unURBAN Adventures - Alaska to Argentina to AFRICA!

geovalue

Adventurer
Great to see you back the road hope to meet up with you again somewhere once we get moving again, still in Lima. Great photos
Safe travels

unURBAN

Adventurer
unURBAN at Machu Picchu

Of course you can drive to Machu Picchu, or at least close enough to walk the last part. We had heard that it should be possible to drive in to a village called Santa Teresa and leave the car there. From Santa Teresa it should be about two hours to walk up to a hydro energy power plant, or take a taxi. Take a taxi? Right, if a taxi can drive up to Hidroelectrica, so can we! From Hidroelectrica it is a 25 minutes train ride, or a two hours walk along the tracks to Aguas Calientes which is the nearest town to Machu Picchu.
6054893360_a2056d00ea_b_d.jpg

It was a great drive up to Hidroelectrica through a narrow valley.
6054349843_46574013bd_b_d.jpg

After about 25 minutes we saw what must be the end of the road. There was a gate and an officially looking booth, and we were told that the road went about 100 meters further to the train station, but was only for official vehicles and taxies. We were not allowed to park anywhere near the entrance, as this was a Natural and Historical zone. Sure, we took this picture of the area from Machu Picchu. Very natural and historical…
6054345123_d5244abb11_b_d.jpg

Just before the entrance boot is a bridge across the river, and on the other side was a house. We asked and were allowed to park the car there for 10 soles per day (about 3 usd). At four thirty we were on our way to Aguas Calientes along the railway tracks. It is a nice and easy walk, and there are even two restaurants along the way (first is about two thirds in). Exactly 2 hours and one minute later we were in Aguas Calientes. Seemed to be plenty of guest houses, and we were asked several times if we needed accommodation as we walked through the town center. We paid 35 soles for a double with bathroom at Hostal One. Not too nice, but ok for a night. Early next morning we bought a one way ticket for the bus going up to the entrance of Machu Picchu (8 usd per person!). You can walk up in an hour and a half, but as we had planned to walk back out to the car the same day, we went for the bus.
MACHU PICCHU
6054894082_0f13b27015_b_d.jpg

Yes, we know it is a cheesy picture, but it is kind of the standard tourist picture of the site. We had to… And we even had to get in line to get the picture. The picture is taken from the Warden Hut overlooking the city.
6054896596_7812c5d3d8_b_d.jpg

There are about 2500 tourists visiting Machu Picchu EVERY day in the high season (which was now...).
6054896896_68781074a9_b_d.jpg

Fortunately, the site is quite big, and it absorbed the masses very good. And even if it is a little crowded, it still is a magical place. I would say it is one of the few places in the world that you see, and still have problems believing…
6054346515_1a4211cca2_b_d.jpg

To get away from the masses for a while we found a small trail leading away from the site. It ended in The Inca Bridge, which once took people of Machu Picchu along this steep mountain side.
6054345625_c47d583e77_b_d.jpg

Some of the architecture in Machu Picchu is quite interesting, and the Incas were experts of “using” the terrain in their buildings, terraces, and plazas.
6054347497_0956261a00_b_d.jpg

We had almost a full day in Machu Picchu. To make it all the way back to the Patrol before dark, we left around two in the afternoon. From the ruins, it took us about three and a half hours to walk back out, including a late lunch at the restaurant on the way.
6054899672_acb67dbbf0_b_d.jpg

The train didn’t stop. It would of course have been an option, as there are three departures a day to Hidroelectrica. Price is 18 usd per person each way.
We drove out from the parking, and continued down the road to Santa Teresa for about a kilometer. There we got off the road, popped the tent, and cooked dinner. Nice and quiet place with no people around. Coordinates for parking and camp site to be posted on www.unurban.no soon.

E&M

bobDog

Expedition Leader
so I didnt have to delete so many pics I thought I would just reply. I thank you for all the "not run of the mill photos"....so fresh....so nice.
Its funny I have followed you both so long that I feel I would recognize you on the street.
Thank you so much for this glimpse of one of the worlds most amazing places! You both are so amazing yourselves.......Thank you for sharing!:coffeedrink:

Lykos

Super Trucker
WOW!!!

I came upon this site and this thread while doing a little net research for (what I now know is called) an Overland trip my father (whom I just met last year) and I are planning for next year.

I've sat here in the bunk room of my Volunteer Rescue Squad for the last two hours reading this thread! I am absolutely enthralled and amazed with,and not to mention insanely jealous of, your trip!!

I have but one question to ask. I may have missed this in one of the previous 41 pages so if it's a repeat I apologize.

What are your thoughts on the GPS you're using? Would you buy it again for this type of adventure?

Last edited:

unURBAN

Adventurer
bobDog and Lykos,

Thanks for commenting, and thanks for the kind words! Nothing as motivating for writing travel journals as knowing that people read them... And along the way we have met other travellers that we have followed on their blogs, and when you finally meet "live" it really feels like we have known each other for a long time. Strange but very nice!

