Unimog demand

Iain_U1250

Explorer
Mine can do 100kph (60mph) 1950rpm easily, and if it were legal, 115kph ( 70mph) 2200rpm and I have one of the smaller Unimogs, a U1250, but mine has a few modifications :)

There are advantages and disadvantage to a bigger ones, the common equivalent here being the U1700L38. I've seen quite a few campers built on these and the main advantage of the bigger one is having a separate bathroom and some have a second sleeping area/ bed. Since ours is just for the two of us, we don't need a second bed, and our bathroom system works. Our habitat is 2.2 x 3.3m on the outside, making it 2mx3.1m on the inside.

The second advantage is carrying capacity. Our truck has a GVM of 8 tons, and we are always at the limit when touring. When we go on extended off-road trips, we may carry an extra 140lts of fuel and other things which takes us over the limit for a short period. A truck like Charlies will be very difficult to get close to GVM.

Here is a video about out truck,

The advantages of a smaller truck with is not much bigger than a Landcruiser ( but a lot higher) is that the tracks over here are made for 4x4s, so we fit, the bigger trucks find it a lot more difficult mainly with tyre damage or trees being too close together. We even fit in normal parking space.

lucilius

Not exactly true. Some Mogs? Sure... Others of newer vintage (such as Charlie')? No problem to travel at a safe speed on US highways and even interstates believe it or not.

Our U1300L with the overdrive, reasonable axle ratio, and 395s will cruise at 115 kph (70 mph) or even higher if we desired. We choose to travel at 95 kph (~60 mph) most of the time and have yet to run into issues on the main roads.
Agreed. To each his own and I'm no mog owner.......for me (and most folks in campers I know and don't avoid) chugging down the road in a decent-sized or larger camper, complete with sinks, beds, couch, shower and toilet, fridge, not to mention 10-15 pounds of crockery and silverware, maybe the missus, a few kids, the dog(s), luggage, beer and a 500lbs+ of discretionary fun gear (or whatever the trip load looks like), going 75-80mph for any length of time is dancing on the hazy line that separates cojones and cuckoo. Unless you are being chased. 60-65mph is plenty fast on good dry pavement. Enjoy the view, the topography and long life for you and your tires, may they always be recently checked and inflated properly.

plh

Explorer
Likewise. Top speed 108kph (68mph). I choose to go 92kph on divided highways (57mph) in Canada and USA. On Namibia highways with no shoulders recently, 82kph (50mph) seemed safe (1660rpm) and comfortable.
I do own 1 vehicle that’s safe at over 80 mph. It’s called a BMW. But it’s no good in deep sand or rocks.
There are vast stretches in the USA between me and fun that the posted interstate speed limits are 75 or 80 mph.

MogsAndDogs

There are vast stretches in the USA between me and fun that the posted interstate speed limits are 75 or 80 mph.
I recently drove about 4500 miles on those interstates and my Mog will not go any faster than 52 mph. It does take at least 33% longer to get anywhere so you have to have and plan for more time. We had one person give us the bird and one person brake check us, but other than that there were no issues. It's not for everyone but to say it isn't for anyone is incorrect.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior