Ursa Minor Pop-Top Jeep JK

bigfish

Observer
I'm going to test that over the next 24 months, and I'll get back to you :)

-Dan

For some people, a cheap dirt bike and a backpacking tent constitute a "global travel platform". For the solo traveler, the J30 will certainly do it well too, but I'd sell of the Jeep and pick up an RB-50 Sportsmobile to do the things you do.

aam1023

I went with the liner material on the sides with the very top being the white gelcoat purely aesthetic reasons since my Jeep is fire engine red with black accents I thought the white would look like crap :)

Yes, aesthetically the perimeter liner with white gelcoat top is a good look. Aside from that, still would like to hear from some of the longer-term owners as to how the liner material holds up in the sun vs. the gelcoat.

When I think of a spectrum of rig set ups I'm trying to dial in, the J30 comes pretty close to meeting my needs and habits a little better than my SMB. If I had the time and money, I'd have both. And for the reasons you listed, you may want a van platform after all.

I live and work in an urban environment; tight parking, lots of parking garage use, but when I do get to the woods the inclines can be suddenly steep and rain (thus loose gravel and mud) in this area comes unexpectedly. So, when I start thinking "van" my 4x4 options are either limited or a conversion is $$$$. And if I lift at all, I start running into parking garage issues.

Over the weekend I had my high top (fixed top) SMB in the Cohutta Wilderness. There was a tree partially down but not on the road. A few inches lower and I would have had to turn around. Yes, I should have had a chainsaw (and I bought one yesterday) but sometimes you forget these things. Once you have a domestic van outfitted, especially with a SMB roof, they get to be big vehicles. A lot of times folks end up putting a rocket box on them as well.

As for the internal kitchen set up; I cook outside 99% of the time anyway. The solar shower system and curtain I have for my VW is my favorite set up for clean up as well. My SMB had a shower inside, and I did use it, but my VW solar shower was more spacious and I could get the water just as hot. So, no reason I can't do a similar set up on a J30.

On this forum and others I see folks mention "stealth camping" a lot. I sometimes wonder if folks overestimate how often they will actually do this. I camp more than anyone I know personally and I can count the number of "stealth" occasions on one hand. But that's a classic example of how everyone's needs are different. I basically never do it so it's not a design criteria for me.

I think there is a gap in the adventure vehicle market. If someone would make the modern VW Westfalia with all wheel drive, air conditioning, AND reliable I think it would do very well. You could have urban maneuverability with off-road capability. Or, if Jeep would do this with an integrated cabin on the back end, kind of like a modern Pinzgauer! http://www.autoblog.com/photos/jeep-mighty-fc-concept/

Just like everything in life, it's a trade off.

The J30, and other camper setups like it, are based on a Jeep or other mid-size 4x4. For me, the trails I run in CO are tight and technical. Full size trucks are often denied the places I go, much less an extra heavy van. However, you lose that interior living\cooking space. That's OK for me, because my campsite stays are generally overnight and then onto the next. IMHO, the J30 is not an global travel platform, or a mobile surf/bike/ski shack that you'll live out of long term or in extreme (cold/wet) climates. It's perfect, however for the week excursion in temperate conditions, way off the beaten path. Think the Rubicon Trail, or your generic alpine trail of narrow shelf roads and switchbacks. If that style of trail is the objective, than the J30 is for you. If setting up camp at the ski resort parking lot where the interior heated space is desired, than #vanlife is for you.

That's not to say you couldn't force it and build a monster van to take on challenging trails, or take a J30 on a winter trip. It's just that those options are less than ideal.

Unfortunately, there is no perfect solution for 100% of conditions. You should simply take a good look at your personal objectives and find the best fit. For me it was the J30, but I lust over the sportsmobiles just the same.

Thank you kindly for taking the time to respond!!

I personally am generally a minimalist ultralight backpacking camper. Or going "car camping" when I can't get the lady to agree in a remote spot I often discover and mark coordinates while backpacking. Do I need a JKU and a winch to get there, not that I've encountered yet. Did the dirtbiking and enduro riding bit for many years, as well as off-roading in my everyday and would rather a simplistic on foot/kayak/climb. I am getting to a spot that has a trout stream or hiking access, not to go off-roading (living on the East Coast probably plays a big part in this) so its a fire road, state forest road, etc. So for that I can't help but want a T6 4motion TDI (that we'll never get) or am wishing that they bring 4x4 after the first model year (due October) of the Mercedes Metris. I'm certainly that niche. Don't think I need full-blown off road vehicle since I travel a few thousand miles for a week and a half road trip, figure the JKU with the J30 would be quite fatiguing to cover those miles, even switching off with the lady. I'd also like a vehicle I can use as my everyday (short 40 min round trip to work, 18mi) since my 20k+ a year is traveling to go rock climbing, kayaking, hiking, fly fishing, etc and frequently leave camp to explore during the day whether it be into town, a brewery, or usually a hiking spot, scenery, etc. So with the majority of my miles per year used for my outdoor activities I am torn between my limited options. Van (non-high-top) would be outdoor cooking, indoor/outdoor 12V water heated, fridge. I know this could be accomplished with a J30 with most likely better resale of the Jeep itself, however at a MUCH higher price of fuel (hopefully will be corrected it 2017 model year). Sorry if this sounds off-topic but have been following since the beginning and read every single post since it started and just trying to decide my next adventure vehicle, and seems like I'll have to wait a year or two. Right now I'm spoiled in millage and refinement with a 12' VW Golf TDI 6spd, however very sketchy getting to my spots and takes longer than I like to setup/break down camp (putting away wet is never fun). I've had many vehicles from a lifted TRD Sport to a coupe. The perfect vehicle doesn't really exist for me (my lady and Whippet, Walden), unless you could have an outback or crosstrek with a pop-top (not RTT, which diminishes fuel savings) or of course a T6 California; almost talked myself out of a high-roof short Sprinter 4x4.

