Upgrades (mild build) to my 2015 Power Wagon.

Halligan

Adventurer
So my PW has been mostly stock since I brought it home 5 years ago. When I first got it I had great idea's of going to Moab, Colorado, and all the other awesome places I see you folks enjoying. Then reality slapped me in the face with a sick parent, two house moves and a bunch of other life nonsense. My personal drama has cooled off a bit but with all the world crap going on I figured I best get living for today.

Since my trucks a PW it's pretty damn good from the factory so until today my only upgrades have been 305/70/17 Toyo's, a Carli diff guard and a Retrax tonneau cover. However, I've been contemplating some upgrades lately and finally pulled the trigger. These upgrades include the truck mechanicals and some others to assist with "getting out there".

Today I Installed new front Thuren springs, trackbar, Thuren/Fox 2.0 shocks, and the new Mopar upgraded drag link to replace the lousy one my truck came with.

Tomorrow I'll do the rear shocks and may get around to installing my Yakima Overhaul HD racks which will carry the new Smittybilt RTT I just received. As a side note I specifically ordered the Retrax cover last year because Yakima racks will mount to the tonneau with a special adapter kit. Beyond that I'll be adding some Rotopax goodies and outfitting the truck for some mild overlanding.

After being a member of this forum for quite some time I hope to maybe run across some of you while I'm out there.

I'll try and post some pics now but who knows how that will turn out.

Halligan

Adventurer
It seems the factory Power Wagon springs are about an inch longer unloaded than the Thuren spring I ordered, which are supposed to be a 1/2 higher once in the truck. I actually didn't take a before measurement but I'd say it sits slightly higher now.
F2E9E115-72CE-453B-9CDF-516962512859.jpegEDD83B52-9684-4324-A2E4-F4F52A1FD0F9.jpeg

Last edited:

Halligan

Adventurer
The factory Bilstein shocks still had life left in them. One top nut was a pain to remove, ended up with the Sawzall. The drag link in the photo is the inferior design where Ram had a recall because it could loosen up at the adjuster sleeve. Ram's answer was to tack weld the jamb nut vs. replacing with upgraded part. That's total BS because now unless you cut the weld you can't make any adjustments. The 2019 and newer truck have a redesigned drag link that retrofits older trucks so I purchased it myself and swapped it in.
0D3AFC0F-9B27-4A69-9372-F7B7BE361AE7.jpeg

Last edited:

Halligan

Adventurer
Upgraded drag link adjustment. Much better design.

Attachments

• 440D849B-270C-461F-B2CD-36B760E0B733.jpeg
    440D849B-270C-461F-B2CD-36B760E0B733.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 36

Explorerinil

Observer
So my PW has been mostly stock since I brought it home 5 years ago. When I first got it I had great idea's of going to Moab, Colorado, and all the other awesome places I see you folks enjoying. Then reality slapped me in the face with a sick parent, two house moves and a bunch of other life nonsense. My personal drama has cooled off a bit but with all the world crap going on I figured I best get living for today.

Since my trucks a PW it's pretty damn good from the factory so until today my only upgrades have been 305/70/17 Toyo's, a Carli diff guard and a Retrax tonneau cover. However, I've been contemplating some upgrades lately and finally pulled the trigger. These upgrades include the truck mechanicals and some others to assist with "getting out there".

Today I Installed new front Thuren springs, trackbar, Thuren/Fox 2.0 shocks, and the new Mopar upgraded drag link to replace the lousy one my truck came with.

Tomorrow I'll do the rear shocks and may get around to installing my Yakima Overhaul HD racks which will carry the new Smittybilt RTT I just received. As a side note I specifically ordered the Retrax cover last year because Yakima racks will mount to the tonneau with a special adapter kit. Beyond that I'll be adding some Rotopax goodies and outfitting the truck for some mild overlanding.

After being a member of this forum for quite some time I hope to maybe run across some of you while I'm out there.

I'll try and post some pics now but who knows how that will turn out.
I have the retrax pro Xr and yakama overhaul hd and love it, I’m running the yakama rotopax mounts with the sidebar. You’ll be happy with it!

Halligan

Adventurer
I have the retrax pro Xr and yakama overhaul hd and love it, I’m running the yakama rotopax mounts with the sidebar. You’ll be happy with it!

Thanks, our setups will be the same. I ordered all the Yakima stuff through REI last month and got 20% off the whole order so that helped. I'm waiting on the sidebars and Kayak racks to arrive. I'm hoping I can squeeze the tent and kayak racks on the 68" crossbars but not sure yet. Overall while it was a lot of money to spend I think it will all come together nicely.

Next year will be new wheels and 35's.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Great upgrades so far. You're pretty much set to go as is with a PW- Just get out and go!

What else is on the upgrade list? I'd say maybe some ditch lights, some interior stuff, medical bag and hit the trail... maybe also a rtt?

Oh, also, post a pic of the truck!

Adventurous

Explorer
Mild is sometimes best. No need to go crazy.

I'd second the ditch lights. May sound and look like a superfluous item, but I can attest to how nice it is having the extra light when maneuvering a large vehicle around tight trails at night.

Glad to see that RAM has fixed the drag link issue. I went with the Synergy as that was all that was available at the time. (n) for the welded adjuster nut "fix".

I miss seeing 5 year old vehicles with an undercarriage that looks that clean...

Halligan

Adventurer
Great upgrades so far. You're pretty much set to go as is with a PW- Just get out and go!

What else is on the upgrade list? I'd say maybe some ditch lights, some interior stuff, medical bag and hit the trail... maybe also a rtt?

Oh, also, post a pic of the truck!

Thanks SDDiver5. I'll may look into some ditch lights. As for interior items I plan to install a GMRS radio as it seems to be a required item on many organized events. I've already applied for and received my FCC license to be all legal with the radio. As a firefighter/EMT for the last 23 years you can bet I'll have a well equipped medical bag. The RTT is in my basement ready to be installed once the rack are on the truck. Lastly, I'll post a pic of my truck once I get everything on it.

Halligan

Adventurer
I miss seeing 5 year old vehicles with an undercarriage that looks that clean...

I"ll say it does look pretty clean considering I live in Massachusetts so it's subjected to road salt. The truck has also been out on Cape Cod beaches and down some local trails to get mudded up pretty good. I try and clean the undercarriage the best I can and it's also been Fluid Filmed a couple of times. I actually Fluid Filmed it a couple months ago and while it's great for rust prevention it's also really good at making me and my clothes look pretty disgusting when crawling around installing shocks and suspension.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Thanks SDDiver5. I'll may look into some ditch lights. As for interior items I plan to install a GMRS radio as it seems to be a required item on many organized events. I've already applied for and received my FCC license to be all legal with the radio. As a firefighter/EMT for the last 23 years you can bet I'll have a well equipped medical bag. The RTT is in my basement ready to be installed once the rack are on the truck. Lastly, I'll post a pic of my truck once I get everything on it.
Dude it sounds like you're ready to roll!

Adventurous

Explorer
I"ll say it does look pretty clean considering I live in Massachusetts so it's subjected to road salt. The truck has also been out on Cape Cod beaches and down some local trails to get mudded up pretty good. I try and clean the undercarriage the best I can and it's also been Fluid Filmed a couple of times. I actually Fluid Filmed it a couple months ago and while it's great for rust prevention it's also really good at making me and my clothes look pretty disgusting when crawling around installing shocks and suspension.

That is impressive! I Fluid Filmed my truck this past winter too to protect from the salt, and while the truck is no worse for the wear, I've ruined several t-shirts working underneath. Guess its time to go to the car wash and rid myself of the Fluid Film until this November.

As far as ditch light brackets go, I've only found two options. Zroadz at $150, and these at $50. I chose the second, but have yet to install them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998