And for you thinking about or planning a long trip, we have a keyword to put as no. 1 on your checklist for the preparations: GO! GO! GO! (oups, that was three... )

As for the GPS question, most travellers are using Garmin, so if you want the possibility to exchange maps and routes, this is the most logical choice. It is also very easy to download free maps for the Garmin from different "openstreets"-projects. The maps we have been using for most of Central and South America has been free, and also surprisingly good! We are using an older Nuvi model (255W) and have been happy with this. There are of course more functionality in more expencive models, but the cheaper Garmin Nuvis have a VERY good value for the money spent. It is however best used with a laptop (with a SD card reader) to download and transfer/copy maps, waypoints and routes to and from the unit.

E&M

Dgurley2000

Adventurer
Nothing as motivating for writing travel journals as knowing that people read them...
E&M

I've been enjoying keeping up with this thread as well. Your entry on your visit to Machu Picchu got our family reading about the Incas. Keep the detailed updates coming!

I also noticed your comment about posting GPS coordinations for campsites and other interesting locations. I couldn't find these details on your website. Can you point me in the right direction?

unURBAN

Adventurer
Norway - a little break

After a long time on the road we felt like it was time to go home to Norway for a couple of weeks to visit family and friends. To be able to go home we had to find a safe place to park the car, and that we found at Quinta Lala in Cusco.

6080930182_a818c7b0de_b_d.jpg

We realized that Oslo, Norway, is not the center of the universe when our flight from Cusco ended up like this: Cusco - Lima - Madrid - London Heathrow - Oslo, and took us 28 hours.
It was really nice to see family and friends again, and when we meet them it did not feel like we had been gone for so long. The only way to notice that we had been gone for a while was that all the kids had doubled in size.
One of the major differences we noticed being back in Norway was that all toilets have a toilet seat and paper, and for the first time since we left USA in November 2010 we could again throw the paper in the toilet and flush. One thing that is not so good with being back in Norway is the price level.

6080933056_bf91420ed5_b_d.jpg

One liter of fuel cost 14,14 NOK (2, 6 USD) per liter. One personal Italian pizza in a normal restaurant is 30 USD and 0, 5 beer is from 11 USD and up to 15 USD, that I heard someone paid at a festival.
Everyone at home complained that it had been raining the whole summer, but we were lucky to have some nice summer days. It was really good to have a nice long summer evening again. At 21.30 the sun was still shining. So far in Central and South America it has been dark, really dark, around 18.00. When the weather is good in Norway it is a great place to be. Here are a few photos from our trip back home this summer to show it:
4358545585_511194f827_o_d.jpg

West coast of Norway, where Espen grew up.
6080930720_201e668016_b_d.jpg

Finse, the highest railway station in Norway at 1222 meters above sea level.
6080931016_3e72c4cb9b_b_d.jpg

Hiking in the mountains.
6080396075_9d64e6e543_b_d.jpg

The Oslo fjord
6080932804_c050357623_b_d.jpg

Along the main street, Karl Johan, in Oslo some lines from Henrik Ibsen's plays has been selected and engraved into the sidewalk. This one says: “Vi ejer tiden, men tiden ejer ogsaa os” – “ We own the time, but the time also own us”
6080931390_7d7a623cda_b_d.jpg

Three days after we arrived in Oslo the terrorist attack happened where 79 people got killed by a crazy man. We left Oslo four hours before it happened to visit my (Malin) parents. This was the first time since we started travelling that Espen had to call his family to tell them he was ok and safe as they knew we were in the area. It felt strange after travelling through countries like Mexico, Guatemala, Honduras and Colombia never experiencing anything bad, and then this happened in “safe” Norway. Three weeks after the attack people still put down flowers outside Oslo Cathedral to show their respect to the victims and their families.
After some good and relaxing weeks in Norway we packed our bags (including a jerry can), more warm clothes, new books and a selection of Norwegian food, and were ready to explore the world again.
E&M

Last edited:

4x4abc

Adventurer
jealous

Espen,

I am tempted to copy your trip - and you are so lucky to have a world class photographer with you (thanks Malin!)

unURBAN

Adventurer
Espen,

I am tempted to copy your trip - and you are so lucky to have a world class photographer with you (thanks Malin!)

Hello 4x4abc! Long time! Hope ur doing good!
There are few things in the world I would recommend higher than a trip trip like this... And I will never let go of my photographer! :)

E

Last edited:

4x4abc

Adventurer
favourite

Espen,

you are one of my favorite travel teams of all times - good preparation ( especially the big tires) and KISS approach. I'll keep my fingers crossed that your sensational adventures will never end. See ya down the road!

unURBAN

Adventurer
Thanks for that, Harald! We'll certainly try to keep travelling for as long as we can. Life on the road is just too good....

See ya down the road!

We really hope so, and than we'll buy the beers!

Take care! (I'll tell Malin to update on the camera part)
E

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12