unimog as work truck/adventure rig

gomeskis

Hey everyone,
I'm a new member of the site. I've been looking for the base for an adventure rig for quite sometime. I haven't pulled the trigger on a vehicle thus far. Been weighing pros and cons. I've been looking at m1078, Fuso canter, Unimog, mercedes benz 1017. Just frothing over your builds. Kind of just keeping my eyes peeled for the right rig to come along for me at the right price. Ideally I'm thinking of building a flatbed on the rig with a three point mount system so I could use the vehicle for construction when I don't have the box mounted. Which seems like that kind of rules out the m1078 since it might be a bit overkill as a work truck hahaha. The plan hopefully would be to buy a used base vehicle, drive it around town for work for awhile so I can work out the kinks and get it running reliably and then eventually build the box. Then I want to slowly outfit from a rustic camping situation to a more comfortable experience. We're a married couple that are kid free for right now but the wife is definitely starting to put the pressure on! Trying to buy myself a few more years hahaha. Hence a doka cab would be pretty nice, even though it will sacrifice room for camperbox. I Found a unimog 1300l doka fire truck with the short double cab, not full size rear doors. From what I've read though it seems like its pretty easy to max out the payload with a camper on a short wheelbase like that. I live in the states currently but am originally from Canada so we will be doing camping roadtrips from Idaho up to Canada to visit the fam. Trying to get on some rad backroads all the way up. Then will be doing camping roadtrips around Idaho, Montana, and possibly down to the Baja. I don't foresee needing quite as much water and fuel as some of you guys that are extremely remote for weeks at a time, but I do enjoy bringing the sports gear which can add up weight quick (mountain bikes, kite boarding gear, snowboards etc...). I know there are lots of mods you guys do to the engine and axles of these unimogs to make them more highway worthy that cost alot of $$$$. As far as this rig goes I attached a photo of pretty much the exact same truck I saw. They want around 10000 dollars for it and it has 25000 miles. It's in the states already imported with a title. From what I've read from you guys, it seems like the portal axles are a bit of the Achilles' heel of the unimog and can be some really expensive parts to fix. Would love to hear your guys opinion of this as a base for a camper or if I'm out to lunch hahaha. I would also like to be towing my snowmobile and camping sometimes which this engine probably doesn't have much power for that and I'm sure would eventually need to be modded.

Is that wheelbase and size a dealbreaker for a camper?

What size camperbox and weight do you think this truck could handle?

Do these 1300l used as fire trucks by chance have a beefier chassis then a regular 1300l doka?

If its a firetruck do they sometimes come with fast axles and a turbo?

How do you tell the difference between a 1300l and a 1350l?

Is there a way to lighten up the chassis to increase payload?

What do you think of this rig for a work truck?

What's the towing capacity?

How much are working gears crucial for off-roading with a camper?

Does the chassis on these fire trucks already have a three point mounting system for chassis flex?

Sorry for the essay with run on sentences hopefully its semi legible hahaha.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks a lot,
Guillaume

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-04-04 at 9.14.37 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-04-04 at 9.14.37 PM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 35
  • Screen Shot 2023-04-04 at 9.13.24 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-04-04 at 9.13.24 PM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 35

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
Just one comment - an orphan Unimog in North America, especially in the west with vast distances, is slow ("fast" axles mean around 55 MPH), noisy, and expensive. Plan on doing a lot of your own wrenching and you will have to pay a lot, and wait a lot, for parts.

Other than that, they do what they claim. :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

Iain_U1250

Explorer
Hey everyone,
I'm a new member of the site. I've been looking for the base for an adventure rig for quite sometime. I haven't pulled the trigger on a vehicle thus far. Been weighing pros and cons. I've been looking at m1078, Fuso canter, Unimog, mercedes benz 1017. Just frothing over your builds. Kind of just keeping my eyes peeled for the right rig to come along for me at the right price. Ideally I'm thinking of building a flatbed on the rig with a three point mount system so I could use the vehicle for construction when I don't have the box mounted. Which seems like that kind of rules out the m1078 since it might be a bit overkill as a work truck hahaha. The plan hopefully would be to buy a used base vehicle, drive it around town for work for awhile so I can work out the kinks and get it running reliably and then eventually build the box. Then I want to slowly outfit from a rustic camping situation to a more comfortable experience. We're a married couple that are kid free for right now but the wife is definitely starting to put the pressure on! Trying to buy myself a few more years hahaha. Hence a doka cab would be pretty nice, even though it will sacrifice room for camperbox. I Found a unimog 1300l doka fire truck with the short double cab, not full size rear doors. From what I've read though it seems like its pretty easy to max out the payload with a camper on a short wheelbase like that. I live in the states currently but am originally from Canada so we will be doing camping roadtrips from Idaho up to Canada to visit the fam. Trying to get on some rad backroads all the way up. Then will be doing camping roadtrips around Idaho, Montana, and possibly down to the Baja. I don't foresee needing quite as much water and fuel as some of you guys that are extremely remote for weeks at a time, but I do enjoy bringing the sports gear which can add up weight quick (mountain bikes, kite boarding gear, snowboards etc...). I know there are lots of mods you guys do to the engine and axles of these unimogs to make them more highway worthy that cost alot of $$$$. As far as this rig goes I attached a photo of pretty much the exact same truck I saw. They want around 10000 dollars for it and it has 25000 miles. It's in the states already imported with a title. From what I've read from you guys, it seems like the portal axles are a bit of the Achilles' heel of the unimog and can be some really expensive parts to fix. Would love to hear your guys opinion of this as a base for a camper or if I'm out to lunch hahaha. I would also like to be towing my snowmobile and camping sometimes which this engine probably doesn't have much power for that and I'm sure would eventually need to be modded.

Is that wheelbase and size a dealbreaker for a camper? - Doka makes the camper a bit small.

What size camperbox and weight do you think this truck could handle? - GVM would be 7500kg, so not much. Having a tray and then a whole camper on top of the tray makes it weigh more.

Do these 1300l used as fire trucks by chance have a beefier chassis then a regular 1300l doka? - No, all of them are the same

If its a firetruck do they sometimes come with fast axles and a turbo? - Fast axles maybe, Turbo - maybe, but easy to see : )

How do you tell the difference between a 1300l and a 1350l? - All depends, could have an OM366A in it or just and extended rear section of the chassis

Is there a way to lighten up the chassis to increase payload? - can't do anything to the chassis

What do you think of this rig for a work truck? - Maybe,depends on what you want to carry

What's the towing capacity? Not sure what US regulations are, but the tow point is a bit high for normal towing, but great for proper trailers with a pintle hitches..

How much are working gears crucial for off-roading with a camper? - I would say so, have to be able to go slow especially with fast axles, and bigger tyres so you can go a bit faster.

Does the chassis on these fire trucks already have a three point mounting system for chassis flex? It should have.

Sorry for the essay with run on sentences hopefully its semi legible hahaha.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks a lot,
Guillaume

gomeskis

hey thanks for the replies
diplostrat: yeah totally definetly one of the cons ive been weighing. seems like parts are expensive and would probably want to be bringing spare parts on road trips. dont mind getting my hands dirty but have to be realistic in that im not a professional diesel mechanic.

Ian U 1250: thanks for anwsering my questions been checking out your build really like it! As far as your camperbox what are the dimensions and weight when your fully laden if you dont mind me asking. youve probably anwsered this before.

mogs and dogs: Yeah would have too. unfortunately cant really justify having a rig thats only for adventuring gotta be multipurpose. Which maybe is unrealistic with this kind of mog. what are your thoughts? do you think it would make a good work truck or would it be a nuisance?

RoamIt

Unimogs are awesome for hardcore off-road, suck on the highway without lots of mods, and even then, they still suck on the highway.

I went the firetruck route, fine for anything short of hardcore, as they have 4x4/lockers. I do have 'somewhat' faster axles and a turbo. But even with bigger tires 60-65mph is as fast as I would take the beast and get probably 7-8mpg while I was at it.

But the real issue here is your use. Unless you are into very heavy construction, I can't imagine using it for a work truck. They are not pickups, mine weighs over 18,000lbs and 24' long as it sits.

gomeskis

Roam it: yeah totally seems like thats the general consensus hahaha and those mods cost mucho dinero.
i was originally looking at the fuso but there so hard to find as a doka 4wd and super expensive.
Im mainly doing residential construction so would be hauling materials but yeah nothing a pickup really cant handle.
hence the dilemma as i cant really afford to have a decent pickup and a rig that just sits in the driveway until were going on a roadtrip.
did you go with mercedes benz 1017?
I think the truck in the picture maybe isnt quite as long as yours but probably doesnt drive that nice unless its loaded up.
Do you mainly only drive your rig when your going camping or roadtripping?

Iain_U1250

Explorer
hey thanks for the replies

Ian U 1250: thanks for anwsering my questions been checking out your build really like it! As far as your camperbox what are the dimensions and weight when your fully laden if you dont mind me asking. youve probably anwsered this before.
Fully loaded with fuel, food and water we weigh around 8 tons - which is the max GVM of our U1250. Box is 3.6m L x 2.2M W and 2m H. Inside it is 1.9 - 1.95m high. Ours is quite modified compared to most Unimogs, and we cruise at 100kph all day long. I have a speed alarm to stop me going over 100kph, as that is the legal limit for trucks here, but it will easily do 110kph or more if I let it. Fuel consumption is 20l/100kph on the highway, gets better when we slow down on the dirt roads.

If you don't plan on going proper off roading , deserts, beaches etc. a normal 4x4 truck will do - but then it wouldn't be a Unimog :)

Last edited:

RoamIt

My rig is a 1224 I imported from Germany. I'm still building it, but yea, it's only going to be for trips. Eventually, when I retire in a few years, I'll be living in it fulltime.

Unimogs are great, I'm not trying to talk you out of one. I just went through what you are about what to buy and the reality is I'm going to be on 'bad' roads far more often than 'offroad'. And Unimog's ultimate offroad ability is only going to be used 5% of time for world travel I'm planning.

MogsAndDogs

Capability aside, I think practicality would be what kills you. You need that work truck to work every day.

When the Unimog goes down (as any machine will) you will have no idea how long or expensive it will be to fix. There are no local shops to take it to or parts stores to buy from - unless you happen to live in Colorado near Rob Pickering or Jason Couch.

It could sit for weeks or months while you first figure out what you need, then where to get it, and then how to take out a second mortgage for the shipping costs.

Others can correct me if I am wrong but I believe you would have the same issue with any of the MB trucks in the USA. Basically they are all classic cars that weren’t ever sold here.

If you did go for it, I would think the NA U500 would probably be the way to go. It’s newer, easier to register and insure because it isn’t imported, freeway ready, and they are set up for work already - not putting out fires.

gomeskis

hey thanks for taking the time to anwser my questions. You guys all make really good points. think im gonna switch gears was getting lured in by that sweet looking fire truck for 10 grand hahaha. Damn its really hard finding the right chassis about as hard as finding the right lassie search continues. No worries roamit appreciate the honesty was just curious thats why i came on here to get some reality. Do you guys have any other suggestions as far as a base that i might of missed been looking at some isuzu cabovers but those might be hard to find parts as well not sure. Any sites that you guys use besides this one when your looking for platforms?

MogsAndDogs

Maybe a Mitsubishi Fuso? - not sure how those differ from the Isuzu.

Full size pickups with slide in campers seem to be all rage today. You definitely have a lot of options for both and lots of support in the US. You could also do a flatbed.

I guess you could look at surplus LMTV or HMMV if you want something a little spicier or a project. The LMTV is bigger than a Unimog with a larger payload (at least the one you were looking at) so you still have the size issue but maybe parts and support are easier because they were built in (or for) the US. I know registration is.

gomeskis

mogs and dogs: yeah totally been looking at some regular trucks as well flatbed sounds kinda nice to me too. Yeah i was looking at the m1078 for awhile there just so gargantuan to me. Its hard to find that right balance of being big enough to carry your stuff but small enough that you can still get offroad without feeling like your a beached whale hahaha. But i agree from what i read seemed like there was way more availability for parts for the lmtv.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online