Undercoating Question

Mcarpenito89

Adventurer
Does anybody prefer a method of undercoating ?

I don't know what rust protection most people use weather it's LineX or Por15 ect, but I offer take my van on the beach to the salt ect ..... I'd like to use some preventative on the frame ect.

Let me know if you have any recommendations

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wiley

Adventurer
Zero experience, but I will be using POR-15 in the next few months on my van, so will watch where this goes.

Mcarpenito89

Adventurer
I've used this inside all the rockers and body panels. It was recommended by a friend at a body shop. It has a 360 degree sprayer which helps.

0affadca2552996b74f677c37dfd4a68.jpg

Joe917

Explorer
In the Great White North we use creeping oil/wax inhibitors such as Krown. they work but require yearly re-application.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Undercoat has a tendency to crack and allow rust to spread underneath... especially if it's applied too thick. I've had better results with a multiple coats of paint. I've had to touch it up over the last 25 years... but the frame is still in good shape.

Mcarpenito89

Adventurer
Fluid film is good too to spray in all the panels.

I was looking for something for the undercarriage/ frame. Maybe I'll give the paint a try. I have no rust on my van I land in trying to keep it that way.

derjack

Adventurer
LineX or any truck bed coat is a bad idea, because moisture can easy find it's way beneath the coat and rust and rust...

POR 15 it's very good but it needs a very good and accurate procedure! Otherwise it will not work correctly!
Some wax based stuff is better and easier to manage.

If there is already rust, like on all US trucks I have seen, “bratho“ is the better choice.

Check out this:
http://www.korrosionsschutz-depot.de
Ist's German but there translaters. It can tell you ALL you need to know. You don't need any other source after that!

opt overland

Observer
Another vote for fluid film, a wax type coating will do best to wick moisture. If you wanted to get really jiggy with it you can thoroughly clean the area remove any surface rust, apply a liberal coating of farm/tractor paint. Allow that to cure, then apply undercoating and fluid film on top of that. But if it's not a full on restoration fluid film will do the trick. You can get creative with flexy extensions to get hard to reach areas.

I do like to address any scuffs and abrasion that have occurred to the under section as soon as I can. A simple clean, sand, and farm paint.

Last edited:

wjeeper

By far the best protection method I have seen is moving to the southwest!:sombrero:

With my past vehicles (I still need to do my van) I brushed on rustoleum and touched it up every year.
68a78812-d448-4289-86f0-08a447b370b0_1000.jpg

I preferred the gloss over the flat since the mud seemed to come off easier. Fluid film or Krown may be something I consider for the inside of the rail!

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
By far the best protection method I have seen is moving to the southwest!:sombrero:

With my past vehicles (I still need to do my van) I brushed on rustoleum and touched it up every year.
68a78812-d448-4289-86f0-08a447b370b0_1000.jpg

I preferred the gloss over the flat since the mud seemed to come off easier. Fluid film or Krown may be something I consider for the inside of the rail!

A gallon of gloss black Tremclad has been protecting my Fj40 frame for about 25 years now. Originally I sprayed about four coats on with an automotive gun. I've touched up a few spots every few years, but it's easy enough to brush it on when under there. I've been brushing it on the ambulance frame around the areas I've accessed... I use dollar store brushes so I can toss them when done/ruined. I've been knocking off anything loose and applying a few coats... it's been holding up well. I'd love to lift the body off, but that's not going to happen. Best I can hope for would be a hoist to get easier access under.

Last edited:

lanefj40

I'm another Fluid film fan. Costs me $120 for my Silverado. Live in NH with lots of salt on the road. This stuff works really well.
Respray every fall.

gh0ztkid21

Observer
i bought the fluid film kit. it includes the spray gun, a gallon of the fluid film, a spray can of the fluid film, a 360 spray wand and some other things. i apply once a year and have zero rust under all my vehicles. i live in nj where they salt heavily and also use that brine stuff on the roads. i also drive on the beaches here with my van and truck. wouldn't use anything else.

Mcarpenito89

Adventurer
i bought the fluid film kit. it includes the spray gun, a gallon of the fluid film, a spray can of the fluid film, a 360 spray wand and some other things. i apply once a year and have zero rust under all my vehicles. i live in nj where they salt heavily and also use that brine stuff on the roads. i also drive on the beaches here with my van and truck. wouldn't use anything else.

Do you apply on the frame and around all the parts ? I live in south jersey

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears