unofficial ammo can thread

The Adam Blaster

Expedition Leader
LifterCatcher - awesome stove, I love the level of creativity with that!
Did you figure out a closure over the chimney hole?
I could see that releasing dust/ash into your vehicle during travel. Or it could also be cured with some sort of carry bag or cover I suppose...

rusty_tlc

Explorer
I have no idea how many ammo cans I own.
Favorites are two military medical boxes that I really love for hauling camping gear in my open top FJ40. They are 100% water and dust proof, made out of aluminum so they are lighter and stronger than a similar size plastic box.

Attachments

• militart med box.JPG
    militart med box.JPG
    30.5 KB · Views: 66

corax

Explorer
not an ammo box, but these are great for electronics
1385.gif

I keep my ham radio comms in one and have another that I haven't figured out a use for yet.

Elwyn

I've got a .50 cal tin with a Gell Cell Battery in it and a .30 cal tin with an even smaller battery in. The smaller tin has charge and power socket in the lid but the larger tin doesn't have those yet.

It will, in time ;) They both get charged in the box and as yet haven't been used as much as I'd like but they are handy to have. The large one may be moved to a permanent mounting in the car and the 2m radio hooked up there.

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
I put a U bolt and lock on a .50 cal box on the front keeping the clamp from lifting. Keeps some ammo and stuff as a safe in a false wall hiding spot at the cabin. It should still be there...LOL Several smaller ones for tools. I'd like to find some plastic ones like those, how tuff are they? Pack em on a morotcycle? I'd like some old metal ones to put on the trailer too!

Adventurer
Thought I'd add my ammo can.

Ammo can drawer slide. I copied the text part, of the ammo can build, from my truck build thread.

Here's the finished product.
In round of pics the ammo can was loaded with 40 lbs of truck stuff. (yes, I actually weighed the stuff). At 40 lbs @ full extension the slide rests on the tailgate. I designed it to rest on the gate. The slide isn't supporting suspended weight just resting weight supported by the tail gate.
Filing cabinet slides are typically mounted sideways it's designed that way to support fully extended, suspended weight.
I mounted mine flat. I wanted to keep the slides tucked under the ammo can to save weight and keep it nice and tidy and narrow. At full extension the slide drops slightly but does not effect the slide , its very strong and stable. To slide the ammo can back in you lift it slightly and the slide moves fine with full weight. Works better than I thought it would. The slide only drops at full extension when it passes the edge of the tail gate, I may add a piece of plastic to the molded bed liner on the tailgate edge if it becomes a problem. I think it will be fine the way it is, time will tell.

DSC02892.jpg

DSC02893.jpg

DSC02894.jpg

DSC02901.jpg

DSC02895.jpg

DSC02902.jpg

Here are a couple cheap videos:
The vid is posted by weldergirl I hijacked my wife' s account.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwWpdXgaJWw"]YouTube - Ammo can drawer slide 1[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOoFnceCUDI&feature=related"]YouTube - Ammo can slide project 2[/ame]

(May /08) I hit a local mud hole and corrugated dirt roads today and gave the truck a good rattling, shake things up a bit. Every thing is rock solid and the bed bolts never backed off.
I'm taking a trip up north this weekend, its a good chance to further test it.

UPDATE: It's been half a year since the project was completed, I'm happy to say, the drawer slide is holding up strong. The occasional cleaning of the tracks is necessary, remove the old grease with a rag and replace with new grease. The ammo can has been carrying the same weight and contents since the build was completed, there are some new dents and scrapes but over all the paint has been holding up better than expected.

Update to the update: It's been over 2 years since the install. I haven't done any maintenance in over a year. Solid as a rock, carrying all my recovery gear. It's taken side impacts from loose items like tools sliding around between wrench-a-thons and home. Wood, camping gear, beer bottles, they've all taken jabs at the can, but the can prevails.:ar15:

trump

Adventurist
Bear with me on this picture (during my gear swap) as it was the only one I really have of it.

onlift.jpg

The cargo strapped M120/M121 81mm mortar ammo can is my spare CV box. It has provided a great waterproof way to store my CV's and some tools.

Contents of the Ammo can are:

-OEM CV Shafts in box (2)
-Quart Mobil1 Synthetic 75w90 (2)
-pry bar (1)
-1/2" Drive 35mm socket (1)
-Cotterpins (2)
-Tube of Loctite (1)
-Rags (filling all remaining space)

Possible future plans for the CV box include a permanent mount using four spare wheel studs and lug nuts.

angusdevil

Adventurer
Here is where I put a pair of mine. I keep various recovery gear and spare parts in them.

IMG00287-20110117-1535.jpg

IMG00115-20100717-1845.jpg

The little can doesn't stay back there any more but a friend did give me a cool bracket that holds 2 smaller cans together. I'm thinkin I'll bolt it to the flatbed somewhere for quick and easy access.
Phoenix-20110320-00103.jpg

Just a couple weeks ago, I put locks on my cans as well since I putting a flat/chasebed on the truck.

Phoenix-20110312-00079.jpg

Last edited:

Schattenjager

Expedition Leader
Great thread! Know what I'm doing now for a permanently mounted 'lock box' after shopping for three weeks. It will be perfect to put behind the drivers chair so I can securely stow the camera etc. while away from the rig!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan