unURBAN Adventures - Alaska to Argentina to AFRICA!

Loving your trip

Hi guys,

Been following your trip on and off for the last 12 months and loving that your doing what you love!!

Im currently working in Antarctica myself saving for a trip just like your doing! I have a blog that I started 2 years ago when I planned to head back to West Africa,
that was before I got the job down in Antarctica.
Would Love to ask you guys some questions.

My blog address is travelingaustralian.blogspot.com

Could I PM you and ask you some questions?

Cheers
Travelingaustralian

Berglid

Adventurer
Endelig tilbake fra isødet! hehe. har fulgt med heilt sidan starten. og sjukt fin tur dette. påtide med oppdateringer snart!

Racer-X

Observer
How is this for an interesting story?

I live in Port Elizabeth, South Africa, have been to the Addo elephant park, have been to Zanzibar (in fact i think i stayed in a hotel next door to one of the pictures)

ADK_XJ

Observer
Missing the Patrol!

I popped back in to check on this thread partially hoping you'd be back with your many great stories and beautiful photography but, I have to admit, most of all I want to see you back on the road in your Patrol!

Best of luck back on the road...

unURBAN

Adventurer
One more season in Antarctica

It has been a while, but as we’re now back in Africa after our “break” in Antarctica, it is time to get back online and start the blog again. First a few updates from the cold continent:

8535329408_8e787ace1d_b_d.jpg

8535367884_cd5f8fc84e_b_d.jpg

It was quite different to arrive at Union Glacier this season. Last year most of camp was already in place and tents were up. This year we were on the first Ilyushin flight in and most of camp was still in boxes and bags. A small crew was flown in a week or so before us, and had prepared the runway, started the machines, and cleared snow around camp and structures. As weather was good we started putting up tents pretty soon.

8481463435_360b5b0859_b_d.jpg

First we need a flat and firm surface. The snow cats are good to have around.

8534265007_da73d99236_b_d.jpg

Looks pretty nice for a tent, and this is where we have most of our meals, and where clients spend time when they are not out in the field.

8534219157_f268670de3_b_d.jpg

There are a few “hard shell” structures as kitchen box, toilets, coms box, and some containers for storage. In the picture you can see the toilets in the back (to the right), the blue kitchen box attached to the Dining tent, and to the left is our heated cooler box (now, think about that one…).

8482553922_7260b9b7df_b_d.jpg

8534219477_baa48754e4_b_d.jpg

Malin’s office for the season. Looks pretty amazing for a camp in Antarctica, but then the chefs here make dinner for up to 130 people a day.
The Mechanical department doesn’t have the same facilities as the kitchen, but the mechanics here are amazing. Everything can be fixed!

8534219731_2c00a9e85f_b_d.jpg

Staff are living in standard four season mountain tents, and Malin and I are sharing this one. Wearing jeans means it is Saturday!

8482554366_beb672a039_b_d.jpg

Should be about 55 of them :)

8481465225_a1f66c54f8_b_d.jpg

And a few days after camp was up, we started packing for the first traverse… More about that in the next blog!

Espen

unURBAN

Adventurer
Antarctic trucking

Last season I was more or less (except for the most amazing bonus in the world) stuck in the dining tent as a kitchen assistant and dish washer. This season I signed up to work in the Mechanical department, and the idea was that I would be out driving for most of the season. Antarctic Logistics and Expeditions not only provide logistics services for ski expeditions and climbers, but also take on government contracts for provide logistics for research programs. This season we hauled all the equipment for a British program called Lake Ellsworth (http://www.ellsworth.org.uk/). From our own Union Glacier Camp and up onto the plateau. It turned out to be one of the most scenic drives I’ve ever had.

8576091037_8a2a077b1e_b_d.jpg

In the beginning of the season most of the equipment came in on our Ilyushin, and was then loaded onto slides and sledges.

8576085289_a25de4750f_b_d.jpg

To handle the containers we use a Swedish lift called a Hammer Lift. A brilliant design! Containers are put on slides, thick sheets of a strong plastic material and a bit of padding, and crates are loaded on to big sledges.
The access to the plateau takes us from camp and up glaciers to a pass where the ice flows over the mountain range and down into the valleys. The scenery is stunningly beautiful!

8576086167_b2551dc00a_b_d.jpg

To get up the pass we had to “build” a road with a switch back turn as it was too steep to drive directly up. It is pretty amazing what an experienced driver can do with the blade of a snow cat. It looked almost like a highway. I could probably drive up with the Patrol…

8577184924_7d4532a068_b_d.jpg

8576088669_c24836cce3_b_d.jpg

Driving over the pass we moved out onto the plateau, and another 160 kilometers towards the sub-glacial lake. The idea behind the Lake Ellsworth project is to drill down 3400 meters to this lake, that has been totally isolated from the rest of the world for maybe as much as 150 000 years. Unfortunately, this year the drilling equipment wasn’t up to the job, but my guess is they will try again in a few years’ time. The call came in just before New Year’s eve, that the team was packing up, come and pick us up. The first half of January we were busy going back and forth to Lake Ellsworth, and eventually the camp was cleared and everything was back at the runway on Union Glacier.

8576089289_bf16b4df69_b_d.jpg

Our landmark. The pass is somewhere in between the mountains.

8577190566_fb1b43d73e_b_d.jpg

We call in to our base regularly on Iridium sat phones to report position and status.

8576090143_8fc508ba05_b_d.jpg

Sunny, but with wind comes the drifting snow and low contrast. The GPS is definitely nice to have out here.

8576087215_611d4f0204_b_d.jpg

Schanz Glacier, the last leg down to Union Glacier, and home sweet home!

8576087775_c0be0d2ffd_b_d.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears