Unstable Steering Over Bumps

nckwltn

Explorer
The steering wheel feels pretty tight and the wheels seem to react as soon as I turn it. I'll try it out at low and high speeds on my commute tomorrow.
I'll have to watch the video again, but it kooks like you have a lot of play in the wheel... But that could be just you reacting to the bumps.

Have you put the front end up on jack stands to see if there is any turning play in the wheels if you grip and apply force at 9and 3?

TheMole

Adventurer
I'll have to watch the video again, but it kooks like you have a lot of play in the wheel... But that could be just you reacting to the bumps.

Have you put the front end up on jack stands to see if there is any turning play in the wheels if you grip and apply force at 9and 3?

Not yet, I'll most likely have to wait until the weekend to try that test. Weird weather around here lately too as you may know.

TheMole

Adventurer
If your in the valley, we can meet up and you can see how my 99 reacts

Thanks I might have to take you up on that offer if I can't figure this out. Hopefully not too deep in the valley :p. I'm by the 710 and 10 freeways.

During my commute today, I noticed that the steering wheel feels a bit looser when turning it the first few degrees to the right. Also, it seems to slowly pull to the right on a flat (from what I can tell) street. Will definitely checkout the right side when I get it up in the air.

nckwltn

Explorer
Thanks I might have to take you up on that offer if I can't figure this out. Hopefully not too deep in the valley . I'm by the 710 and 10 freeways.

During my commute today, I noticed that the steering wheel feels a bit looser when turning it the first few degrees to the right. Also, it seems to slowly pull to the right on a flat (from what I can tell) street. Will definitely checkout the right side when I get it up in the air.
I'm near the 405 and 118.... A bit of a hike

Schitzangiggles

King of Macastan
The wheel bearings would be my first choice. Jack up the Montero to raise the front end off of the ground and put jack stands to support it. Then grabbing each wheel 12 and six, alternate pulling on 12 and pushing on six to see if you have any play or wobble. Then push/pull at 12 and six at the same time. If it wobbles or makes weird noises, replace the unit bearing hub assemblies.

Then grab it at 3 and 9 and repeat pulling and pushing like you did before. Make sure the steering wheel is locked and have a helper observe the opposite side to see the movement if any.

your Montero or any vehicle for that manner should never behave like yours is.

TheMole

Adventurer
I'll check this out thanks guys. I don't hear the typical wheel bearing noise while driving so assumed they were good.

JamesW

Adventurer
Could it be your rear panhard rod Bush? The one in my old Suzuki wore out and it felt like something was up with the steering as the rear axle would steer it going over bumps.

I replaced my front shocks which had gone stiff a few months ago, and the handling was transformed, might be worth checking has one of your shocks failed?

TheMole

Adventurer
I'll check out the panhard (lateral rod) bushing too next time I'm under there. The steering usually moves as soon as the front wheels roll over the bumps, but I do remember a few times where it happened as the rear wheels went over them.

Shocks are less than a year old/10k miles KYB Monomax. It did this before I replaced the shocks as well.

TheMole

Adventurer
Did you ever figure out what was the cause? I'm having a similar issue but doesn't move around as much.

Unfortunately no not yet. I replaced the following at difference times with Moog parts:

Pitman arm
Idler arm
Inner/outer tie rods
Upper/lower ball joints

The first thing I replaced was the idler arm and the rest of the parts months later. Not sure if the other worn parts can cause it to fail prematurely. Only other thing I can think of that I haven't replaced are the control arm bushings. In your case I would check for play in the front steering/suspension components first.

Schitzangiggles

King of Macastan
The stiffer shocks would cause more play in the worn bushings as it would not "soften" the blow from the bumps and isolate the forces in the most worn/weakest component.
200,000 miles on the original bushings? You do know they are a wear item right? The bushings locate the control arms and when they wear they allows the control arms to move which is just like putting in steering input, without you actually doing anything. The forces acting on the tire as you drive want to use the lengths of the control arms as a lever to pry the tire into or away from the frame depending on how bumps or a change in force interacts with the tire.

TheMole

Adventurer
The stiffer shocks would cause more play in the worn bushings as it would not "soften" the blow from the bumps and isolate the forces in the most worn/weakest component.
200,000 miles on the original bushings? You do know they are a wear item right? The bushings locate the control arms and when they wear they allows the control arms to move which is just like putting in steering input, without you actually doing anything. The forces acting on the tire as you drive want to use the lengths of the control arms as a lever to pry the tire into or away from the frame depending on how bumps or a change in force interacts with the tire.

I've had this issue since I bought the car with blown oem shocks. After replacing all those parts and getting an alignment it would feel great, but would revert back after a week or two of driving. I know the bushings are a wear item and you're probably right about them being bad. They are probably a lot more worn than from what I can see when I crawl under there. I guess I'll have to deal with it for now until I have time to remove the complete arm and have new bushings pressed in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12