unURBAN Adventures - Alaska to Argentina to AFRICA!

suntinez

Explorer
Really enjoying your travels. I don't think I'll be able to get that image of donkeys making tequila out of my mind for a long time, a good thing. Very cool on the turtles!

4x4abc

Adventurer
horse vs donkey

if Watt would have used donkeys for his definition of work done over time (to define the output of steam engines) we would measure Ferraris and Porsches in donkeypower today and not in horsepower
would be something!

unURBAN

Adventurer
...so how many donkeypowers in one horsepower????? At 6000 ft the output of my 3.0 liter diesel definitely feels like donkeypower.

E

4x4abc

Adventurer
Espen,

don't know the current conversion rate. Mexican burros or American donkeys?
Anyway, I had a 3.0 diesel with no turbo for 13 years, and yes, you measure the acceleration with a calendar - BUT, it runs trouble free forever. More power - more problems. You don't need those on your trip.

I am still jealous about your dicoveries.

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Espen,

don't know the current conversion rate. Mexican burros or American donkeys?
Anyway, I had a 3.0 diesel with no turbo for 13 years, and yes, you measure the acceleration with a calendar - BUT, it runs trouble free forever. More power - more problems. You don't need those on your trip.

I am still jealous about your dicoveries.

The 3L diesel in his Patrol is turbo'ed and I do believe intercooled also. It is a small engine and his truck is very heavy plus has 37's. If he had the 4.2L TD it would be much better but still being a heavy truck with big tires it wouldn't break any speed records.

Oh and I am on my 2nd drive to Panama in my 04 Taco with a S/C, 7th injector, headers, ect ect ect. Actually I am here now in Panama so the truck has done 3 drives through Mexico/CA with a modified engine. It runs just fine, no problems at all...although I did have to replace the TB last year on the trip south. A mod is now done and that will never be a problem again.

So my point is.....it is all simply a matter of opinion/personal preferance in terms of modified or not, more power or no power, ect ect ect.

unURBAN

Adventurer
Yo, Red87... Nothing exists between Manzanillo and Ixtapa... Didn't you get the memo?:sombrero:

Espin... Glad you made it to Sayulita for Virgin of the Guadalupe! My parents lived in Sayu for 20 years before the tourists found it and my first ever visit started on V de G day! Always the best fiesta of the year I think! There are probably 2 nights per week when bands will play till 2 or 3. By now they will have fireworks going from 4:30 am every morning!

Did you camp at the free beach in Melaque? My uncle has a b&b on the water in San Patrico. I would have given you his email for a place to stay. The beach at the north end is fun, and campground at south end of the beach is great too.

As I posted earlier, Patzcuaro is totally worth a visit, but may not be on your prefered route. Glad you are having fun!

Hi redthies!

Thanks for goood suggestions, and sorry for beeing a little slow with my responses. We totally loved Sayulita, and the fiesta was great! We also camped at the free beach in Melaque, only that it isn't free anymore. We had to pay 40 peso per car, and 5 peso more if we wanted to use the baños... Would probably have been better at your uncles campground...

We've also got several recommendations for Patzcuaro, but unfortuanately, we just have to skip a few places on our way south. We are now headed for Pico de Orizaba, the highest mountain/volcano in Mexico, and we hope to be able to climb it if weather permits. From there the plan is a few days on the east coast, and then drive south towards Palenque.

Espen

unURBAN

Adventurer
Guanajuato and San Miguel de Allende

5290558989_4b8049c9fc_b_d.jpg

Guanajuato is an interesting historic mining town tucked into a valley up at 2000 meters. In 1540 the Spanish discovered gold and later silver in this area and it became one of the most influential mines during the colonial period. In 1810 the first battle against Spanish troops in the war of independence happened at Alhondiga granary in Guanajuato. Driving into town all the narrow winding roads was pretty confusing. Luckily the GPS helped us with the navigation, and we found the campground with walking distance to town and we could park the car.

5290556351_a9193a6385_b_d.jpg

Two days is probably not enough time to explore this city, but that was the time we had given ourselves.

5291157692_9d871e6d41_b_d.jpg

A short cut to town took us through one of the many tunnels and we ended up in one of the many narrow roads.

5291159670_dfa6b48709_b_d.jpg

From a viewpoint we got a good view of all the colorful houses in town. This was also the first time in months where we actually spent some time in a city. And it was also a good opportunity to do some shopping for Christmas gifts. It was plenty of small interesting shops and a marked to look at, and we were all able to find some good gifts.

From Guanajuato the road took us up to 2500 meters and we got good views over the green hills before descending down to 1800 meters. San Miguel de Allende was where we wanted to celebrate Christmas, and it was a good campground in town with excellent Wi-Fi, so we could all Skype our families.

5290559309_fc7640b9d5_b_d.jpg

San Miguel de Allende is another old charming colonial town. It is a bit more westernized when it comes to shops and restaurants because many North American’s have moved down to this area.

5290563269_21e662e46c_b_d.jpg

On the 24th we were told from our fellow campers that there would be a Christmas gathering in between the campers where everyone could join. The owners of the campground had made a huge pot with traditional Mexican soup and a hot drink, everyone else brought a dish and we ended up having an amazing Christmas buffet.

5291164736_91ba6de807_b_d.jpg

We had not expected anything like this and it was a very pleasant surprise. For the first time it felt a bit like Christmas (it is strange to celebrate Christmas so far away from home and with no snow…). With a pretty full stomach we headed to the restaurant where we had made a dinner reservation. We were able to eat a good dinner before heading back to the campground and the Christmas gifts.

5291167406_1dfeec52df_b_d.jpg

The six of us (German, Swiss and Norwegian couple) had bought two presents each and with a gift exchange we all got some nice presents. Saturday was a good rest day (with a tiny tiny hangover) before driving towards our next stop, Teotihuacan and Mexico City!

unURBAN

Adventurer
The 3L diesel in his Patrol is turbo'ed and I do believe intercooled also. It is a small engine and his truck is very heavy plus has 37's. If he had the 4.2L TD it would be much better but still being a heavy truck with big tires it wouldn't break any speed records.
As usual, RMP&O, you know your Patrols... :)
It is a ZD30DDTi. Turbo, intercooler, 158 hp (118 kW) @ 3600 rpm, and I think 37.0 kg·m (363 N·m; 268 ft·lbf) @ 1800 rpm.

With a factory setup (and without the roof rack), I could normally do about 100 km pr 10 liter of fuel, which should be about 24 mpg. Now it is definitely a little slower, as our weight is about 7000 pounds. Still, the ZD30 is actually doing pretty good, but our challenge is that the gear programs in the automatic transmisson doesn't know sh## about loss of power at altitude...

E

unURBAN

Adventurer
Oh... And a quick question: does anyone know if they ever imported Nissan Patrols with this engine (ZD30) to Guatemala????? I need new oil filters!!

Tnx!
E

unURBAN

Adventurer
Tequila tasting.... where was that exactly?

Keep the updates coming

That was "7 Leguas" in Atotonilco el Alto, close to Guadalajara. I'm not sure if they have organised tours every day, but it can't hurt to ask. And I'm serious about their Extra Añejo - expensive, but it is the best Tequila I've ever tasted!!!

E

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
E

Sorry we missed you for NYE! We are leaving Zipolite manana, heading down toward Guatemala. I am not sure if you plan to come here, but you should...

:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eclipse179