Updates to my 93.

dbhost

So since I have gotten it, I have been busy more or less refreshing it. I have....

Replaced the faded or cracked light assemblies all the way around, upgrading to LEDs as I went.
Replaced the leaking radiator and siezed calipers / did the brakes.
Replaced water pump, power steering pump, tensioner and soon AC compressor. Eliminating anything making nasty noises as the front of the engine.
Removed the battery isolator and lead acid coach battery.
Installed DC to DC charger / MPPT controller, and dual 200 amp hour Lifepo4 batteries / bank.
Replaced the 110v only fridge with a 12v fridge same size, tiny... but enough for just me.
Replaced the 30 year old port o potty.
Replaced the torn sliding door curtain with a custom made insulating blackout curtain.
Added a memory foam mattress topper.
Installed 245/70R16 Venom Power Terra Hunter XTs. These are temporary until the 4wd conversion. Probably sell them to a friend with a 4x4 Ranger with 16" rims and no lift...
Replaced the 80s style hubcaps with later model directional blade style hubcaps. Looks a ton better.
Reinforced, drilled and filled flaking MDF cabinet edges where door hingest were mounting. Now I have solid mounting surfaces.

The items I need to finish with the parts I have.

Install rear door spare tire mount and relocate the spare tire.
Build battery bank box out of fiberglass and XPS foam to mount in old spare tire well.
Finish tidying up the 12v coach wiring.
Add 50 amp Anderson pass through for the solar panels. I have 2 300w portable panels and opted for this route. 2 SAE connectors / pass throughs would have been easier but not quite right...
Swap out multi function switch that is, flaky...
Pull, repaing, and reinstall wiper arms, or do a dang good job masking and paint them on the van...
Install BOSS Infotainment system with both front, AND rear cameras, mic and antenna to support handsfree and GPS.
Install Infinity Reference speakers.
Swap class 2 reciever hitch for class 4. This will allow me to use my hitch haul.
Test my Joolca replacement water pump. The original was DOA, warranty replacement came in today, haven't had a chance to test yet...
Once the 12v wiring etc... is tidied up and battery bank is UNDER the van, (with battery heaters) install Velit gasoline heater.

I have a 10x10 camping poly tarp rig I am going to test out as an awning. I tried my Ozark Trail 12x12 and it was just about a foot too long each way, going down 2 feet would be perfect...

dbhost

So I am stepping back a little bit and reassessing...

Install rear door spare tire mount and relocate the spare tire. Paused this. The spare tire carrier I have is one that drills through and bolts directly to the back door, oversize tires can be a problem with it, and I plan on eventually going with 354x12.50/17s, so push STOP and reasses... Looking for a used Aluminess or similar rear bumper / swing away spare tire carrier / cargo box combo that won't cost my an arm leg and reporoductive parts...

Build battery bank box out of fiberglass and XPS foam to mount in old spare tire well. yeah, the spare tire well needs to be empty first...

Finish tidying up the 12v coach wiring. Battery box needs to be moved first.

Add 50 amp Anderson pass through for the solar panels. I have 2 300w portable panels and opted for this route. 2 SAE connectors / pass throughs would have been easier but not quite right... Probably work on this this weekend. I have a stainless steel disc ready dimpled for the drill bit for the screw holes. Need to lay out my cut lines and cut out the square, mark and drill the screw holes for the bracket itself and just do it.

Swap out multi function switch that is, flaky... Just arrived, probagbly this weekend.

Pull, repaing, and reinstall wiper arms, or do a dang good job masking and paint them on the van... Been raining too much, once it dries out...

Install BOSS Infotainment system with both front, AND rear cameras, mic and antenna to support handsfree and GPS. In progress.

Install Infinity Reference speakers. Rear door speakers done, front in progress. Removing cargo door speaker.

Swap class 2 reciever hitch for class 4. This will allow me to use my hitch haul. Class 2 removed, class 4 pending install.

Test my Joolca replacement water pump. The original was DOA, warranty replacement came in today, haven't had a chance to test yet... Test succesful. Hot showers whenever I want them!

Once the 12v wiring etc... is tidied up and battery bank is UNDER the van, (with battery heaters) install Velit gasoline heater. See a theme here? I NEED to get that spare tire out of my way!

dbhost

I should note. I beleive I have sufficient room for the install AND airflow for where I want the Velit heater, HOWEVER I have zero interest in dropping the gas tank for the dip tube. WIll pay a shop to do that for me.

dbhost

The Velit heater is here. I have opted to swap out my 2 200 amp hour LiFEPo4 batteries for a single 400 amp hour battery... This will keep me from having to move the batteries under the van. Will be cutting the hole for the heater in the floor this weekend. Will be mounting everything BUT the fuel pump / pickup.

dbhost

Okay so let's cover what's been done so far.
  • Full brake job
  • New radiator, cap, T stat, water pump and hoses.
  • New power steering pump (Original was noisy) and hoses.
  • New 245/75R16 Venom Power Terra Hunter XT all terrain tires.
  • New AGM battery
  • Removal of battery isolator, installation of 60 amp breaker in line.
  • Replace OE alternator to battery lead with one rated at 150 amps (Summit Racing).
  • Installation of 40 amp LiFePo4 compatible DC to DC charger with MPPT controller.
  • Installation of 50 amp anderson connector / pass through for solar connection
  • Custom anderson connector / Dual SAE connector solar parallel cable.
  • 2 300w suitcase style solar panel kits with kitckstands.
  • 45L Bodega 12v fridge
  • 400 amp hour bluetooth smart BMS LiFePo4 CHINS battery.
  • Replace all exterior light lenses and bulbs, new lenses and full LED bulb conversion.
  • Installation of AM/FM/SSB CB with WX, 102" whip antenna.
  • Handheld GMRS, so I am convered.
  • Install added USB outlets.
  • Install USB powered RGB LED strip light surrounding interior of coach. Ambient relaxation lighting.
  • Remove prior class II reciever hitch. Won't support my hitch haul.
  • Install new Infinity Reference speakers in factory positions...
Pending repairs / updates.
  • Upgrade to 140 amp alternator. Current alternator amperage unknown. Factory alternator was 80 amps, but would have been a small frame Ford 3G, this thing has a large frame Ford 3G alternator in it, but at best only puts 30 amps to the DC to DC charger. Have alternator on hand ready to do it.
  • Install Velit gasoline heater. Based on the same design as the Chinese diesel heaters but runs on gas and has a LOT of engineering and QC improvements.
  • AC Compressor clutch. Noisy and getting worse. Replace it. I have the parts, shop wants to swap the whole compressor. I just want the clutch replaced since the compressor is working fine and it is just a noisy clutch... Seems most shops near me are scared of swapping these out... Not sure why.
  • Minor rust repair where Sportsmobiles get it. Drip rails. Ugh...
  • Mutlfunction switch is flaky. Have the replacement, as soon as it came in the original started working correctly.
  • Replace dashboard lights.
  • Install Class IV hitch. Need to climb under there and punch a couple of bolt holes in the frame...
  • Install new infotainment head unit / front / reverse camera system.
  • Install 4 channel power amp to drive the Infinity speakers.
  • Install front reciever hitch.
  • Install cabing with Anderson plugs to front and rear for...
  • Install / lock Engo E9000 winch mounted in winch cradle. I upgraded this winch from steel cable to synthetic with a nice hawse fairlead.
Decisions pending.
I already have a 4x4 pickup, and am not 100% certain I will use 4 wheel drive in the van often enough to justify the expense of a 4wd conversion. I am considering lifting it as a 2WD, regear and selectable locker in the factory Dana 60. With the recovery gear I have and no small portion of keeping my head out of my backside, I shouldn't need 4wd. I off roaded my old VW camper van throughout Arizona, California and Oregon in my 20s, well, 30 years later I should be able to handle the logging and forest service roads I am aiming for just fine with the occasionaly winch my butt out of a stupid situation for good measure...

dbhost

If anyone is curious about the van, here it is. I have since upgraded to a billet grille as the OE one bothered me looks wise... The Joolca Ensuite worked out great, I have in trips since used a 10x10 backpackers tarp, some suction cup anchors and some adjustable tent poles to set up an awning, and the Joolca moved back behind that...

My concern with a 4wd conversion is if it will get me feeling over confident to the point I get myself in a bad situation. I am aiming for more ground clearance certainly, and good grip, My main travel goals are gravel backroads, logging roads, forest service roads and beaches... Beaches and Forest service roads under snowy conditions make me give consideration to 4wd...

canelaattxrenfest2023-jpg.819527

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior