Ursa Minor Pop-Top Jeep JK

aristobrat

Observer
The OEM top is three separate pieces - the back piece (that stops at the roll bar) and the two "Freedom Panels" pieces that sit over the driver and passenger.

From reading the thread here, the UM top is one solid piece that runs from the back all the way to the windshield. Doesn't sound like a modified OEM to me, but who knows.

Also, if you haven't already, do a quick google of "jk wrangler hard top leak". OEM doesn't appear to mean much in the Wrangler world in terms of being "leak free".

skates04

Adventurer
It is not a modified OEM top, less chance of it leaking since there are no freedom panels. They don't include windows to save cost and the back windows are pretty useless either way.

I really like this product but not sure I can swing 7k for it. You can get a nice AEV rack and a RTT for 2000 and have more room in the tent plus an annex. But I do like the benifits of the J30 if I had the extra $$ I would get the J30.

KellyM

Adventurer
Hi bigfish:

Do you have any pictures of the Rigid Industries A-Series warm white low intensity LEDs you had John install? I am getting ready to place my order.

Thanks,

Kelly

aristobrat

Observer
Hi JDaPP:

Would you mind posting a picture of your all black top? I am trying to decide what to do color-wise when I order my J30. I have a white Jeep and was originally thinking of painting the sides of the top portion black like you intended.
I'm thinking painting the sides of the top portion is the way I'd go about it. It'd be cool to see a picture of how it looks.

JDaPP

Adventurer
Hi JDaPP:

Would you mind posting a picture of your all black top? I am trying to decide what to do color-wise when I order my J30. I have a white Jeep and was originally thinking of painting the sides of the top portion black like you intended.

Thanks,

Kelly

SNC00404.jpgSNC00405.jpgSNC00411.jpgSNC00412.jpgSNC00407.jpg

Couldn't get a good side view because it was about to rain. If you need that a profile shot I will try to get it tomorrow evening.

Ursa Minor

UMV Q and A Continued...

I assumed UM was buying OEM tops and then converting them to accommodate the J30 camper top. Is there a UM rep that can address this concern?
Hi Wiant,
The J30 is a complete replacement top designed and manufactured in house by Ursa Minor, it is not a modified OEM top. We use some OEM parts in the camper, such as the rear hatch glass, because we can't economically tool up for that and it's much easier if you should break a window get a replacement.

If UM is NOT using OEM tops I'm significantly worried about the consistency of fit from an aftermarket top with the JKU frame. How many stories have we all read or heard about aftermarket tops leaking like crazy? $500 is a hefty additional charge to get the J30 to minimum OEM specs and does not compensate us for the risk of ending up with a leaky roof for 3x the price.
All vehicles experience frame twist in hard use, and variance in assembly. With the Jeep Wrangler, the top is designed to be removed, swapped for soft tops and re-installed. In the process, gaskets can compress and become set, bolts are over tightened or under tightened, parts shift or get misaligned. For a brand new Jeep, a top may be installed by the factory, the dealer, or a retail owner. You might guess that Jeep has a few more engineers in house than we do, but even so, the freedom tops from both Jeep suppliers have had documented leakage issues. As mentioned, there's a 50 page booklet (google will find it for you) to help Jeep dealers chase leaks down. Unfortunately, there's some chance you might have a leak in your Jeep top. It might be due to a design issue, a manufacturing issue or an installation issue. This holds for any top, from Jeep, Ursa Minor, or other aftermarket companies.

Buying from a small manufacturer such as Ursa Minor, the difference is that if a leak (or any issue) should occur, a customer calls us (or emails) and we get on it. For the very few times we have had issues (as noted even in this thread), we were able to guide the owner to a fix (such as installing a missing part, or resealing a fastener, etc) in fairly short order. We also modify things as we find improvements. The 2014 J30 has a number of improvements, based on customer feedback and our experience - and this version is currently shipping.

You can get a nice AEV rack and a RTT for $2000 and have more room in the tent plus an annex.

For discussion, a basic comparison of a J30 to a hard shell RTT. Shipping, resale price of OEM top, taxes, and installation may sway the numbers more in one direction or the other.
UMV J30Roof Top Tent
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport with Soft Top$26,000$26,000
Upgrade to Hard Top with Jeep Purchase+$ 900+$ 900
Sell OEM Hardtop - $1500- $0
AEV Rack n/a+$1000
AutoHome – Airland Medium (57 x 83) n/a+$2900
J30 Hard Top + Quarter Windows +$6250n/a
TOTAL$31,650$30,800
A fold over RTT (or J180!) will have more room, but the soft top limits rack use. I don't know of any other RTT option for the Jeep that offers standing room in the Jeep or open/close from inside the Jeep. As mentioned, the profile is much lower - your mileage may vary but it'll be better with a J30! Here's a rough visual comparison of a J30, the ARB Simpson and a Maggiolina.
3waycomparison.JPG

Just tell John at UMV…Some of us have been very patient... :coffee:
I hear you bigfish, patience noted and much appreciated. Couple key parts I needed fell into place at SEMA for that project. You're on the first to know list don't worry…

I'm thinking painting the sides of the top portion is the way I'd go about it. It'd be cool to see a picture of how it looks.
If I get a photo of one painted like this, I'll post it. We have not painted one on the edges in-house for a Jeep, but have for ECamper customers.

cheers,
John

skates04

Adventurer
Hi Wiant,

For discussion, a basic comparison of a J30 to a hard shell RTT. Shipping, resale price of OEM top, taxes, and installation may sway the numbers more in one direction or the other.
UMV J30Roof Top Tent
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport with Soft Top$26,000$26,000
Upgrade to Hard Top with Jeep Purchase+$ 900+$ 900
Sell OEM Hardtop - $1500- $0
AEV Rack n/a+$1000
AutoHome – Airland Medium (57 x 83) n/a+$2900
J30 Hard Top + Quarter Windows +$6250n/a
TOTAL$31,650$30,800

cheers,
John

The numbers do sway me to your product and deep down I know the J30 is what I really want... For comparison I was thinking a thousand for a RTT, I have found a nearly new ARB Simpson III for 1k, or CVT does their group buy in March. BUT I do understand I am kind of comparing apples to oranges because I am not talking hard topped RTT like the auto home. I would probably get a Gobi Rack, which is 500-600 more than the AEV rack, which in the end just puts me closer to the J30...

Honestly, Not having wind noise of a rack/tent, better mileage, easy setup, are all things that add up to a better experience which is going to get me out on more camping/ 4wheeling trips hopefully with the family.

Thanks for letting me think out loud....

Thank god I get a lot of overtime at work so I can hopefully make one of these happen! I lived in San Diego for several years and we need a good excuse to get back for a visit :)

basecamper

Wiant;How many stories have we all read or heard about aftermarket tops leaking like crazy?[/QUOTE said:
There is a Ursa Minor rep on here that i'm sure will answer your question but this comment is rather humorous. Do you have any idea how many factory tops leak? If you believe 10% of what you read on the internet its still a huge number! Albeit a lot of them are installer error with front panels being installed wrong but still...

Septu

Explorer
It is not a modified OEM top, less chance of it leaking since there are no freedom panels. They don't include windows to save cost and the back windows are pretty useless either way.

I really like this product but not sure I can swing 7k for it. You can get a nice AEV rack and a RTT for 2000 and have more room in the tent plus an annex. But I do like the benifits of the J30 if I had the extra $$ I would get the J30.

If you're going to compare apples to apples, you would be looking at an Autohome, CVT or James Baroud clam shell type tent - all of which run in the 2700-3500 price range.

Edit, Meh should have finished reading the page before responding, as UM & skates already posted.

Last edited:

KellyM

Adventurer
Just ordered our J30. Can't wait to get it installed and get off-road with it. It should be ready in March.

Thanks to all for taking the time to post up the information, and thanks to MojaveKJ for letting us crawl around his J30 instead of having to drive to San Diego.

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
Just ordered our J30. Can't wait to get it installed and get off-road with it. It should be ready in March.

Thanks to all for taking the time to post up the information, and thanks to MojaveKJ for letting us crawl around his J30 instead of having to drive to San Diego.

Congrats, you'll love it!
It was finally dry the other day so I open mine up to make sure it was dry. It was. I laid down up top and day dreamed about the spring/summer. Can't wait to get out and camp in mine again!

KellyM

Adventurer
Congrats, you'll love it!
It was finally dry the other day so I open mine up to make sure it was dry. It was. I laid down up top and day dreamed about the spring/summer. Can't wait to get out and camp in mine again!

Thanks, Brian.

For those of you running stock JKUR suspension with your J30, what kind of impact did adding the J30 have? How does it handle (steering/body roll/brake dive, etc.) with the J30 and a full load of camping gear? It looks like I may need to wait until the fall or winter to upgrade the suspension.

JDaPP

Adventurer
I noticed a difference, but it was miniscule and not enough to change anything in my suspension. I went from soft top to J30, so if anything it helped make it feel a little more stable to me. I would equate it to carrying two extra people going from softop to J30 as far as handling goes.
Now I will caveat that with the fact that I put airbags in the rear suspension a week after I got it and didn't put the J30 on until ~4 months later.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle