Unimogs in Australia

phtest

Unimogs in Australia anybody got any info on ones for sale or just genral Unimog/Australia based Info?
Thanks
Paul

phtest

thanks Rob

I had seen that site, I think the camper is sold too now ! It was expensive too. There was a camo coloured one for sale a bit ago. It had a demountable camper on it. I'm looking really for an older unimog where I can add the camper myself.

63tlf8

Observer
...I think the camper is sold too now ! It was expensive too. .... I'm looking really for an older unimog where I can add the camper myself.

G'day Paul,

I must be just around the corner from you. I've sent you a PM to your address. Easier to take this off-line for the moment. Looking forward to hearing from you.

Cheers

Tony

roscoFJ73

Adventurer
Unimogs in Australia anybody got any info on ones for sale or just genral Unimog/Australia based Info?
Thanks
Paul

Only a very few were imported or sold in oz until the army bought 2000 of them.
Due to the terrain in australia ,I doubt many owners could use a mog to its full capacity,or even close.
On top of that they are not high speed vehicles and most 4wds here are required to cruise at the mogs top speed.

Of course I would still love to have one:victory:

My U500 has a top speed of 110kph and easily cruises at 100kph. Australia, lacking permafrost, also lacks large expanses of bottomless bogs like my home state that can get a Mog camper stuck.
I'm planning to spend a year in Australia with the vehicle, much of it WA.

Charlie

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Hi Charlie, We are looking at building on U500's at the moment and I actually mentioned your truck to everyone at lunch today. The price has come down alot. Almost in the same bracket as the MANs now. John.

whatcharterboat

I should have said that in Oz, they are still 4 times the price of an FG and about 2 and a bit times the price of a big Isuzu in the same weight bracket as a U500. Hopefully the price will come down even more.

I will keep in contact with you. I will probably ship the truck through Brisbane. By the way, although I have a friend in Morwell in NSW, Oz is a big place and I'm always looking for places to store it for a few months in other parts of the country since I have to work a bit between trips.
Non USA U500s come with 6.38 gears, about 7% slower than my 5.92s. I rev ~2000 rom @ 100 kph. A 6.38 truck does ~2160, both equipped with 395/85R20s. If you wish to gain more top speed, 14.00R20 XZLs will compensate.
You will be welcome to go over my vehicle in detail when I get there, in Jan 2010 or 11.
What is the base price in Oz? When I got mine it was US$95K, plus ~US$30K in options.

Charlie

whatcharterboat

I'm always looking for places to store it for a few months in other parts of the country since I have to work a bit between trips.

Charlie, we have a vehicle stored in our shed at the moment. Californian owner who comes over for the Noosa Surfing festival each year. He left it at work last time and when he can, he sends over some cash and we do some more mods to it. It's worked out well for both of us cause it gives us a little fill in job every now and then and he's had virtually free storage.

Obviously we have plenty of contacts here nationwide. Definitely drop in when you arrive and we can talk storage then. We are only 1 hour north of Brisvegas if that's where you intend to ship to. Can you verify this>> I have a friend who left here for Florida last week to buy a 45' boat and have it shipped back as deck cargo. I said why not San Diego because we've shipped a new 35' boat from here to there before, no problem? He told me that shipping via Florida was 1/2 the cost of shipping from San Diego because of the volume of frieght out of there. Could this be true although it definitely doesn't sound logical to me?

What is the base price in Oz? When I got mine it was US$95K, plus ~US$30K in options.

I'll double check what the options were, if any, but the price of a U500 on road in Oz is apparently AUD$235k (so today thats USD$154, 415). Like I said , same as 4 x Fgs. You can see why the Japanese truck are so popular here, heh? The MAN's are around AUD$190,K on road.

Our Army has mainly U1700s and a few big MACKs. I believe the oldest ones are now up for auction. Infinitely better than the Inter Accos that they replaced. We had an ex New Zealand Army U1300 for sale at work a couple of years ago but I'm sure it would be no comparison to yours. I'd rather have a modified FG over an old military 1300 any day. As someone said> to travel Oz comfortably you need to be able to do higher speeds due to the distances involved. Without the ear plugs.

Look forward to catching up when you come over I'll certainly keep you posted if we build these U500s. John.

3220254252_8d38687f6e.jpg

Nashy99

I have two Ex NZ Army U1700/L38's for sale. Both are complete with tarps, new tires, low Km's. These are identical to the Australian army unimogs, except they have the civilian cabs instead of the military cab (no round gun turret). Low Km's on both units, both in imaculate condition. Priced to sell, call Ben on 0419261459 or email benjamin.nash@anu.edu.au

Attachments

• 122029766_full.jpg
    122029766_full.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 62
  • 122029769_full.jpg
    122029769_full.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 54

egn

Adventurer
By the way, although I have a friend in Morwell in NSW, Oz is a big place and I'm always looking for places to store it for a few months in other parts of the country since I have to work a bit between trips.

Isn't there a limit of 1 year regarding leaving a foreign vehicle in AUS?

After that it has to be converted to right-hand drive an go through the road worthy tests to stay further.

Nashy99

I have two Ex NZ Army U1700/L38's for sale. Both are complete with tarps, new tires, low Km's. These are identical to the Australian army unimogs, except they have the civilian cabs instead of the military cab (no round gun turret). Low Km's on both units, both in imaculate condition. Priced to sell, call Ben on 0419261459 or email benjamin.nash@anu.edu.au

All Sold. However im always importing Unimogs into Australia, if you are after something in particular email me your specifications and i will see what i can come up with.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12