Unimog Doka Firetrucks for sale

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
The first one is being sold by "the" unimog place in Europe. The second one is very attractive when it comes to pricing...

UpperCrust

Building and Learning
I'm not sure if I'm replacing the current truck or starting something new. When it comes to unimogs, I'm a novice. Not sure if these trucks are "good".

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
I'm not sure if I'm replacing the current truck or starting something new. When it comes to unimogs, I'm a novice. Not sure if these trucks are "good".
I think most of us who have had Unimogs will encourage you if you're prepared to view Mog ownership as an interesting and adventurous hobby, but would warn that you'll be less happy if you expect to get a truck that is fast, mainstream and suitable for either slogging through traffic or for a lot of freeway cruising. The big Mogs are impressively engineered, and the German fire truck conversions are usually very well-done, but you'll be selecting among 25-year-old trucks that were never meant to run at high speeds all day.

All in all, the big Mogs are worthy trucks for "I don't have to be anywhere" travel, but probably not what you want to head out into Friday traffic for a quick weekend of camping.

It's sad that it's half-a-year away, but attending the annual Northwest MogFest in August would be an excellent way to get an opportunity to drive comparable Unimogs and ask owners a lot of question. In any event, good luck.

LukeH

Adventurer
*have a look at how the axle is linked to the transfer case and you'll see that a stretch is somewhat complicated.
121017DansUnimog-14%20(3)-681x1024.jpg

Not a matter of putting in a prop bearing and lengthening the shaft. Doable, but expensive.

I presume you're looking at a Mog because it's a Mog, as you already have a 170hp 4x4 which is much better suited to long distances.
The will be great for fooling around, but exhausting on long hauls.:)

loonwheeler

Adventurer
I think most of us who have had Unimogs will encourage you if you're prepared to view Mog ownership as an interesting and adventurous hobby, but would warn that you'll be less happy if you expect to get a truck that is fast, mainstream and suitable for either slogging through traffic or for a lot of freeway cruising. The big Mogs are impressively engineered, and the German fire truck conversions are usually very well-done, but you'll be selecting among 25-year-old trucks that were never meant to run at high speeds all day.

Just to add that in the event you are willing and your budget is able - there are Mogs that were sold here in North America that are legal and less than 25 years old that also include many more cabin comforts than any Mogs in the 25+ year range. While it is true that they were not originally designed to sustain long bouts of high speed travel, as long as they are well maintained they do seem capable of doing just that - especially with high speed axle kits or overdrive options (or both!).

Agreed on all other points. The Unimog is an amazing machine and has capabilities that suits it as a better option for certain types of activities (offroad travel being one of the more obvious ones). If you are interested in purchasing a Mog for the cool factor, then just be prepared that you are about to own a machine that does require care (especially some that are 25+ years old) and maintenance - both of which are NOT cheap. As always - there are horses for courses. It all depends on your needs!

Last edited:

loonwheeler

Adventurer
Also another advantage of purchasing and ultimately importing a fire truck is the fact that it is exempt from import duties which can save you several thousands of dollars. Of course you probably already knew that. :sombrero:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears