Ursa Minor Pop-Top Jeep JK

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
I can't wait to see how a walk around back section is done. Can you explain the sleeping portion of the build?

Are you coming down to have it installed or having it shipped up to you?

The entire "floor" of the J30 will be cut out (the part you normally sleep on) to the full width allowable, and everything behind the roll bar cross-bar immediately behind the front seats.
So you'll be able to walk around that whole area - from my understanding, at 6'2", I'll be able to stand on my flat floor right up to that roll bar near the drivers seat when the J30 is open.

Then we're going to come up with a system to be able to put that sleeping floor of the J30 back in, likely in pieces, with matching mattress sections.
Maybe I would put one section in, then climb up onto it and put the other section in. Not certain yet.
When not needed, those sections and mattress bits will stack above the front seats on the part of the J30 "floor" that's staying stock.

As with everything on this Jeep build, it's too difficult to design ahead of time, and we will figure it out when everything is there infront of us.

I'll be in San Diego to have it installed around October 12-20.

Oh man, I like that idea! It's gonna be kind of like the Earthroamers that are based on JKU's! Only with a J30 instead of a 180. Oh yeah, and you can lop one of the zeros off of the price!

Can't wait to see it finished!

That was exactly my design idea from the very beginning, over 4 years ago when I started planning this build.
It's heavily inspired by what lots of my European and Aussie friends do with Defender 110's and LandCruiser Troopies - sometimes I call it "JeepFalia"
Fully camperised interior, with popup roof for interior living/sleeping space.

It looks like a big announcement is coming about a place where you'll be able to see it exhibited when it's done ;) It's been a VERY good morning!
(fingers crossed)

-Dan

goin camping

Explorer
grecy,

I'm 6-2 and you won't have any problem walking around inside with in the area you mentioned. It might get a touch tight near the roll bar if you have on a cowboy hat and boots.

I do have to give one bit of fair warning on something I learned the hard way. Hoisting yourself up onto a moving panel. That panel may well move on you. Those around you will find this hilarious.

It can be done but there is a learning curve.

In Chula Vista getting #131 installed with eezi awn 270 degree awning! Pictures tomorrow evening I promise!

Edit: btw the drive from Denver with only a bikini top was interesting!

PTO

PTO
Congrats, I'd like to meet up with you when you get back in town to check out your setup. Thinking of doing the same thing. BTW I finally for the straps for the fridge slide.

PTO

PTO
Congrats, I'd like to meet up with you when you get back in town to check out your setup. Thinking of doing the same thing. BTW I finally found the straps for the fridge slide,

Last edited:
Ursa Minor j30 #131 with EeziAwn Manta awning mounted on drivers side. front latches moved to the very front due to awning.

5ade1b207a84f1c30cdc9ed3b5df1d5f.jpg
2637db499f1e24bdb494ecbff861ae81.jpg
5f895569ee7f0a906ad7bec0df7e42d6.jpg
0c7e87b156fe50112a4bbbfe77537adc.jpg
2c8bdd79589b95f1b3a408f2102a1783.jpg
8dd90af7704166e3e9ab97e2d4749473.jpg
f1cc8e9d39c78f6f59d2d025c03481ba.jpg

1bd72c77e967f17d3c02132cb810805a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Charlie56

Adventurer
Fantastic !!!

I have been waiting for John to finish yours to see how the brackets might work for my 1st Generation top.
Now that he has it figured out I can start the process.

Let us know how it performs. Vibration on the roads, etc.

Presto88

Adventurer
Holy hell! That is one beautiful setup! Wow. I'm insanely jealous! Love that color combo, just love it! And the awning is way cool. How much does that thing weigh? I can't see the top of the J30. Did you go with red or just all black?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan