Upgrading the jeeps rear dif

goin camping

Explorer
Hi All, So after almost getting stuck about three miles from nowhere. It is clear I need to upgrade from the open rear dif.

What are my options and a ballpark estimate of cost on a locking or limited slip rear dif?

The jeep is a 1995 wrangler with a 4.0 and a manuel trans.

BigAl

Expedition Leader
If your tires are 32" or less, I would look at a lunch box locker. This locker type just replaces the spider gears and does not require the expensive/complicated gear set up. You can do it yourself for $250ish.

Last edited:

goin camping

Explorer
Wardlow, I do have a winch but out in the Mojave where I live and play. Very few things to hook the winch too. I'd just rather get more out of the rear end than pounding in a stake to hook the cable too.

Big Al, Please tell me more about this lunchbox set up. My tire size is 32.

BigAl

Expedition Leader
YUKON DANA 35 SPARTAN LOCKER - 1.560 BORE

F14518649.gif

Dana 35 Spartan Locker 1.560

Spartan Locker for Dana 35 with 27 spline axles (1.560 Bore is for 94 and newer Dana 35's). The Spartan Locker by USA Standard Gear is a mechanical locker that replaces the spiders in a standard case. The Spartan Locker's design does not use the thrust washers and has a revolutionary spring and pin design that makes installation a snap! The couplers and drivers are made from 9310 steel, for added strength. Each Spartan Locker carries a one year warranty against defect.

Price:$246.24

goin camping

Explorer
YUKON DANA 35 SPARTAN LOCKER - 1.560 BORE

F14518649.gif

Dana 35 Spartan Locker 1.560

Spartan Locker for Dana 35 with 27 spline axles (1.560 Bore is for 94 and newer Dana 35's). The Spartan Locker by USA Standard Gear is a mechanical locker that replaces the spiders in a standard case. The Spartan Locker's design does not use the thrust washers and has a revolutionary spring and pin design that makes installation a snap! The couplers and drivers are made from 9310 steel, for added strength. Each Spartan Locker carries a one year warranty against defect.

Price:$246.24

Sounds good, now to find installation instructions.

Update and question. From what I saw. This installation does not require adjustments or setting backlash etc. It's just remove and replace. Can it be this cheap and easy?

Last edited:

nkorep2

If you have a dana 35 rear end, from what I understand you should be careful with how much skinny pedal you use. That axles is said to be weak. Especially if you're running 32s, a locker may be a bad idea. Another thing to consider is if you daily drive the jeep, it may kinda become a pain. People say they get used to it, but it does jerk alot. If you wanna lock the rear, put in a selectable ARB or OX. To really do it right, change the axle to a Dana 44 or Ford 8.8 and then lock it.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Sounds good, now to find installation instructions.

Update and question. From what I saw. This installation does not require adjustments or setting backlash etc. It's just remove and replace. Can it be this cheap and easy?

Yes it is easy, it just replaces the factory spider gears. Start with removing the tires, then the diff cover, then the c-clip if it's a d35, slide the shafts out 2 to 3 inches, then the spider gears basically fall out. Install in reverse order. If you have a d44, then I believe the only difference is you will have 4 bolts behind the brakes that hold the shaft in that you will need to remove for the shafts to come out.

I ran an EZ-Locker in my old d35 for 7 years without any problems, but I was also a big fan of going easy on the gas pedal. Please do be careful in the snow, the rear end will try coming around on you when you least expect it. I removed it and sold it with a new spring and pin kit for 70% of what I paid for it new.

Last edited:

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
Wardlow, I do have a winch but out in the Mojave where I live and play. Very few things to hook the winch too. I'd just rather get more out of the rear end than pounding in a stake to hook the cable too.
What will you do when you get stuck with a locker? See my sig. Lockers make it more so.
If you off-road alone I'd spend the money on a good ground anchor first, like a pull-pal.

JPK

Explorer

Big Al, Please tell me more about this lunchbox set up. My tire size is 32.

The locker is a great idea, but if you run alone much its only a matter of time before you are good and stuck, locker or not. For that inevitable time you should consider a Pull Pal, which is a relatively light weight colapsable (i.e. storable) winch anchor.

Here is a link: http://www.pullpal.com/

AEV thinks enough of them that their JK Hi Lift mount is made to also accomodate storing a Pull Pal.

BTW, I am under the impression that all 4.0L TJ's have D44 rear axles.

JPK

Eric S.

Adventurer
Locking a Dana 35 is a very bad idea. You will soon find yourself stuck with a broken axle shaft instead. I would look for a Ford 8.8 axle or D44 first (assuming you at least have a HighLift and come-along) You might be able to find an axle that is already upgraded or at least has a limited slip, which might be good enough.
If you are really set on a locker maybe just put a lunchbox locker in the front.

BTW, I am under the impression that all 4.0L TJ's have D44 rear axles.

JPK

I think that's only Rubicon TJ's. Which would be great to find a pair of those for a good price. 4:11. ARB, and D44 front and rear. They usually go for quite a bit though.

Last edited:

CoronaKJ

Adventurer
The Dana 35 rear end is not an axle you want to put a locker in. Unfortunately a rear end upgrade to a 44, 8.8, 9" 60 are all better options than the 35 and all have there draw backs and price also. I would figure out what your end goal is with your jeep and decide what level of rear end you should go with and then save up. In the mean time take it easy on the "Skinny pedal" and go with a buddy who you can strap to. Just my opinion of course.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78