Upland Hunting - General

Don't know about safer, but having an elk already in the freezer helps lol

Didn't hunt ptarmigan again, although the season isn't over yet...
I’ve never hunted birds with a drunk who threatened to shoot the poker tent lantern out, and for that matter never hunted birds with people who had a poker tent.

On an elk hunt in1983, (my last big game hunt) that is exactly what happened.

Last edited:

Highlander

The Strong, Silent Type
Didn't hunt ptarmigan again, although the season isn't over yet...

That is on my list... though I know how much challenge it is for the hunter and the dog.
That and the blue grouse might become my favorite based what I see in the video and photos.

Wyo37

And today was rock bottom! Saw 60-70 huns, probably 7 different coveys. Blaze found them, and proceeded to run right through all of them. Heartbreaking lol.

Wyo37

That is on my list... though I know how much challenge it is for the hunter and the dog.
That and the blue grouse might become my favorite based what I see in the video and photos.
Blues are an odd bird. If you get on them early enough in the season, out in sage brush feeding on hoppers, they are awesome. In the timber, they'll just hop to a tree limb...

Last edited:

Highlander

The Strong, Silent Type
In the timber, they'll just hop to a tree limb...
My friend hunts them in western Washington. Her dog points them on the trees if there enough wind.
Surprisingly, where she hunts them in the same mountains there are a lot of ruffed grouse but on lower altitude.

plh

Explorer
We had another excellent past 3 day weekend in South Dakota chasing ditch chickens (Pheasants). Even the 11 month old Lab (mix) started to catch on, she had some excellent training partners.

Attachments

• IMG_20231111_124144139_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20231111_124144139_HDR.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20231112_125551088_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20231112_125551088_HDR.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20231111_193008580_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20231111_193008580_HDR.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 6

waveslider

Outdoorsman
Indeed! In this case, elk hunting was simply as an excuse poor behavior.

Sadly, times haven't changed much. Only now the ever-increasing "hunters" have a SxS they can drive all across the roadless landscape and wilderness, roads they can drive down looking to shoot stuff out the window so they can post it on the 'gram and a growing cadre of Social Media misfits that tell people who don't have any business shooting a critter at 100 yards that they can shoot one at a thousand yards but only if they have...<insert sponsored gun here>

Sadly, times haven't changed much. Only now the ever-increasing "hunters" have a SxS they can drive all across the roadless landscape and wilderness, roads they can drive down looking to shoot stuff out the window so they can post it on the 'gram and a growing cadre of Social Media misfits that tell people who don't have any business shooting a critter at 100 yards that they can shoot one at a thousand yards but only if they have...<insert sponsored gun here>
Just spoke to friends who returned from hunting sharpies and Huns in Montana. They report large groups coming into the area, taking over public lands, and ruining the hunting for many others. Stunts like road hunting and shooting from or across the road, multiple hunters sweeping an entire area in a single paSS, out of control dogs…

Looks like another sport and area is being abused by the knuckle dragging crowd.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior