unURBAN Adventures - Alaska to Argentina to AFRICA!

rockandroll

Adventurer
Damn. You have us over here at PanAm Notes very excited for that last leg. I'll shoot you an email soon to get your routing suggestions.

Awesome story telling and awesome picture taking. Look forward to seeing you in a couple months!

jpvm

Explorer
Espen , c'mon if you don't move this thread is ended :smiley_drive::smiley_drive: .. there are still many things to do down there ... did you go to the Cueva del Milodon, Torres del Paine, Cabo de ultima Esperanza, Faro Punta de Angeles ... etc . ??

bobDog

Expedition Leader
Espen , c'mon if you don't move this thread is ended :smiley_drive::smiley_drive: .. there are still many things to do down there ... did you go to the Cueva del Milodon, Torres del Paine, Cabo de ultima Esperanza, Faro Punta de Angeles ... etc . ??[/QUOTE LOL nice shot! good try!:sombrero: HeHe....must be a Taco Bell to visit right?:)

Happycamper

Adventurer
Sensational stuff.

Photography has been awesome. I downloaded > 300 mb one night at work, I know cause the computer police were watching and I was in trouble!!

Enjoy Antartica.

I look forward to another of your adventures someday.

unURBAN

Adventurer
Hey Everybody!!

Thanks for following us, and thanks for staying with us for all this time. The positive feedback from all of you is a great motivation to keep posting! And don't un-subscribe to our thread just yet. Malin will explain what is going on tomorrow, and it does have a positive effect on our travel budget........ :)

E

unURBAN

Adventurer
Espen , c'mon if you don't move this thread is ended :smiley_drive::smiley_drive: .. there are still many things to do down there ... did you go to the Cueva del Milodon, Torres del Paine, Cabo de ultima Esperanza, Faro Punta de Angeles ... etc . ??

And I promise to visit at least Cueva del Mildon and Torres del Paine before we leave Chile! It would also be nice to do a full season skiing in the fantastic Andes Mountains, but I'll have to look into finding a new vehicle with a live-inside option for those months of freezing cold winter... :)

E

jpvm

Explorer
And I promise to visit at least Cueva del Mildon and Torres del Paine before we leave Chile! It would also be nice to do a full season skiing in the fantastic Andes Mountains, but I'll have to look into finding a new vehicle with a live-inside option for those months of freezing cold winter... :)

E

Torres del Paine is really worth to see before leavin' Chile , especially for trekking , camping, mountaneering, its a must see while in the chilean Patagonia (Torres del Paine was declared as a biosphere conservation area by the Unesco).
Ufff... skiing , one of my beloved sports , you can ski in Pucon in the south , Antillanca, Llaima, Malalcahuello... all over the south ... but in Central Chile (La Parva, Valle Nevado, El Colorado and Portillo) the level is top notch (June through September).- Kudos to that !

And keep posting , your blog has a LOT of great unpublished shots that EXPO must see !! :drool:

unURBAN

Adventurer
Antarctica!

4460716990_c0a75ec568_o_d.jpg

So what is this talk about flying south? When I am not driving the Patrol together with Espen I work as a chef, and my last jobs have been in rather cold places.
When we started planning an overland trip our first plan was to travel in South America, but then I got offered a job as a chef at Catlin Arctic Surveys camp in the Canadian Arctic. After five great summer seasons working in Antarctica, being able to working in the Canadian Arctic for 2 ½ months was too tempting to let down. With that our first plan changed and we said we would start our overland travel in North America and then travel down to South America.
6351386129_c6fb227c2b_b_d.jpg

Catlin Arctic Survey’s camp was put up on the sea ice west of Ellef Ringnes Island in the territory of Nunavut, Canada (78°45’N 103°30’W), and camp staff were there to support scientists doing their work on ocean acidification. You can read more about the Catlin Arctic Survey on http://www.catlinarcticsurvey.com/ At the most we were 11 people in camp, and it was a great group of people to work with. Living on the sea ice for a while was an amazing experience. When we first put up camp, the nights were dark, but for every day the sun got higher and higher above the horizon and in the end we had midnight sun.
6352131048_d479854716_b_d.jpg

The changing light and the ice formations is what I remember best from the Arctic because it is different from everything else I have seen. We did not see any polar bears, and even if I would have liked to see one I was glad not to encounter one in our tent camp.
6352130958_40e7202964_b_d.jpg

Here is a short video that was made about my job in the Arctic.
While I was enjoying myself in the Arctic, Espen flew to Florida and picked up the Patrol. He had a detour to Moab, and then headed north to pick me up in Calgary when I flew out from Resolute. From Calgary we headed north to Alaska and Prudhoe Bay, where we turned around, and from there we have traveled south for 17 months. Now we are at the end of the road on the American continent, and a while back I signed up for my sixth season as a chef for ALE - Antarctic Logistic & Expeditions in their camp at Union Glacier. ALE flies to Antarctica from Punta Arenas, Chile (next to Tierra del Fuego), and it is just one long day driving from Ushuaia. Arriving in Punta, Espen told me that this was probably the first and only time he would drive me to work….
In Punta Arenas it was time to re-pack going from an overland travel to go to work three months in Antarctica.
6348563871_bd68683d8f_b_d.jpg

This is more or less all the stuff I will bring with me onto the ice. Now we just have to wait for the weather in Union Glacier to cooperate so the Ilyushin IL76 can fly the 3060 km (4 hours and 15 minutes) to get to the camp at S 79 46’40’’ W 83 19’15’’.
6352130764_379aa1105b_b_d.jpg

6352130654_d664f27823_b_d.jpg

The runway in Antarctica is a blue ice runway and here is a photo from a previous season when we went out for a stroll on the runway.
6352130558_2f1b280d5f_b_d.jpg

Union Glacier Camp is a tent camp, but a much larger one than the one in the Arctic. At Union Glacier we can get up to 130 people in camp at the most. This season will be a bit different from the others as Espen also got a job on the ice doing dishes and helping in the kitchen. Since we both will be in Antarctica for 2 -3 months we will try to write a couple of blog updates on camp life from the ice. Enjoy the comfort living with a heated house and with running water while waiting for our first update from the frozen continent :)
Malin

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
That is truely awesome! Glad you two get to work together down there. I take it you found a place to store the Patrol while working? And after you two are done you getting back into the Patrol and driving north!? ;)

Question; where did you shower in the Canadian Artic camp!?

Ruined Adventures

Brenton Cooper
Amazing! I think it's safe to say that after a few months in Antartica, the patrol will be back on the road...the suspense will be worth the wait to find out where. Looking forward to seeing more from the frozen continent and whatever comes next.

bobDog

Expedition Leader
Thank you very much for taking us along......hope you get to post more then just a couple entries.....hoping for a few dozen photos too. I'll be waiting. Have a great time!!!!!

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
If you guys make it back to Vancouver Island BC and more specifically Victoria BC... dinner is on me ok.

Good luck over the next few months.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12