Last edited:

Ultralite

Adventurer
Sorry if this sounds off-topic but have been following since the beginning and read every single post since it started and just trying to decide my next adventure vehicle

I think this is all very pertinent discussion because a lot of folks are finding the J30 through similar research and we all seem to share many interests. And this thread is the best source of information on it that I've found anywhere. Thanks to all who helped me as well......

goin camping

Explorer
Drivethruecp,

You have a lot more research to do. If I read you right you have to provide enough luxury for your wife to be happy. Have enough road manners and comfort for a daily driver/long distance. Add into that it will mostly be on fire roads.

Once you sort the above all out then comes wether you like and enjoy the vehicle that fits.

Frankly I am curious what you will end up with.

Ultralite

Adventurer
Yep, I've considered and looked at both the Astro and Element. If I understand the Element situation correctly, I think the top required an "SC" trim level that had the rear sunroof which Honda quit making. If that's correct then someone would be looking for a used vehicle in both situations. I love used cars and that's historically what I've bought almost exclusively.

But, now I'm older and have more money and less time. Busy family and job.

The JKU and J30 offer me the chance to buy "new, off the shelf" which appeals to me more now than it used to.

Charlie56

Adventurer
To those who sold their Sportsmobile's, why?? Why trade a "internally" set-up van for more of an "externally" set up (kitchen, etc) Jeep? I am personally torn between a mid-sized van and a J30 setup, leaning more toward a mid-sized van for stealth, security, and faster setup of camp, less driver fatigue over long highway hauls...

Ultralight and Bigfish have addressed the first question. I am in agreement with about everything they say. Additionally, my wife just didn’t feel comfortable either driving or riding in the big van along shelf roads with steep drop-offs. It was a “feeling” issue and maybe not 100% tangible but it was strong enough for us to make a change. I LOL at the comment of the tree potentially stopping the big van. It stopped us on the very first outing (had to backtrack 30 miles). Came very close to happening a half dozen times more.

If you didn't have the pop-top would you like the SMB better/worse for different reasons?
If it wasn’t for the pop-top on the Jeep, the switch never would have happened. (I wasn’t going to go with a RTT.) Like Bigfish, we very rarely stay at one site more than a day so having the pop-top for quick setup and takedown was essential. I think the SMB pop-top penthouse sets the bar for that aspect. Although I did come across (and drooled over) a 2012 LR Defender 110 with a poptop two weeks ago. (It had been imported into the States on a one-year exemption) Funny how you always want what you can’t have.

aam1023

I spoke with John at UMV today, he called me at the very end of his work week in response to my message from earlier in the day. Great guy who gave me honest feedback and patiently answered my noob questions :)

I decided on a J30 with a full gelcoat top (better UV durability, can be protected with waxes, etc.), half sliding glass for both side windows, all internal power options, headliner, and cargo bay LEDs. I'm also adding on a Genesis dual battery system and a Fiamma 1.8m side awning. Will be driving to SD to pick it up in just over a month. I also asked about an external side-mounted ladder, he plans to have one available sometime next year.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
I decided on a J30 with a full gelcoat top (better UV durability, can be protected with waxes, etc.), half sliding glass for both side windows, all internal power options, headliner, and cargo bay LEDs. I'm also adding on a Genesis dual battery system and a Fiamma 1.8m side awning. Will be driving to SD to pick it up in just over a month. I also asked about an external side-mounted ladder, he plans to have one available sometime next year.

Very nice. It sounds like we'll be there at the same time, we'll have to have an official J30 meet at a brewery :)

-Dan

Presto88

Adventurer
Yep, I've considered and looked at both the Astro and Element. If I understand the Element situation correctly, I think the top required an "SC" trim level that had the rear sunroof which Honda quit making. If that's correct then someone would be looking for a used vehicle in both situations. I love used cars and that's historically what I've bought almost exclusively.

But, now I'm older and have more money and less time. Busy family and job.

The JKU and J30 offer me the chance to buy "new, off the shelf" which appeals to me more now than it used to.

I don't think that the SC trim level had anything to do with UrsaMinor top compatability. My understanding, and I did look into this at one time, was that all you needed was an Element with the rear sunroof which came stock on all of the AWD models. Well, at least until the last couple of years when they did away with the rear sunroof completely. I have an '05 AWD Element and I could have an UrsaMinor top installed on it if I chose to.

Amy H

Observer
I don't think that the SC trim level had anything to do with UrsaMinor top compatability. My understanding, and I did look into this at one time, was that all you needed was an Element with the rear sunroof which came stock on all of the AWD models. Well, at least until the last couple of years when they did away with the rear sunroof completely. I have an '05 AWD Element and I could have an UrsaMinor top installed on it if I chose to.

Not to highjack this thread...It doesn't matter what Element you have. Ursa Minor can cut a sunroof into it when they add the pop top. The only thing I would suggest is to not use an SC Element. If I remember correctly, it sits 1 inch lower to the ground giving you only 5 inches of ground clearance. The rear sunroofs are not on all models. Honda stopped putting in the rear sunroofs in 2009 and the last Honda Elements made were in 2011. I have a 2011 EX Element and highly considered the Ursa Minor top but backed out due lack of power in the 4 cyl. I am hoping to switch to a Jeep one day with the J30.

Don't any of you with the J30 miss your ability of open air tops (freedom top/soft top)? Which some consider one of the stronger features of a wrangler. I'm sure the sleep ability outweighs, but still.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan