Unimog demand

gator70

Sorry, misunderstanding. I have a deposit on the Unimog in Germany. And was curious about the asset value.

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Sorry @gator70 , can you get your money back?

Let's Americanize your question; Is this IN demand?

Certainly good trucks, but there are better choices for Overlanding in the States.

Deleted Member 183

Unimogs are "road tractors"! Building one into an "adventure camper rig" is ridiculous for about 98.5% of us "overlanders" out there (Charlie A. has the experience and means to be that 1.5%!). When it comes to understanding the "perfect" rig for your adventures... There are many "skins to that onion"!

Last edited:
I have a UGN camper: on a long wheelbase (3900mm) U500.
This appears to be on a short wheelbase (3350mm U400 or even shorter 3080mm U300) and offers less room inside and less stability for only slight increase in maneuverability.
I ordered my U500 new and rapidly discarded the idea of ordering the 3350mm and 17 years later am happy with the decision.
No way would I want a camper on that short of a chassis.

Last edited:
Let me be more specific: if you decrease wheelbase by 520mm, then taking overhang into account, habitat must be about 1000mm shorter. If 820mm shorter, then habitat 1.5-1.6m shorter.
A 3.2m habitat…might as well get a Landcruiser (HZJ or VZJ79) pickup with a camping rear and rooftop tent.

loonwheeler

Adventurer
There are many Unimog campers globally based on a 3250mm chassis, ours being one of them. This wheelbase works out to most habitats being ~3.7m long or thereabouts.

While maybe not ideal for long term global travel or a larger family, a smaller camper is perfect for the two of us and shorter getaways anywhere from a few days to a few weeks.

I guess it just depends on what you goals are and the kind of travel you want to do. Horses for courses as they say.

plh

Explorer
Speed limits on US highways preclude Mogs. If you stick to the way back roads - maybe. Can't imagine one of these at 80mph +

gator70

Sure a short on tray habitat is limiting. However, 3200mm can still be length one could build out something nice with a departure angle and garage.

loonwheeler

Adventurer
Speed limits on US highways preclude Mogs. If you stick to the way back roads - maybe. Can't imagine one of these at 80mph +
Not exactly true. Some Mogs? Sure... Others of newer vintage (such as Charlie')? No problem to travel at a safe speed on US highways and even interstates believe it or not.

Our U1300L with the overdrive, reasonable axle ratio, and 395s will cruise at 115 kph (70 mph) or even higher if we desired. We choose to travel at 95 kph (~60 mph) most of the time and have yet to run into issues on the main roads.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior