Unimog (DeeMog and BeeMog) at highest altitude!!

DeeDee

Observer
hi everyone. please share your experience or knowledge on what is the highest point where Unimog has gone.... specially 421....

i have been through in northern Pakistan last week on my 421.129 and my friends 421.128 and we crossed 13000f above passes 4 times and highest of them all was Butogah top 14200f....

Travel log:

Team UNIMOG Punga in North 2010 – DeeMog & BeeMog via Babusar Pass-Sheosar Lake Deosai – Burzil Pass – Minimerg – Butogah Pass

July 15th – July 21st 2010
2 Unimogs carrying 12 Jays in 7 days had most thrilling and adventurous drive of the lifetime by passing through the 4 highest motorable passes of Pakistan (4000 Meters +) which are definitely falls in the Top 15 Motorable passes of the world, Top 3 are probably in Tibet & Ladakh. Another unique achievement of the Team Unimog was that DeeMog & BeeMog were the first mogs which have visited Shoesar lake Deosai (13600 feet), the 1st mog through Burzil pass (13500 feet), Butogah Pass (14200 feet) and I am not sure about Babusar Pass (13700 feet)

Each day we had 15Hrs of drive covering 1700KM in 7 days and quarter of that mileage was off-road in low revs pulling jays on the high altitude to breath light air J & descending on the sharp curves. We descended approximately 6000 feet from Burzil Pass to Minimerg in less than 10KMs, it was the trust on mog’s pulling power which kept us moving. From Minimerg onwards DeeMog only knew the way forward and there was no turning back till Islamabad J thanks to excellent turning circle of Unimog which proved enough on the sharpest of curves.

Track to Butogah was most adventurous, the valley above chilas with old gigantic maple trees on the road side was a pleasure to watch and the cold water was too good for refreshing up the jays. We started that day very late at 11:30am, SK & Asad Marwat from IJC gave us the directions, we reached Naran in the midnight and jays skipped 2 meals. Apart from thrill of off-road, while on our way up-hill to Butogah the trek was blocked by a enormous tree having atleast 2 times weight of our unimogs, which was toed and pulled by Unimog to clear the road for us & local Tractor walas carrying baraf from Butoagh to Chilass. Mog pulled that tree with an ease by displaying immense pulling power it is known for. Rainfall started when we reached Butogah summit and it continued on our drive till Naran, rain made the descend slippery and more technical and we were literally crawling on the descend and Jays were quietly enjoying the extremely cold rainy winds and on water cross (12:15am), after a 15min trek search by DeeDee, Fateh & Kashif, it went well for BeeMog but DeeMog was 200 yards back and it got deviated from the track, thanks to high air intake and it swim smoothly and followed BeeMog lights in the straight line J.

Team Unimog

1. Adeel Khalid aka DeeDee urf Tour Operator
2. Basharat Ullah Khan aka Basheera Side Slope
3. Kashif Qayyum Khan aka Fihsak
4. Fatah Ullah Khan aka Ustaad DIY
5. Nabeel Ahmed Zafar aka Sharmindaey Tabeer
6. Malik Muhammad Umer from Media Manager
7. Shehzada Umer Naseer aka Aa ub loat chalain
8. Atta Ur Rehman aka Freeman
9. Zarar bin Zubair Mian aka Time Keeper
10. Nasir Ahmed Khan aka Acha Larka
11. Mian Zia Ul Haq aka Sakoon.com
12. Farooq Malik aka Sleeping Beauty

Preparation:-
The chain email for K in North planning started much before the trip to decide when to go and where to go, how many KM would we be covering and what would be Unimog drive time for the same, we missed Guru Gee in the trip who was part of the planning team. Outcome of that email was a long list to prepare our mogs for North, few international forums helped us on the most critical things to do and rest was the local experience from mogging in ravi & trip to Neelam via Nurinar back in 2008. We distributed the tasks e.g. I built a Unimog toolkit which had everything we needed & DeeDee prepared a box of spare parts and each one of them was used, also a medical kit. Nabeel was taking care of food & grocery items, Janj assisted us in the tin packing of boneless chicken and aloo keema, Fatah assisted us in completing the pending jobs on Bee & Dee Mogs, hunting dala frame in the last week for DeeMog & Ustaad Pima did the magic by stitching the parachute for both the rides and we were ready to assemble on July 15th @ 0005hrs J

Attachments

• 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    181.2 KB · Views: 192
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    266.1 KB · Views: 197
  • 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    288.9 KB · Views: 187
Last edited:

dusseldorp

Congratulations, good to know that the older Unimogs with only 60 HP are capable to cross :smiley_drive:such highnesses without any problems. Hre is Gaggenau, we do have a lot of the 52 HP U421 versions, but they were mainly used for taking wood out of the forest. All the best to you all!

hi everyone. please share your experience or knowledge on what is the highest point where Unimog has gone.... specially 421....

i have been through in northern Pakistan last week on my 421.129 and my friends 421.128 and we crossed 13000f above passes 4 times and highest of them all was Butogah top 14100f....

rhodos

Observer
Hi DeeDee,

our highest was 4200m (around 14000ft) with our 417 Camper (OM352 normal aspirated, no turbo) - was during our 9 month trip in Mexico.

bye, Werner

DeeDee

Observer
clearing log blocking the trek with BeeMog 421.128

on our way to Botugah pass.....

Attachments

• 13.JPG
    13.JPG
    276.4 KB · Views: 58
  • 12.JPG
    12.JPG
    251.9 KB · Views: 54
  • 11.JPG
    11.JPG
    237.2 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:

DeeDee

Observer
the HP was indeed a question mark before leaving for such heights but believe me we had no problem or chocking in conquering these heights.... :victory:

we have some DIYs that i will share soon....

Congratulations, good to know that the older Unimogs with only 60 HP are capable to cross :smiley_drive:such highnesses without any problems. Hre is Gaggenau, we do have a lot of the 52 HP U421 versions, but they were mainly used for taking wood out of the forest. All the best to you all!

DeeDee

Observer
Hi rhodos,

thanks for sharing and OM352 non turbo is my love..... dont know if i could get em installed in my 421.129 or not.... i think not :(

guys please share the highest altitude Unimog been through.... or any word from history will also work...

Hi DeeDee,

our highest was 4200m (around 14000ft) with our 417 Camper (OM352 normal aspirated, no turbo) - was during our 9 month trip in Mexico.

bye, Werner

DeeDee

Observer
It took us to wait for whole night to get water flow at a passable level.....

Attachments

• 8.JPG
    8.JPG
    315.8 KB · Views: 215
  • 7.JPG
    7.JPG
    208.4 KB · Views: 215
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    405.5 KB · Views: 231

DeeDee

Observer
Last one and a half mile before Butogah was very very narrow and thrilling :smiley_drive:

Attachments

• 9.JPG
    9.JPG
    163.6 KB · Views: 194
  • 10.JPG
    10.JPG
    183.7 KB · Views: 206

haven

Expedition Leader
Welcome to ExPo, DeeDee! Thanks for sharing this amazing adventure.

I found a recent thread on the PakWheels forum that talks about the
region of Pakistan that you visited. The link to the discussion is
http://www.pakwheels.com/forums/road-trips-vacations/142073-babusar-chillas-road-trek-help-needed

The discussion includes two maps, which I copied below to help ExPo
members get an idea where this expedition took place. The first is a
Google Earth photo overlaid with the route to the passes added. In this
photo, north is to the left.

KaghanValleytoChillas.jpg

(On the map, KKH refers to the Karakoram Highway, the highest paved road that crosses
an international frontier. At least it used to. A massive landslide earlier this year blocked
the road at Karimabad in the Hunza Valley. The Boston.com web site has a good set
of photos of the disaster and its aftermath.
http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2010/06/landslide_lake_in_pakistan.html
DeeDee, can you tell us more about the plans to open KKH to vehicles again?)

The second is a map from Khyber.org. In this map, north is at the top. Batugah on the
map above is referred to as Botuka in the map below.

Mapkaghanvalley.jpg

DeeDee

Observer
Thanks haven

and thanks for your interest in northern Pakistan..... here is another link laying out the track of Butogah.... Butogah is going parallel to Babusar and both end in Chillas.... actually on our way up to Deosai we took Babusar Pass relatively easier track than Butogah and on our way back we took Butogah (the pure off road track, mostly rocky and narrow) and the view from top is unexplainable rather pictures may not tell the true beauty....

http://wikimapia.org/#lat=35.1689672&lon=73.9787579&z=14&l=44&m=b

haven.... KKH is meant to be open and just cant remain close, too many lives have been sacrifice to make this route.... its been planed to either make an alternate route to bypass the Attabad lake or comparative study on opening up the face of lake is also underway....

haven.... you having interest in crossing the silk route (KKH).... let me know will keep you posted...

....... haven can you guide me where am wrong on posting pictures..... why is only link to pictures is showing and not the picture in this thread.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior