon and Canon menus are much more logical and intuitive IMO.

One big disappointment for me is that the EXR modes, Fuji's awesome pixel binning sensor technology, can only be utilized in an automatic mode and the output can only be record as jpgs. I love the fact that the camera can do pixel binning to give you very clean 6 megapixel images, but all auto and no RAW in EXR = Boo! The EXR modes, especially the low light mode, does work quite well though, and it's something I will use from time to time, especially in low light situations where a nice clean image is more important to me than overall resolution.

To give you an idea, here is a shot taken at ISO 1250 utilizing the EXR SN, high ISO signal noise mode.
i-vX3xf7j-L.jpg

cropped look

i-STfx7SD-XL.jpg

That's pretty good IMO for a point and shoot. It's certainly a lot better than what my Canon S90 can do at that ISO range.

I'm reserving judgement on overall IQ until I can process some RAW files. Adobe hasn't added the X10 to the Lightroom mix yet, and the bundled software from Fuji is a joke. I may actually shoot jpg a lot with this camera anyway, as the results I saw today are more than adequate for how I intend to use this camera. The colours out of camera are lovely.

Speaking of colours, Fuji uses colour profiles that attempt to replicate some of their famous film stocks. The standard setting is Provia, the soft neutral setting is Astia, and the vibrant setting is Velvia. There are also 4 black and white settings.

A look at the colour profiles.

Provia(Standard)
i-NKbPPbH-M.jpg

Astia (Neutral/Soft)
i-2Z4PjM5-M.jpg

Velvia (Vibrant)
i-x2DBpqw-M.jpg

I like the colours of the Provia and Astia profiles best, Velvia is just too much IMO.

Here are a few more out of camera samples, all shot on Astia.
i-2366W6c-XL.jpg

i-JTmBVqJ-XL.jpg

i-tFG39Rf-XL.jpg

i-f7VqgfJ-XL.jpg

i-8d6LHFL-XL.jpg

Oh, and if you're curious about the lens, it's simply awesome. Sharp from corner to corner at all apertures, and the bright F2 - 2.8 is a big benefit in a camera like this.

Last edited:

john101477

Photographer in the Wild
Sweet camera Trevor
I have been wanting to check out the x100 with the APS-c sensor. looks like a heck of a camera to me. but also comes with a pricetag...

HumphreyBear

Adventurer
The colours out of camera are lovely.

Oh, and if you're curious about the lens, it's simply awesome. Sharp from corner to corner at all apertures, and the bright F2 - 2.8 is a big benefit in a camera like this.

Nice. Thanks for posting the results of your new purchase.
A couple of years ago during a 12 month backpacking trip around South America I had a laptop with a DVD burner, so every other backpacker with a camera wanted to be my friend (so I'd burn copies of their photos for them). My ulterior motive was that I got to see about 15-20 different types of P&S cameras to compare them and the Fuji cameras were always superb with a lovely colour tone and exposure.
I'm coming up to the point of needing to replace my (Sony) P&S and the X10 looks like it will be the new stablemate to my Canon SLRs (digital and film - I'm still loving my 1V-HS).
Cheers,
Humphrey

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78