Unimog Pop top - convert ambo box or build new nidacore box off of truck bed

S2DM

Adventurer
Hey All,

Truck in hand and in the initial phases of build planning.

We have a unimog 1300 with a nice ambo box in back. I'm 6'6" tall, so Heather felt pretty sure over a year, I'm gonna be cramped in a regular box. We both really don't want an 11' plus truck, so it seems some sort of pop top is the answer.

Our initial debate. Is it more work to cut off the top of the ambo box, affix actuators and then build some fold down hard sides, nettings etc., or more to start with a truck bed and build a Nida core structure from scratch, not dissimilar to what westyss did on the fuso platform.

We'd be saving time over his build already have a factory three point frame to build one, but starting from scratch over the ambo box. I can see advantages to both approaches but would appreciate some insight.

Heather and I both weld (she better than I) and I build surfboards and do woodworking (so the nidacore skill set I mostly have).

We'll be starting a build thread soon, but wanted to get some initial questions out of the way first.

Scott and Heather

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Hi Scott,

Have you got some detailed pics of the inside frame of the ambo box? Curious to see what was involved. If its what I'm imagining I think it would be a major feat to convert it to a poptop.

If you sold the box would it cover the cost of composite panels? Yves build thread is a great example of what a home builder can achieve .....especially with your skill set.

Btw Scott, I glassed 15 boards a week for 3 years and shaped for a long time before that.....I do not miss the fumes and dust one bit.

Kind regards
John.

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
These ambulance boxes are bombproof... but also very heavy! Building something from scratch maybe the ideal way to go for you.

S2DM

Adventurer
photo (14).jpg

Here is the inside of the ambo box. Met a local mogger who is modding his and has it torn down to the metal work, should hopefully be able to post a pic of that soon.

Short of that, from what Ive been told, these ambo boxes are very overbuilt and heavy. Lots of metal work and heavy duty actuators to convert this to a pop-top. Will post more pics soon.

-S

haven

Expedition Leader
Here are a few links to give you ideas about campers for your u1300L.

Stephen Stewart is an Englishman who had a camper built to his design for a u1300L, and used it to drive around the world. For details, including construction drawings, see
http://www.xor.org.uk/unimog/mymog.htm

Stephen also has a page with photos of more than 100 campers sitting on Unimog chassis
http://www.xor.org.uk/unimog/campermog.htm

A 1300L camper is for sale on ExPo today
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/104271-FS-Unimog-1300-Expedition-Camper-46k-OBO

Bill Caid is an American 'Mog camper owner. Bill has sold a couple of campers. Here are links to two of them
http://www.billcaid.com/UnimogForSale2013/UnimogForSale.html
http://www.billcaid.com/2007/UnimogCamper200710/UnimogCamperConstruction200710.htm
http://www.billcaid.com/UnimogForSale2011/U1300LInfo.html

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Here is the inside of the ambo box. Met a local mogger who is modding his and has it torn down to the metal work, should hopefully be able to post a pic of that soon.

Short of that, from what Ive been told, these ambo boxes are very overbuilt and heavy. Lots of metal work and heavy duty actuators to convert this to a pop-top. Will post more pics soon.

-S

Hi Scott,

If you wanted to poptop that ambo box I think the best way would be to strip the roof sheets , ceiling and insulation out. Then you would need to cut the centre of the roof out and create a flange maybe 4" to 8" in from the top corners so you have something to attach the canvas or vinyl skirts. Then re sheet the roof and ceiling around the outside of the collar. Then completely fab an alloy framed new poptop roof to go over the flange. Probably a lot less work than a whole new body but a new body would give you exactly what you need instead of a compromise.

I've done plenty of steel framed bodies at work but only a couple of composite flat panel bodies........they can be quite a lot of work if the system is not sorted....the corner extrusions make a huge difference to the success of the job. We did one about 6 years back with no extrusions...just folded up some stainless corners and glassed the inside. Looks cool outside but creates lots of detailing work later. Still this type of construction should be perfect with you glassing skills.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
This ambo box of yours looks pretty bombproof though.

Kind regards
John.

Last edited:

ersatzknarf

lost, but making time
Wish I could recall from where I "collected" this photo, but I think these folks did a hard top version of what you were talking about perhaps ?

Attachments

• white unimog camper.JPG
    white unimog camper.JPG
    42.1 KB · Views: 20

S2DM

Adventurer
We'd come to the same conclusion regarding leaving a 4" flange and then fabricating a new nida core light weight roof. Seems like a good way to go. I'd love to bring the vehicle weight down with a new box, but using the ambo does have its advantages.

Hi Scott,

If you wanted to poptop that ambo box I think the best way would be to strip the roof sheets , ceiling and insulation out. Then you would need to cut the centre of the roof out and create a flange maybe 4" to 8" in from the top corners so you have something to attach the canvas or vinyl skirts. Then re sheet the roof and ceiling around the outside of the collar. Then completely fab an alloy framed new poptop roof to go over the flange. Probably a lot less work than a whole new body but a new body would give you exactly what you need instead of a compromise.

I've done plenty of steel framed bodies at work but only a couple of composite flat panel bodies........they can be quite a lot of work if the system is not sorted....the corner extrusions make a huge difference to the success of the job. We did one about 6 years back with no extrusions...just folded up some stainless corners and glassed the inside. Looks cool outside but creates lots of detailing work later. Still this type of construction should be perfect with you glassing skills.

View attachment 195215
View attachment 195226
View attachment 195233
View attachment 195217
This ambo box of yours looks pretty bombproof though.

Kind regards
John.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior