Unusual Exped. platforms in Top Gear UK Africa Special

tanglefoot

ExPoseur
I recently came across this riveting hour of programming and found it quite entertaining and thought-provoking. It features Jeremy Clarkson, James May and Richard Hammond crossing Africa to find the origin of the Nile River. Their vehicles are not typical for the type of adventure, and I don't think they would have chosen them if they lacked their support crew, but it made for an incredible adventure. Although it had portions of the typical rediculousness, I really admired parts of their vehicle setups, some of the ingenuity, and the cast's adventurous spirit.

The vehicles on the trip were a well-used trio of wagons: a Volvo 850R, a BMW 528 and a Subaru WRX (the only one with AWD).

For those who haven't seen it, it's available on Netflix (season 19, episode 6) and the majority of it is on Youtube.

article-2268907-172FA4C6000005DC-162_634x469.jpg

james-may-volvo-africa.jpg

jeremy-clarkson-reviews-a-bmw-528i-he-drove-for-1000-miles-in-africa-73879_1.jpg

wildorange

Observer
Top Gear special Africa was a blast, producers give the 3 presenters a allowance & type of vehicle to purchase in order to challenge them & the vehicles in different environments.

Other Specials:

Burma, building a bamboo bridge
Vietnam, ending up on an island
USA, New Orleans sometime after hurricane Katrina.
Patagonia with 4x4's
And the controversial Argentina special where the whole crew & presenters get attacked due to a Porsche & friggin number plate issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wildorange

Observer
Oh yes, the Toyota vehicle with Jeremy & Richard.

With mr Hammond using dogs.

And I forgot the Middle East special starting in Iraq

Theprofessional

Silent Footfalls
All of the big special were cool but this one in particular because they thrashed the piss out of those cars and didn't really break down (okay, Hammond snapped a control arm IT WAS RUSTED) whereas in other specials they always did. It should be a testament to the notion that BMW, Volvo, and Subaru are all, indeed, tanks since all three made it to the end with little worse than flat tires.

zb39

Adventurer
My FAV show. I want it to come back on with the same guys.....I have 112 episodes on my DVR........LOVE IT!!!!!

wanderer-rrorc

Explorer
I cannot tell you how many dozens of times Ive watched each special..and countless reruns...

the american version is just like all the other UK/usa remakes...****...steaming..liquid..****..

BRING BACK CLARKSON!!!!

wildorange

Observer
What's the name of the show?

Sent from my QMV7A using Tapatalk

Unsure of Amazons programme title as I've yet to see any trailers.

Clarkson's been doing advertising for Amazon over here though, must be part of the contract.

Clutch

<---Pass

james may...man lab is good too

i just randomly picked one

[video=dailymotion;xykboc]http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xykboc_new-series-james-may-s-man-lab-s3-ep1_shortfilms[/video]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle

Members online