unofficial ammo can thread

Ryan_S

Observer
These plastic ones from Fleet Farm fit my Viair pump perfectly.

66f31500.jpg

f59844dd.jpg

partsflyin

Adventurer
Stolen idea from another member SpenceyG .
Mounted one on the ladder on the back door.(oils,antifreeze,misc...)
slimpics-002.jpg

njsjeep

Observer
I found an ammo box at a local surplus place that is about the same size as a jerry can which gave me this idea idea. I attached a small piece of angled steel to the top of the box and a small flat plate to the bottom of the box and coated it with a can of spray on bed liner. The box fits tightly into the NATO can holder on my bumper and holds my recovery gear.

Attachments

• jeep.jpg
    jeep.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 161

97tjguzzy

Explorer
figured I would post a heads up. Altrec.com has the 20mm ammo cans for $25 each with free shipping. I couldn't find them local and that was the best deal I could find, figured I would spread the love.

The pics on their website show a beat up and rusty can, but I read the reviews that said most people had gotten cans in great shape.

Sure enough my cans were in near new condition with just stickers and some spray paint on them to cover the numbers. I'll see if I can get a pic of them.

I am using one for a fluids/spare parts box, and the other for a chuck box

The Adam Blaster

Expedition Leader
figured I would post a heads up. Altrec.com has the 20mm ammo cans for $25 each with free shipping.

That's a pretty good deal, better than I was able to find anywhere when I was searching last year.
I bought a couple last year for $40/each, and they were somewhat local to me - 45 minute drive each way. :rolleyes:

Unfortunately like so many companies these days, that website's owners has decided not to ship their products to Canada. Boo-urns.........

fourfa

Observer
I keep my air compressor in a small ammo can. Fits perfect with a sheet of 3/8" blue foam camping pad on all sides and top just to prevent metal-on-metal wear inside the can.

ktrout01

That's a sweet deal on 20mm cans but I find they get way too heavy when you store...ammo in them. LOL ! I have a bunch of cans I use for straps, chains, first aid kits and anything else I want to stay dry.

I built a tent stove last weekend out of a ammo can, took a lot of thought but well worth the effort.

here is the build ;)

Expeditions%20001.jpg

Expeditions%20003.jpg

Expeditions%20005.jpg

Expeditions%20006.jpg

Expeditions%20009.jpg

Expeditions%20011.jpg

Expeditions%20010.jpg

Expeditions%20012.jpg

Expeditions%20014.jpg

Expeditions%20016.jpg

Expeditions%20017.jpg

Expeditions%20032.jpg

Expeditions%20033.jpg

Expeditions%20052.jpg

Expeditions%20053.jpg

Last edited:

Shiryas

Adventurer
I have been thinking about this very idea, great job.

What did you put in place of the rubber gasket? Fiberglass rope?

Chris

Silverado

Adventurer
i'd be concerned with the olive green paint used on the ammo can.......at least from my experiences with painting CUCV trucks, the chemical resistant paint is a carcinogen.

EDIT: noticed the food was prepared outside the box....lol

Thats pretty trick!

Thanks it works great

I have been thinking about this very idea, great job.

What did you put in place of the rubber gasket? Fiberglass rope?

Chris

You got it, still makes a nice tight seal :)

i'd be concerned with the olive green paint used on the ammo can.......at least from my experiences with painting CUCV trucks, the chemical resistant paint is a carcinogen.

EDIT: noticed the food was prepared outside the box....lol

Thanks for the input, the pics where taken from the first burn and all of the paint melted off the box, I have since repainted the box with a hi temp grill and stove paint.

The box boils water in about 5 minutes and with the flue installed you can really regulate the amount of heat the stove produces.

TerryD

Adventurer
I have a question for the guys who keep theirs bolted in the bed, out in the weather. What do you have them painted with? Mine are going to be mounted in the back of my K5 and about 1/2 the time, they'll be in the weather (when the weather is warm enough to have the top off.)

trust

Adventurer
slick tent stove! what did you use for to attache the bent flat deal inside under the chimney? JB weld?

thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior